Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early vs. late Headlight Switch ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
anyone got a picture of the pin-layout of a early vs. a late Headlight Switch ???

idea.gif Andy
SLITS
I prolly have both...will look, but I just count the pins.......

ein, zwei, drei, vier.......links, rechts, links...oy, vait ein minuten.
Bleyseng
Mixing Dutch and German....now thats really bad. biggrin.gif jsharp.gif
SLITS
user posted image
michel richard
okay, which is which
SLITS
the one with 10 pins is early....the one with 11 pins is late.....or try babelfish translation av-943.gif
lapuwali
And how many pins are actually REQUIRED? Just 4:

1 +12 in
2 +12 out to side, tail lights (1st position)
3 +12 out to main lights (really, hi/lo switch or relay) (2nd position)
4 +0-+12 out to dash lights (dimmer knob)

The difference is what's split inside the switch v. what's split outside the switch.

Flat VW
I could use a '74 one (late, huh?).

I at times must jiggle the switch to make the lamps come on, just a matter of time.

Are they still offered new anywhere?

John
richardmosselman
That's funny! I have to jiggle mine too (no dirty hijacks please!) So, I'm going to require an early one ('72)?
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 1 2006, 12:28 PM)
Früh - Spät

ah craps, just what i thought ...

oh well ...

i got a really nice *early* switch. anyone wanna trade for a nice *late* switch ???

cool.gif Andy
lapuwali
If you (Andy or anyone) can cope with doing some rewiring, VW switches look nearly identical, have the same functions (two pull positions + twist dimmer), but have fewer terminals and are FAR cheaper. Like I said earlier, the only difference is in what splitting goes on in the switch v. in the harness, so you'd have to devise an adapter "harness" to connect the 914 harness to the VW switch, but it's doable. Same on early v. late 914 switches, really.

I think the only visible difference between the 914 and the VW switches besides the number of terminals is the rubber part of the knob is very slightly different. However, the 914 knob will fit on the VW switch, so even that difference can be nullified.

The price difference is pretty startling: $20-30 (www.cip1.com) v. $400+ (Pelican), so it's well worth the effort to rewire.
SLITS
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 1 2006, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 1 2006, 12:28 PM)
Früh - Spät

ah craps, just what i thought ...

oh well ...

i got a really nice *early* switch. anyone wanna trade for a nice *late* switch ???

cool.gif Andy

How 'bout you PM me an address and I send you a "late" switch...used, unknown, but..............

SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 1 2006, 03:00 PM)
How 'bout you PM me an address and I send you a "late" switch...used, unknown, but..............

well, that would be nice ... beerchug.gif

cool_shades.gif Andy
SLITS
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 1 2006, 04:03 PM)

well, that would be nice ... beerchug.gif

cool_shades.gif Andy

Slits is not nice, but Ron will do it...... lol2.gif
Dave_Darling
Brad Anders was able to open up his headlight switch and clean it up and repair it. Might be worth a look... http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

--DD
Aaron Cox
Ron, can you clean off the late switch so i can read the terminals???

muchas gracias....

it *gasp* may help me fix some gremlins....
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 05:44 PM)
Ron, can you clean off the late switch so i can read the terminals???

muchas gracias....

it *gasp* may help me fix some gremlins....

Cleaned, labeled and parfumeed for the little Corona engineer......toot toot

Oh, you need to look at the image a few posts above....then scratch and sniff..........
Aaron Cox
thank you
Aaron Cox
ron was off on a few pins....

ironically, i think this solves my foglight problem.
Aaron Cox
just for reference in case someone does a search in the future...

this is a fog light/rear defrost switch (same switch - different knob insert)
should be able to read the 3 terminals....
jrcui
I have to replace the switch on my 75... what's the best/easiest way to do it?

Mahalo in Advance... (and thanks for Adidas for hooking me up... money order should be in the mail Sat/Mon).
Vince
lapuwali
QUOTE (jrcui @ Feb 3 2006, 10:49 PM)
I have to replace the switch on my 75... what's the best/easiest way to do it?

Mahalo in Advance... (and thanks for Adidas for hooking me up... money order should be in the mail Sat/Mon).
Vince

Well, the EASIEST way is to call up Pelican and hand them $400 and get a new switch, then just pop it in.

You'll likely have to search on Ebay to try to find a used one that works. If yours doesn't work, look at the site mentioned above and you might be able to repair it yourself.
jim_hoyland
Aaron, Can to label the light switch terminals as to waht each is doing--for reference
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Feb 4 2006, 12:19 PM)
Aaron, Can to label the light switch terminals as to waht each is doing--for reference

haynes manual aint here....

but maybe a project for later in the week
SirAndy

arrived today! smilie_pokal.gif

schank yuu sör ...
smiley_notworthy.gif Andy
914werke
Did some searching but didnt find a definitive answer: Early vs late interchangability

confused24.gif
SirAndy
Holy mother of mummified threads! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.