Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the best way to ship a trans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I'm going to be selling a few tail shifters and before I post them for sale I was wondering what is the best way to ship them? Heavy Duty cardboard box? small pallet with box cover? What have you done in the past?

Thanks.
rick 918-S
Brad Mayuer told me to use a big tupper ware container and pack the crap out of it with bubble wrap. UPS has to take it, but there never happy about it. smash.gif
Aaron Cox
go to walmart. get a 12 dollar RUBBERMAID container. put trans in. wrap wirh carboard etc before putting it in....

ive bought and sold many a trans this way.......

and some dumbass shipped one with oil in it like that to me.... LOL
356&914&912E
FYI

I shipped one to Brad Mayuer from Cal. Per Brad's instructions I used a Carboard Dish box I bought from U-Haul.

Got there fine.

Brad rebuilt it and shipped it back the same way and UPS dropped it and broke off one of the rear mount ears.

Next time I'll use a pallet.

Ron
bondo
I shipped a Borg Warner T-56 trans to iceland.. I basically built a plywood box around it, adding in 2x4 cross beams wherever convenient to attach the trans to. I added a few tie down straps for good measure. Probably overkill for our little transmissions, but it's what I've done.
nomore9one4
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 02:26 PM)
go to walmart. get a 12 dollar RUBBERMAID container. put trans in. wrap wirh carboard etc before putting it in....

ive bought and sold many a trans this way.......

and some dumbass shipped one with oil in it like that to me.... LOL

Great idea! smilie_pokal.gif
MattR
I've used a pallet with a cardboard box screwed over the top. In fact, thats what Porsche uses too.

edit: yeah, straps help too... those narrow ratcheting tie downs that are really cheap.
SLITS
I strap 'em to a pallet, shrink wrap 'em and send 'em by truck ...terminal to terminal.
Faust
Put 'em on the Dawg. Greyhound Express will accept practically anything. I sent a whole Alfa body to California by cutting it in pieces and putting it on the bus. Only trouble is no "door to door", at a price that is even comparable to UPS. Station to Station is cheap.
QUOTE (Faust @ Feb 1 2006, 03:03 PM)
Put 'em on the Dawg. Greyhound Express will accept practically anything. I sent a whole Alfa body to California by cutting it in pieces and putting it on the bus. Only trouble is no "door to door", at a price that is even comparable to UPS. Station to Station is cheap.

Best advice of of all.

With the Dog , it goes in the belly and never get touch until it's arrival. cool.gif
TimT
The guy that rebuilds our turbos sends them in a old playmate cooler packed with bubble wrap. First time UPS showed up with a cooler we were unsure.gif It actually makes sense as a shipping container. We return the turbo cores to him in it.

If you have an old cooler around why not see if a transaxle fits?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 1 2006, 03:29 PM)
I shipped a Borg Warner T-56 trans to iceland.. I basically built a plywood box around it, adding in 2x4 cross beams wherever convenient to attach the trans to. I added a few tie down straps for good measure. Probably overkill for our little transmissions, but it's what I've done.

Who did you use as a shipper?
r_towle
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 1 2006, 06:02 PM)
I strap 'em to a pallet, shrink wrap 'em and send 'em by truck ...terminal to terminal.

agree.gif

That way they can see it, and they cant stack stuff on it cause of the shape...

Rich
914werke
SOT, as Im about to ship a disassembled eng.
Outside of the "Dawg" who is the best of the rest for large heavy pkgs FedX DHL UPS USPS and yes $ is a consideration. unsure.gif
bondo
QUOTE ("*" @ Feb 1 2006, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 1 2006, 03:29 PM)
I shipped a Borg Warner T-56 trans to iceland.. I basically built a plywood box around it, adding in 2x4 cross beams wherever convenient to attach the trans to. I added a few tie down straps for good measure.  Probably overkill for our little transmissions, but it's what I've done.

Who did you use as a shipper?

I don't remember who it was.. one of my conditions of the sale was that it had to be arranged by the buyer.. All I did was crate it up and wait for a truck. It was some sort of freight company.
bondo
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Feb 1 2006, 07:48 PM)
SOT, as Im about to ship a disassembled eng.
Outside of the "Dawg" who is the best of the rest for large heavy pkgs FedX DHL UPS USPS and yes $ is a consideration. unsure.gif

I like fedex ground. Cheaper for heavy stuff, and they're nicer to it than UPS. If you crate something, wrap it in cardboard... they have a surcharge for non-cardboard packages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.