Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 90 degree on 3.0 oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i am having a bitch of a time trying to get my oil cooler welded, no-one wants to touch it....the project is being held up with the welding of the oil cooler...any solutions???? Who can ship me one fast???
SLITS
Well, I was told that since it is a suction line, the fitting was not necessary.

Run a die across the alum tube to give hose something to bite to, slide the hose on and then double hose clamp it.

Never tried it, but.............

Otherwise, you need someone with a heliarc........
J P Stein
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 1 2006, 04:10 PM)
Well, I was told that since .........

.....there is carbon in my combustion chambers, I can pour BBs down the carbs of a revving engine and they will clean it out.
SirAndy
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 1 2006, 04:26 PM)

.....there is carbon in my combustion chambers, I can pour BBs down the carbs of a revving engine and they will clean it out.

haha, where's the thread with the pictures? i forgot to save them to my harddrive ...

man, that was some gud reading ...
av-943.gif Andy
J P Stein
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 1 2006, 04:27 PM)

haha, where's the thread with the pictures? i forgot to save them to my harddrive ...

man, that was some gud reading ...
av-943.gif Andy

The pics are permanently etched into my brain. blink.gif
Series9
The problem is doing the welding in a very tight space. I have Ron's cooler here to make the mod, but haven't yet decided the best way to go about it.

If you don't make a good weld, you run the risk of ruining the cooler.

I have a reasonably good plan to get it done, but it's going to require some machine work once the welding is done. Therefore, my method probably won't be cheap.
Aaron Cox
Headrage's 2.7 had a JB welded on fitting....

and yes. it leaks. ohmy.gif
LvSteveH
As Slits said, I've seen a stock 911 cooler used with a stiff line, and no apparent ill effects.
SLITS
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 1 2006, 05:26 PM)

Well JP, that would really depend upon whether the BBs were copper coated steel or just copper......Does your head rattle a lot?

Personally, I would use a cup of water poured slowly down the intake at about 2500 rpm...but to each his own.

Joe (Series9)...Brad told me that someone I don't remember makes the 90 degree bends necessary to heliarc into the pipe. I would assume that it being soft aluminum, it could be "bent" slightly away from the cooler for more clearance. Like I said, I sent you that cooler to practice on...I don't care if if gets ruined in the process of a learning curve. The non-club will benefit from what you find out.

iamchappy
http://www.clewett.com/

click on specialty items in the Catalog.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Feb 1 2006, 05:12 PM)
http://www.clewett.com/

click on specialty items in the Catalog.

I have nothing but good to say of Clewitt Engineering, and the price quoted is a bargain! I've seen kludged up cooler mods that cost more ............
The Cap'n
J P Stein
That Clewitt jobbie is the way mine is done.....the near one in the pic. The weld is very straight forward....done by Otto's.
I have a kluged up cooler from Motor Miester for cheep if any of you klugers want one.....20 bucks & worth every nickel. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
What's the big deal?

I can't understand why a welding/fab shop won't do it?

You bring them a -16 90°. They media blast it and hog out one end so it slips over the cooler tube.

Tig it on and you are done in 1.5 hours and $100 plus the cost of the fitting.

KT rolleyes.gif

J P Stein
Thw Motor Miester Method for cooler conversions(near as I can tell):

Whack off the old fitting close to the outboard support.
Run a 1 in pipe tap into the hole.
Thread in a pipe to AN straight fitting....suitibly gooped up with something that might seal.
(The threads may be a standard thread.....I doan wanna take it apart as it is a great conversation piece)
It looks as if a hard (not soft) 90 deg 12AN fitting will clear the suspension console.

Enjoy.
John
I don't have a pic of mine right now, but I had a guy at work who is a certified (and damn good to boot) welder TIG my fitting on my cooler. I paid about $20.00 for the fitting and he welded it on for free. I bored out the fitting and scribed the angle that I wanted.

It took him all of 5 minutes to complete the welding. It is much like trekkor's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.