Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cantley914
Hello everyone
On a snowy canadian night, I just put back the braking system on my 73 914. While filling the brake fluid reservoir and pumping the brake pedal I noticed brake fluid coming out of the master cylinder at the brake pedal.

Anything I can do to solve this problem without having to drain the system?

Steph

unsure.gif
double-a
hm, probably no way to fix that without removing the mc. which sucks, because that's my personal least favorite job (so far) on these cars.

~a
TimT
sounds like you get to spend another snowy canadian night installing a new master cylinder laugh.gif
cantley914
Should I change it or rebuild it. Are they rebuildable???
cantley914
Not too bad to remove at this point for "honey" is still on the rotisserie.
TimT
If it were my car I would change it.

One reason the MC starts leaking when you do a bleed is that you get deposits in the MC bore. where the pedal usually stops, when you bleed your pushing the o-rings past these deposits tearing the o-rings.

cantley914
The MC has been removed from the car and sitting on a shelf, dry, for the past 12 years. I guess that explains the leak.

I have another one stillm installed on my parts car. I guess I`ll try that one

beer.gif

mad.gif
Eric_Shea
Rebuild your pedal cluster now as well. I've rebuilt a few M/C's no problems, fairly easy job.

Sounds like you've got it figured out...
cantley914
Last question,

Where can I get a rebuild kit?
john rogers
If it were me, I'd buy a new one since the m/c is sort of the pivotal main part of the braking system and it is nice to know it is perfect.
brp914
I've rblt 2 914 m/c. 1 worked great for years despite the fact it was not an ATE kit and I could only use half the parts. The next one worked great for exactly 1 day and failed at a very inopportune time. Got home, took it apart. Nothing wrong. Put it back, no workie. Never again. I wont cheap out with brakes anymore.
cantley914
Yeah WTH I`ll go with a new one. You guys are right.

Thanks for all the advises.

Long life to the 914 club
What makes this club so great is the people.

Steph

popcorn[1].gif beer.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.