Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad pin day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
The one on the left is a brand new pin from Pelican. It sheared at less than 30ft-lbs. The one on the right is the old pin that I then tried to re-use. It sheared between 40 and 44 ft-lbs.

The correct torque for these is 47 ft-lbs. Right?
messix
maybe inch pounds?
Cap'n Krusty
18 ft/lbs, just like any other 8mm threaded 8.8 bolt or stud. Your fault, NOT the part. The Cap'n
bondo
Maybe 47 ft-lbs is the torque of the nut at the bottom of the ball joint?
billd
The torque on the bottom nut is 180 ft-lbs.

The factory manual clearly lists this "Suspension strut bottom to ball joint" as 47.0 ft-lbs. (page 0.2-2/1) or is this for the old style - that had a hex bolt here?
blitZ
QUOTE (billd @ Feb 2 2006, 12:31 AM)

The factory manual clearly lists this "Suspension strut bottom to ball joint" as 47.0 ft-lbs. (page 0.2-2/1) or is this for the old style - that had a hex bolt here?

I think that's for the castle nut on top of the ball joint. Sometimes I do a reality check when torqueing and I'm not sure if the torque value I found is correct. I ask myself, "Can that small threaded shaft handl xxx lbs"?, that's when I go double check my source.
IronHillRestorations
That was a spendy FUBAR! wacko.gif Those wedge pins aren't cheap!

What the Cap'n said.
rhodyguy
i've been down this road. a couple of tips. really clean the hole in the strut and put a dab of lubricant on the pin (i used clean engine oil). lightly drive the pin fully in with a drift and hammer, the driven end should be pretty flush. DO NOT use the nut to draw the pin in. just a little bit more and, shit!, there goes $15. luckily for you that parts qualifies for free shipping from the bird.

k
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (blitZ @ Feb 2 2006, 03:55 AM)
QUOTE (billd @ Feb 2 2006, 12:31 AM)

The factory manual clearly lists this "Suspension strut bottom to ball joint" as 47.0 ft-lbs.  (page 0.2-2/1) or is this for the old style - that had a hex bolt here?

I think that's for the castle nut on top of the ball joint. Sometimes I do a reality check when torqueing and I'm not sure if the torque value I found is correct. I ask myself, "Can that small threaded shaft handl xxx lbs"?, that's when I go double check my source.

There is no "castle nut on top of the ball joint", not on 911s and 914s. The 47 ft/lbs is for the 10mm through bolt on the early struts. Again, if you don't have a clear picture of the situation, do some research! This stuff gets into the archives and misleads others! The Cap'n
billd
Thanks for the advice guys. That was pretty stupid of me. Particularly the second one. headbang.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (billd @ Feb 2 2006, 11:31 AM)
Thanks for the advice guys. That was pretty stupid of me. Particularly the second one. headbang.gif

at least you only broke a simple pin that can be replaced easily...I have a friend that didn't know the differance between ft/lbs and in/lbs....the aluminum case of his C4 transmission in his '66 Mustang suffered major damage from nearly 12 times too much torque trying to be applied headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.