Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 lids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorpants
I need a front and rear glass? lids for weight reduction on my '76 914 street/race car (which I just got) what do you figure will be the weight savings?

I am thinking to use OEM hinges (less springs) and use 2 x quick release in the corners for each lid

I am not that fussy with fitment (as lont as it fits) - I was just going to spray non matching flat black

great site - I am ditching a bunch of used 914 parts soon too but I need to organise and take pics

well since I am here...any advice on what brand of turbo tie rods to use prices seen to differ wildly

josh
Rand
Getty Design.
lapuwali
Getty generally makes the best stuff. Lots of the parts out there fit poorly out of the box and require a LOT of work to make fit at all. Getty stuff just goes on. They do CF, too, if you're willing to pay for even more lightness.
736conver
welcome.png
Mueller
another vote for Getty, my carbonfiber deck lids fit perfect with the factory hardware (no springs, but used stock hinges and front latch)

fiberglass is much cheaper, since you are painting the lid, ask the companies if they have any "blems" to get the lid even cheaper....
turbo914v8
Hey welcome.png Another fellow Canadian. Where in T.O are you located? We should get together for a drunk.gif
If you need any assistance you have a friend near by.

Getty is the way to go. I am saving my pennies for my CF front lid.
McMark
Now I'm just being redundant, but Getty rocks!
wbergtho
I have AIR lids and they needed a lot of massaging & fitment to make them fit! Go with Getty!
alpha434
What? Are you kidding? Dump the turbo tie rods (too much weight!) and switch to heim joints and aluminum rods.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 2 2006, 09:47 PM)
What? Are you kidding? Dump the turbo tie rods (too much weight!) and switch to heim joints and aluminum rods.

huh.gif
Rand
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 2 2006, 08:47 PM)

Does that have anything to do with this thread? What did I miss? Did somebody delete the post you are responding to or are you spewing garbage again? spank.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (motorpants @ Feb 2 2006, 12:55 PM)

well since I am here...any advice on what brand of turbo tie rods to use prices seen to differ wildly

josh

Read into the last part. I figured that since nobody had covered it already....
Aaron Cox
go to pelican, and search "heim joint tie rod failure"

it wasnt pretty.....
alpha434
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 2 2006, 08:51 PM)

Does that have anything to do with this thread? What did I miss? Did somebody delete the post you are responding to or are you spewing garbage again? spank.gif

What do you mean by "again"

mad.gif
Rand
My bad. I missed that. Sorry. I've got too much of a hair trigger about thread pollution and you make me flinch. poke.gif
alpha434
Yeah. I've seen it before. No going off the track. Or hitting curbs. Or bumping other cars. Keep 'em lubricated, and change them out after everytime one of the above happens or after every couple of races.
MattR

Have you picked up a set of turbo tie rods? They really dont weight that much. I would suggest going with turbo tie rods over aluminum with heim joints, especially for a street car.
alpha434
Oh. Street use.... Hmmm. Yeah. Get turbo tie rods. They're pretty heavy duty.
Mueller

please think a little before posting cr@p like that...there might be someone here reads that and knows less than you that's going to follow silly advise like that and injure or kill someone wacko.gif

any relationship to Brit?? biggrin.gif laugh.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 2 2006, 11:37 PM)

please think a little before posting cr@p like that...there might be someone here reads that and knows less than you that's going to follow silly advise like that and injure or kill someone wacko.gif

chairfall.gif

funny, the race cars I have the privilage to work on all have pretty heavy tie rods, but they're still able to win Le Mans and Grand Am...
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 3 2006, 03:37 AM)

Mike,

Thanks for keeping this in check. Some of the stuff I'm seeing spewed is just bad, wrong, or totally fictitious.

I'll take over for this shift. smile.gif

BTW, I remember when Britt first started posting here. It got so bad, that I came up with my "Britt-Blocker" extension for Firefox that allowed people to not view any of his posts. It was very popular. (Sorry Britt wavey.gif ) However, Britt eventually calmed down and is providing somewhat meaningful content in subjects that he has some experience. Hopefully this will pass as well.

mack914
Let me add to the positive comments about Getty and their CF lids for your 914. Fit great and mine look wonderful with my bl aktion035.gif ack 6 conversion.
jasons
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 2 2006, 08:58 PM)
My bad. I missed that. Sorry. I've got too much of a hair trigger about thread pollution and you make me flinch. poke.gif

chairfall.gif

Nice Return!
motorpants
geeze sorry i thought I would get a notice that someone had replied - here I just though no one was home - ok great let me chew on your advice and coment

josh
motorpants
great advice about the blems

will call getty

what do you think I will save in weight with the new lids? Then I was going to think about the Dashboard conversion to 911 with getty

any other thoughts about best value for money regarding weight savings?

yup going to go turbo tie rods but at least I can BS someone now that I know about heim and alum rods

thanks again

AND ALSO - this car came with a short shift kit does anyone else hate these in the 914 - I could just see myself pulling the wrong gear when the S hits the fan - I have an early 911 that I track a little - it doesn't like to have the shifts rushed but I hav'nt missed even one gear since I had the car

the rub: am I giving up much (time/ speed) by removing the short shift kit? do most 914 track cars have this kit?

IS THIS A CASE WHERE I SHOULD START A NEW TOPIC
MikeP
Who makes the little "ducktail" spoilers?
Mueller
QUOTE (motorpants @ Feb 3 2006, 11:05 AM)
great advice about the blems

will call getty

what do you think I will save in weight with the new lids? Then I was going to think about the Dashboard conversion to 911 with getty

any other thoughts about best value for money regarding weight savings?

yup going to go turbo tie rods but at least I can BS someone now that I know about heim and alum rods

thanks again

AND ALSO - this car came with a short shift kit does anyone else hate these in the 914 - I could just see myself pulling the wrong gear when the S hits the fan - I have an early 911 that I track a little - it doesn't like to have the shifts rushed but I hav'nt missed even one gear since I had the car

the rub: am I giving up much (time/ speed) by removing the short shift kit? do most 914 track cars have this kit?

IS THIS A CASE WHERE I SHOULD START A NEW TOPIC

stock lids wiegh 31 and 30 pounds (could be mixed up), Getty "standard" street c/f versions weigh 15 pounds each, you can get "race" fiberglass and c/f which are even lighter, but more fragile...the ultimate would be a "skin" which I doubt you could use the hinges with.....

Mike,

Bontempi sells a cool duck tail spoiler that I think is made by Sheridian, 3" and 6" versions I think...
MikeP
Cool thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.