Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok 'puter guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
and i had some stuff hidden in profiles and one in windows named config__ that i can't find now. and all my sh-t is all over the place had to go find my pictures and all that kind stuff. and my fav. on IE are gone . sh-t i don't remember all of the .com names of them.

help
bd1308
did you install over an existing copy of XP, or did you do a CLEAN install?

messix
all my programs are gone too.

yeah i think i did a clean install
bd1308
if you "formatted" your drive...you're pretty much screwed, as NTFS data isnt easily recoverable without a file allocation table, which gets erased when formatting.

I have seen expensive software (that I dont own) restore "formatted" data, but it aint cheap.

b
bd1308
okay do this.

email me your phone number, and i'll walk you through finding all of yoru other stuff, if you have it.

cool?

b
messix
e mail sent thanx
bd1308
QUOTE (messix @ Feb 2 2006, 08:10 PM)
e mail sent thanx

got it.

i'll call ya tomorrow? when's a good time?

b
messix
after 12noon

b4 2pm

aftr 4pm
bd1308
got ya

smile.gif ttyl

b
Rand
One quick thing you can check if you're curious right now...
Run Windows Explorer (Window-E on the keyboard) and crawl the tree to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Favorites

See how many different usernames you have under there, check the Favorites folder under each, maybe you'll get lucky and find some. If not, hopefully Britt can help you out over the phone. If so, there's hope that you'll be able to recover some other files you need. (And Britt can help you out over the phone with that too biggrin.gif ).
Carlitos Way
Assuming you didn't wipe out the disk... F3 is your friend. You can do a search for "favorites" and you should be able to find where the stuff went (by looking at the location path).
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 2 2006, 07:45 PM)
One quick thing you can check if you're curious right now...
Run Windows Explorer (Window-E on the keyboard) and crawl the tree to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Favorites

See how many different usernames you have under there, check the Favorites folder under each, maybe you'll get lucky and find some. If not, hopefully Britt can help you out over the phone. If so, there's hope that you'll be able to recover some other files you need. (And Britt can help you out over the phone with that too biggrin.gif ).

Actually, just after you open Explorer, pull down Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden files and folders radio button, then follow Rands instructions.... =-)

All that searching is ot going to work unless you can see the results. Hey, even a senior IT guy can make mistakes.... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.