914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
http//www.ftc.gov/os/1999/06/stanleyworkscmp.htm
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/wrenches.htm
http://www.hti.org/0410HTIDirectory.htm
This is a list of hand tool manufactures. Notice that Stanley makes all
Proto,Mac, BlackHawk, etc tools. Danaher manufactures all Matco tools
as well as Kobalt tools. Until the late 90s Kobalt tools were made by
JH Williams, who is an industrial line of SNAP-ON.

If you see old Kobalt stuff at a pawn shop, flea market etc pick it up.
It will be polished not satin finshed. Danaher also makes some of the
Craftsman line.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/perfor...pic/7585-1.html
I don't believe this is true anymore. I am pretty sure that all
Craftsman, Husky, and Kobalt boxes are made by Waterloo. I know the
Kobalt 11 drawer unit that Tom and I look at the other night is made by
Waterloo. Part numbers use same prefix. TRX

http://www.manufacturing.net/ind/index.asp...layout=document
Kennedy Files Bankruptcy
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/sear..._craftsman.html
Craftsman get sued over "made in USA"
http://www.ftc.gov/opp/jointvent/madeusa/f...ftp/usa/040.txt
Wright tools deserve Further investigation.
jasons
[QUOTE=Brett W,Feb 3 2006, 07:32 AM]

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/perfor...pic/7585-1.html
I don't believe this is true anymore. I am pretty sure that all
Craftsman, Husky, and Kobalt boxes are made by Waterloo. I know the
Waterloo. Part numbers use same prefix. TRX

I just bought a 4 new boxes from sears. I got the "griplatch ball bearing" units. They are one step below their "Professional" line. My local Ace HW sells Waterloo, my boxes look spot on identical to the Waterloo units. There is little doubt in my mind they are made by the same co.

Also, while shopping I considered the 40" 13 Drawer unit from Husky and Kobalt sold at Home Depot and Lowes respectively. They are basically identical. I am sure those they are made by the same manufacturer. I am not sure its Waterloo though. They look pretty different then my boxes if that means anything.
Brett W
I can't seemed to find a weight on the Husky or Kobalt box. I am going to take my trusty mic down to sears, HD, and Lowes and do some measuring. the reason I figure the Kobalt is made by Waterloo is the part numbers start with the same prefix "TRX". ONe thing that bothers me about the Sears boxes is the price compared to a box of similar metal and size from someone like HD, Kobalt, etc
jasons
Honestly the whole story about why I got the craftsman is, my wife surprised me with a new Sears bottom and top cab for xmas. I added the intermediate cab and I got a new bottom for another top box I have. Originally, I had always planned on getting the Husky 40" box. I think its the best deal for the $. The sears is a little overpriced.

The big differences I saw was in the drawer handles. The Husky/Kobalt have some cheap binding on the drawer handles, the sears has extruded aluminum on the handles. Also, the griplatch I have is semi-stupid.

A good friend of mine is an aircraft mechanic, he uses the stainless box Costco sells.
Brett W
Craftsman boxes are made by Waterloo.
Craftsman tool storage equipment. An American family story.
Today, Craftsman tool boxes and tool chest/cabinet combos are the best selling brand of tool storage equipment in America.

It's a success story that began over 70 years ago when an immigrant from Yugoslavia, settled in Waterloo, Iowa. He began designing and manufacturing the very first Craftsman tool boxes.

His family continued the tradition, running the manufacturing plants that have been home to generations of designers, test engineers, assembly line workers and many key workers who have built Craftsman tool storage equipment ever since. Walk through the plant, and you'll find several people who are third generation in their families that work on Craftsman tool storage equipment.

I found a really nice box at Harbor Frieght. Suprised the hell out of me. Nice fit anfd finish, reasonable price. Wieghs more than both HD and Kobalt boxes as well as the Craftsman stuff.
jasons
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 5 2006, 04:48 PM)
Craftsman boxes are made by Waterloo.
Craftsman tool storage equipment. An American family story.
Today, Craftsman tool boxes and tool chest/cabinet combos are the best selling brand of tool storage equipment in America.

It's a success story that began over 70 years ago when an immigrant from Yugoslavia, settled in Waterloo, Iowa. He began designing and manufacturing the very first Craftsman tool boxes.

His family continued the tradition, running the manufacturing plants that have been home to generations of designers, test engineers, assembly line workers and many key workers who have built Craftsman tool storage equipment ever since. Walk through the plant, and you'll find several people who are third generation in their families that work on Craftsman tool storage equipment.

I found a really nice box at Harbor Frieght. Suprised the hell out of me. Nice fit anfd finish, reasonable price. Wieghs more than both HD and Kobalt boxes as well as the Craftsman stuff.

You know I was going to recommend that box to you. I didn't know if you had a HF near you though. That is a really nice unit.
Brett W
I saw it this weekend and was really impressed. Couldn't believe the Chinese junk was this nice. 400$ is the amount of money I want to spend on a box right now. After I get things running a little more smoothly and my income is a little more consistent, I will look for a nice, bigger MAc or Matco, box. Used of course. Then I can retire this box to a trailer box or home box and leave the nice one at the shop.
LowGT
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 3 2006, 09:32 AM)
I am pretty sure that all
Craftsman, Husky, and Kobalt boxes are made by Waterloo.  I know the
Waterloo.  Part numbers use same prefix.  TRX

Yup, because I make the e-coat paint (Valspar Product) for Waterloo that goes on all those boxes.

The Midnight Blue line of tool boxes that came out a while ago has paint solely from our facility. Kinda cool to think I personally made the paint on all the Midnight Blue boxes by Waterloo. beerchug.gif We make the red and black as well, but they place orders for those colors from our other facilities as well.
Brett W
I am suprised they don't use powder coat. I though Snap On was the only company still painting their boxes. That is another scratch against the midline Craftsman Boxes. Glad I am not getting one.

You have any idea how much it cost to paint their box with your paint?
LowGT
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 6 2006, 10:09 AM)
I am suprised they don't use powder coat. I though Snap On was the only company still painting their boxes. That is another scratch against the midline Craftsman Boxes. Glad I am not getting one.

You have any idea how much it cost to paint their box with your paint?

E-coat and powder coat are almost the same thing, just the method of sticking it to the panel is a little different. In powder coat you charge the metal and spray a powder, the pigment sticks to the metal and you bake it to create a smooth hardened finished. In electrocoat, you create a bath of pigment, resins, solvent and water. You submerge your metal object into the bath and a metal strap. You attach a cathode to one and an anode to the other and run a current through the system. The metal and the pigment in the bath become charged causing the pigment to stick to the panel. Then you bake it for a smooth hardened finish.

The durability and appearance between powdercoat and ecoat are pretty much the same, application is just different.

As far as how much it costs per box to coat, I have no idea. If I had to guess, I would say it takes about a pint of ecoat. We sell it to them 4000 gallons at a time and it costs around $175-200 a gallon.
Brett W
Do you have to bake the E-coat? How long does it take to dry? Does it evaporate from the big dip tanks?
LowGT
QUOTE (Brett W @ Feb 6 2006, 05:50 PM)
Do you have to bake the E-coat? How long does it take to dry? Does it evaporate from the big dip tanks?

Yea, it has to be baked. Anywhere from 15-45 minutes at 250-450F depending on the formula. Evaporation is not much of a problem since the bath is primarily water.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.