Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Mayhem in 1 Day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
All was running perfect on the 1.7, up until yesterday. I look down, and notice all guauges are dead.

I release my brake pedal, and all guages perk up, but slightly off.

Night falls, I turn heater/defroster on, and suddenly my rpm guage is off by 1,000's, my gas guage is hovering above zero (I know I have 3/4 tanks).

This has happened once before, for just a couple minutes, and went away. That was months ago, not its happening again, and not goin away.

At the touch of my brake pedal, all guauges drop dead, my blinkers do not function anymore, and the backlight on my heater knob is no longer working.

Anyone that can help, please do.
markb
Start with the most common culprit and clean all your grounds.
Dr Evil
Yup, look at your tranny ground strap, too. Any reacent issues with water?
ClayPerrine
check the fuses..... the gauge fuse will cause all sorts of weird stuff if it is blown.

But frankly, this sounds like a bad ground. Check and clean all the ground points in the car, starting with the one above the fuse box.....
rhodyguy
the tach go to 0, and gas gauge goes to nothing when you put on the brakes? check fuses 5 or 8 can't remember this off hand, to see if one of them is blown, and those related ciruits. i experienced this but it only did it when the raidio was on. i changed the radio power to the cig lighter fuse and it cleared up the problem. i think i was just overtaxing one of the lower rated fuses.

k
redshift
You kicked it a fuse out!

M
Series9
I would check the master ground next to the fuse box.
HarveyH
Had a similar problem a couple of years ago, I think it was the #5 (possibly another one though) fuse was worn through where the retaining clip contacts the metal end cap. Looking at the fuse in place, it appeared that the fusible strip was good, but there was no contact to the clip.
Good luck
Harvey
rpmmaxxed
Will check all of the above mentioned in a short while. Thanks for such a response folks.

It really does help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.