Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper Switch replacement 72-76 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
The part number I come up with is:
914-628-020-13

But the couple of parts suppliers I have say the part is no longer available. Is there a coresponding VW part that is the same thing? Anyone ever tried to track down a new one lately? idea.gif
SLITS
I have a box of them....want me to look for a gudun?
blitZ
I recently replaced mine with a used one, couldn't find a new piece. I believe they are different for various years. I have to cut mine a tad to make it fit. Also, only my high speed position works at low speed.

Root_Werks
Hmm, I have a couple of good used ones. I am looking for one for someone on the club(Headrage). I was hoping to get him a new one was all.

Allan, if I can't get a new one. I'll pick out the best used one I have for you. Seems strange, I swear the VW's used the same thing on all the type I,II and III's. You would think there would be a 411 coresponding part number for the 914 number? confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Isn't the 924 one the same with the option of having power washers? I installed one and it looked exactly the same withthe addition of two contacts that cuold be hooked up if you want.
SLITS
1975 - - E 914 613 915 15

1972 - 1974 E 914 613 915 14
SLITS
If it's for Allan, he can come by and get one from me...he can have the whole assembly out of the car.

Used should be fine as Aaron, Matt & Howie use him all the time av-943.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Feb 3 2006, 08:28 AM)
Isn't the 924 one the same with the option of having power washers? I installed one and it looked exactly the same withthe addition of two contacts that cuold be hooked up if you want.

That is a good idea I forgot about. But same thing, NLA used only. Shoot. gotta be something out there new for a wiper switch. Still looking...... cool.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 3 2006, 08:35 AM)
If it's for Allan, he can come by and get one from me...he can have the whole assembly out of the car.

Used should be fine as Aaron, Matt & Howie use him all the time av-943.gif

happy11.gif

Thanks for the other part numbers. I tried them all, nadda. Bummer. I guess if you have one and are willing to pass it along to Allan, that would be most nice of you. I could happily send him one. But I have a feeling used ones aren't that hard to find. I think I have 2-3 myself.

I still think it's a bummer you can't get a new switch though. I don't like that. unsure.gif
SLITS
All of Slits' parts are NOS.........(after they've been thru the bead blaster)
Elliot_Cannon
I just recently replaced mine with a new switch from a 924. Call the folks at GPR. They have used ones but I chose the new one from the 924. It has an extra connection for electric windshield washer and has to be modified a bit to fit but it works great. Now I can hook up an electric windshield washer as well.
Cheers, Elliot
Dr Evil
The 924 one is really easy to fit. Skill level .02. I now have the power washer assembly (havent tried it out as it does not rain in my garage) dry.gif
Root_Werks
477 953 902 01C is the 924 part number. I am going to pick one up today and fit it to a 914 steering assembly I have. If it works, then I'll send it to Allan. I'll also post some pictures here it I have to mod it. Sounds like if I do, it's pretty easy.

OE part even. Cool.
SLITS
Yeh, but it comes from a wasser pumper, the lineage is now diluted ***gasp*** Oh the shame........I can't talk to Elliot or Allan anymore...it might dilute the juices just being around them.
Dave_Darling
Rich at HPH has tons of stuff; he might have an NOS one if you need it. Gary Emory up at Parts Obsolete in McMinnville OR might have it NOS as well. There might even be one in a "lost warehouse" somewhere in the southeast.... dry.gif

--DD
rhodyguy
that would make a good tech article dan. fwiw, gary, parts obsolete, isn't really in the 914 parts much anymore. if you call, he will prob say " i might have that, come down and take a look".

k
jim_hoyland
Can the 924 swithch be adapted to work with the intermittant function ?
Dr Evil
Ya buddy. It looks exactly the same as the 914, but with extra for the power washers. Andy had a thread about how to go about this. It may be in the classics section. I t was the article I followed when I did mine.
jim_hoyland
Yeah; I've read over that article too. So you breeak off the little tab so the switch can go down one position and rewire per the article.

Was curious whether the extra wire used for the washer might have been the one used for the intermittant .

Will just have to test it.
Tobra
I know several folks with 914 steering wheels in their VW's. Wheel fit fine and cancel of signal works too. The steering column looks very similar too, my guess would be that the switch from a late model super beetle would work for the wipers, the '79 I had even had intermittent, and you pull toward you to make the washer spray the windshield.
Root_Werks
Well, my parts supplier (Local) had a new 81' 924 wiper switch. It's not the same at all. Looks like the 944 switch. So FYI - Must be for early 924. Off to get one of those now. I think I'll post the pictures of what I do to it here. Good reference thread for it. biggrin.gif
cary
Well thats my next project. I bought a used 924 switch on E-Bay. Thinking that I would follow the Pelican tech article. But the article says I'll have 2 wires left over. But I don't. The 924 switch doesn't have a brown (grnd). But it does have a red/black wiper washer switch wire.
Can anyone give me a heads up on which way to go.

I'm thinking I'll shoot some pictures this evening. Laying the 2 switches side by side.
Root_Werks
Please do, I would love to see some.
cary
Here's the 914 switch.
cary
914 Wires
cary
924 Switch.
cary
924 Wires.
Tobra
how about this one
Midamerica
cary
The only thing I can't figure out is that 914 has a brown wire that the 924 doesn't. The 924 has what I think is the red washer switch wire.

What does the brown wire do ? The best I can tell is that its for the intermittent wipers ?
Elliot_Cannon
I only had one problem with the 924 switch I bought from GPR. The plastic channels that the wires are carried in are a bit different. The 924 switch had one extra channel and wouldn't fit through the hole in the steering column. I had to trim it off with an exacto knife. If I remember, the extra plastic channel carried the wire for the electric washer wire. I trimmed the channel off and then rerouted the electric washer wire. Once I trimmed off the extra plastic channel, it fit great. I wish now I had taken pictures of what I did, since there seems to be a shortage of original switches.
Cheers, Elliot
cary
Do you remember the 924 switch only having one red/black wire ?
Carrera916
Cary,

The brown wire, generally in all German cars that I've worked on such as Porsche, Audi, BMW & MB are known as the ground wire.

Funny, I stayed away from the 924s and now, i'm not sure how the heck they get their groundings based on the picture I looked up above of this message.

So, brown wire is for ground....
hope this helps

j
McMark
I'm pretty sure this one works. It's for 75-77 beetles.

user posted image
cary
Yeah, I know. But the 924 switch doesn't have one. Hummmmm.
Looking at the 914 schematic it shows the brown going to the interval relay. So the ground must be the switch wire for the intermittent wiper relay on the 914.

I'm going to reassemble the switch and use the DMM to see what happens between the red. Which I think is the hot wire for the washer pump. And the black/black which looks like the incoming power for the entire switch.

Because the 924 schematic shows the pump with a ground to body. It shouldn't have a ground wire returning to the switch.

What I'm trying to do is, use the 924 switch as a direct replacement to the tire pressure old system. Those hoses under the dash bug me. Plus when ever one of the hoses gets old. It pukes the entire washer tank on the ground from behind the dash.
Engman
I used the 924 switch and an ele pump for the wipers on my 73. As I recall the plastic tray holding the wires on on the 914 one is snaped in place. You unsnap it and xfer to the 924 one. I think there is a nice article on it on the bird board.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.