Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Hot Rod Air-Cooled VW Motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Deutsch
I am exploring the idea of building my own big displacement Type IV motor but there doesn't seem to be any books available on this subject. I have Bill Fisher's book, "How to Hot Rod Volkswagen Engines", but it is pretty poor, IMO. Anyone know of any other books on this subject?
Bleyseng
Forget the books as they are pretty outdated. Just ask questions on the BBS and Brad will answer them.................

Geoff
Qarl
Just ask one of our new members... Jake Raby. Also there is a lot of info on the Shop Talk Forums for Type 4.

Maybe we should collectively design a 914club "Ultimate motor". Have everyone collaborate on the specs for a type-4 motor. This would be a street car that could double duty on the track.

We could all contribute thoughts on the various elements and then someone could build it.... Hmmm... this could be fun.

We could look at every component of the car from cams, lifters, rod bolts, crank work, pistons and cylinders, exhaust, induction, valves, etc.

David Hunt could spec out the Fuel Injection system
Jake Raby could provide some good cam/head advice
Slap some nikkies in there or even birals for a little less $

First thing needed would be a motor budget... say $6000 (not including the core your start with)... then a displacement (I say 2056 or 2270), and a horsepower goal... something like 130 HP would be really nice.

It would have to be very realistic... parts, supplies, farmed out machine work, etc. The only thing not included would be your labor. This could be a "do it yourself" type project.

Anyone want to handle this project?

Karl
J P Stein
$6K?

I did my 6 conversion......the 2.4L.....for $6400.

6K is more that I have into my 2.7L and that kind of power is not available with any reliable t-4.
Charles Deutsch
What I would like to do would be to buy all of the parts for a well thought out 2270 cc motor for about $3200 (the price of a GEX turn-key motor) and just save the labor by assembling the motor myself. $6000 is too rich for my blood.
redshift
sad.gif

And to think by now I have around $8k in my 2.0/4.

M
reverie
Charles, here's a bit of reading material:

http://www.hotvws.com/Specialtybooks.html
It's the book in the middle.. there's a chapter on Type 4 performance engine building.. only $10.

http://www.fatperformance.com/
FAT Performance does Type 4 performance engine building and machining.. catalog is $6..
they seem to be rather an unknown for some reason.. huh.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Sep 2 2003, 03:00 AM)
What I would like to do would be to buy all of the parts for a well thought out 2270 cc motor for about $3200

You won't be able to do it for that little $$$.

Aircooled Technology sells kits sometimes but they cost closer to $4500. His engines are definitely well thought out.
Brad Roberts
People balk at the 7k price tag we give them for a PCA legal factory injected 115hp 2.0 engine.

The racers really balk at the 14k price tag for the 1.8 FP engines....LOL (but some of them pay)

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(reverie @ Sep 2 2003, 03:59 AM)

FAT Performance does Type 4 performance engine building and machining.. catalog is $6..

They don't build a lot of T4 engines anymore. They did have a pretty good reputation, but I have a customer who was quite disappointed in the engine they built him.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 2 2003, 01:48 AM)

I did my 6 conversion......the 2.4L.....for $6400.

Did that include all the conversion parts - tin, motor mount, oil tank, etc. - as well as the engine, exhaust, clutch? What else did you have to do to get it in and running?
Brad Roberts
I built a 2.0 6 cyl conversion car back in 1999 for 5k and used all factory 9146 parts.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 2 2003, 04:17 AM)

The racers really balk at the 14k price tag for the 1.8 FP engines....LOL (but some of them pay)

That sounds about right, I've been figuring on $15K ready to go, but it really costs more than that the first time. Add in oil tank and lines, instrumentation, modified gearbox, carb mods, etc. and $20K won't cover it.
Bleyseng
It is tough to do on the cheap and do it right. GEX doesn't do it right from what I have heard and seen in the past.
I did it pretty much myself sourcing the parts and them having everything machined. Still came out to darn near $4k. You have to get buys on the parts, someones failed project for the new pistons/cylinders maybe. The machining costs you no matter what X amount to do it right, the head work costs more to get more power.

The cheapest way to get a good 2.0L four is to buy a used good motor from a guy going six!

Geoff
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(reverie @ Sep 1 2003, 11:59 PM)
Charles, here's a bit of reading material:

http://www.hotvws.com/Specialtybooks.html
It's the book in the middle.. there's a chapter on Type 4 performance engine building.. only $10.

http://www.fatperformance.com/

Thanks for the information. I just ordered the "Performance Engines" book from Hot VWs.
Charles Deutsch
Anyone have experience with Scat Enterprises products (cranks etc.)? Are they good quality?
Brad Roberts
Opinions will differ... but they make cranks (in house). They have a been a leader in Type 1 stuff for 25-30 years. I like their products. I have 2 2.3 engines going together with Scat forged cranks and Carrillo rods.

B
J P Stein
[QUOTE=Racer Chris,Sep 2 2003, 12:24 AM]
[/QUOTE]
Did that include all the conversion parts - tin, motor mount, oil tank, etc. - as well as the engine, exhaust, clutch? What else did you have to do to get it in and running?[/QUOTE]
Yuppers, the whole shooting match.....and all new parts....cept the motor. It was $2400 ... a 2.4L T with Webers. That left 4K for the rest of the stuff. It was 4 years ago, however.

The oil tank (original 6er) and all the bits were 500 bucks back then. Velious mount was 500.....R Johnson's is now less than that. I didn't do cheep on anything. I did do a lot of shopping and it was my pre-computer days. I could do better on parts now, me thinks.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Sep 1 2003, 11:00 PM)
What I would like to do would be to buy all of the parts for a well thought out 2270 cc motor for about $3200 (the price of a GEX turn-key motor) and just save the labor by assembling the motor myself. $6000 is too rich for my blood.

DO NOT buy from GEX!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!! Their engines are a crap shoot at best. Poor quality, wrong parts used, used parts labeled as new, out-of-spec tolerances, etc. I currently have a good friend's VW Fastback sitting in my side yard because his 'stock rebuild' GEX engine (less than 5,000 miles on it) has a #3/#4 head heat problem that is throwing his valve gapping waaaay out of spec every time the engine gets to operating temp. Two cracks leading from the spark plug hole to the exhaust seat. Wrong washers used under the head stud nuts. Case savers backing out of the case. Possible valves stretching. Type I head instead of a Type III head (T3 heads have a boss for a temp sender for the fuel injection). We pulled the head in my driveway to see what was wrong and this is just on one side. Me and my girlfriend ended up driving him back home to Santa Rosa (we're both off work, wanted to see San Fran., so what the heck smile.gif ) and when he moves up to Oregon he'll pick it up (if I let him...the pan is in BEAUTIFUL condition beer.gif )

If anyone buys from GEX then I will personally stand in front of them, point my finger at them, and giggle while I tell you, "I told you so" while their engine sits useless in their engine bay. Yeah, they are real bastards -- good luck getting your money back from them. Nobody I know has succeeded because it's virtually impossible to prove them wrong.

I would trust a blind, one-armed chimpanzee to build me a motor over GEX.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Sep 2 2003, 02:00 AM)

a Raby kit for a 2270 will run about 4500 I am told... plus weber 44s and a good exhaust system....

6k is close to reality with everything said and done...
john9141
hi I have heard that jake from aircolled talks about all the help he will give to you in putting his kits together. But I have read some threads of him complaining about the amount of help he is willing to give. I to am in the process of doing research on rebuilding a HP typeIV for my car and am talking to different shops now about getting a kit or turn key and Jake seems to promise alot of help does he? (in the kit form or complete engine rebuild)

Thanks
John
Britain Smith
We are in a great situation now with Jake building kick-ass motors and Brad installing them on the West coast...best of both worlds!

I ponder the 6 conversion for my 912 looking at how much I have in my turbo type-4 now...but I will be happy with the balance in the car in the long run.

-Britain
Katmanken
Jake has discontinued his kits recently.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=58063

He will sell advice and parts next year.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.