Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 New Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
driving.gif Just bought a huge 914-6 project. The car was one of the factory prototype cars, it is #0031. The car is entirely apart, beed blasted and ready for primer. I have a few things that need to be welded, but I think that will be fairly easy. The car will come with a original 914-6 motor which is brand new. The motor is factory fresh, it was bought a number of years ago from some german parts supply place that went out of business. The cylinders still have the original factory dye in the pistons. My question is, what should I do to it before installation to make sure that it's been prepped perfectly. What should I look to go wrong, it looks really nice, but after 36 years I'm sure that there must have been some negative effect?
Twystd1
Hi Proto31,

Welcome to best non-club in the world.!!!!!!!!!!

There are a bunch of us Teener folk in Costa Mesa.

Glad to have ya on board. Stick around a while and let the smart guys give ya what ya need.

It sounds like you have an extremely interesting 914.

When you get a chance, tell us the story of how this car came into existence and how you ended up with it.

PM me if you want to have a Cup "O" Coffee..

Regards,

Twystd1
Part Pricer

First off, we need pictures. biggrin.gif

It does sound like you have yourself a very interesting project. If it were me, I would put everything together and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER start that engine. The value of your car will plummet as soon as you do.

As much as I hate to say this, you may have one of the few 914s that should not be driven.

redshift
Kind of like the man said, I would NEVER install that motor.. I bought a 2.0 euro crate motor once, I put 5k on the motor, and it became like any other motor.

M
JoeSharp
Dan: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
You said the guy had over 150 pictures. WTFAT?
I'm glad to hear that you desided to go for it. Keep us posted on its travel and arival. I for one would like to see the car when it is in your possission.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
proto31
Sorry for the lack of photos, the PO has them saved on his computer, wasn't able to burn a copy. He will send me photos next week. As far as the engine goes, I understand the value that the engine will have unstarted BUT this project is meant to produce a driving car so I can have fun like all you guys. What do you think the value of the engine is? I might consider trading it for a totally rebult working engine and some change...

Dan
Allan
Don't let the motor out of your possession. Keep it in a nice environmentally controlled place and get yourself another to put in the car...
Eric_Shea
I would tear the motor down.

Sounds like an excellent car. Can't wait for the pictures and welcome to the club.

E.
goose2
Welcome! Interesting project...I thought long and hard about buying that car and decided there was no room in my life for another project.......glad it found a good home. Keep us posted on your progress smilie_pokal.gif
brp914
That motor isn't worth anything as a driver. I would use it as a display of some sort. If you want to start out with a small 6, the 2.2E (actual 914/6 case, fwiw) will be coming out of mine soon. Its healthy, has all the usual upgrades. Around 35k miles. Leaks a little though.

Cant wait to see pics and background story! good luck.
alpha434
QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Feb 4 2006, 04:40 AM)
First off, we need pictures. biggrin.gif

It does sound like you have yourself a very interesting project. If it were me, I would put everything together and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER start that engine. The value of your car will plummet as soon as you do.

As much as I hate to say this, you may have one of the few 914s that should not be driven.

That means that you should drvie it extrra, in my book. If iI had a 917, wouldn't I feel obligated to have it registered for the street? Yes. Yes I would.

Good luck. The engine might be a hassle tough. I would look into that 2.2 tpye E that whoever mentioned.
alpha434
Or a 3.8 twin plug Biturbo. HIYA!! ph34r.gif
Aaron Cox
soo cool.

come over to joe sharps place on the 18th in HB
Eric_Shea
That motor isn't worth anything as a driver.

smoke.gif
Speedster07
Welcome Proto31,
by any chance did your 914-6 # 31 come from Indianapolis Indiana?
proto31
Yes, it will be coming from Indiana.
seanery
hmmm, what's the story?

welcome.png
proto31
Do you know anything about the car???
sixnotfour
Not a PCA member for 4 years but I am guessing Jim Lapossa

The guy had a ton of 914-6 parts nos and used and a couple of cars, sold thru Doc &Sy's 10 years ago
WAG
proto31
Not sure who Jim Lamposa is?
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Trekkor
Welcome aboard and drive it!

You should always drive it.

Do you have a goal date to be finished?

KT
proto31
Plan on having it done in 6-7 months. Shouldn't need to spend too much time collecting parts since it's supposed to come with everything. I will need a set of heat exchangers. Does anybody make a reasonably priced aftermarket set?
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif Just in time for the WCC 06!
seanery
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 5 2006, 03:16 AM)
reasonably priced aftermarket set?

nope laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 5 2006, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 5 2006, 03:16 AM)
reasonably priced aftermarket set?

nope laugh.gif

reasonable is relative....

B+B and GHL both make sets.,..

i think the number is 3k a pair tho sad.gif
Speedster07
Proto31, I looked at that #31 4 years ago. He was at that time welding in new hell whole from passengers feet all the way back on both sides. The motor with the blue stuff was the give away and of course #31. He also was chopping up 6ers and selling the 6 ID’s and any metal 6 Id parts with Titles, that’s what turned me off of him. cool_shades.gif I didn't know if #31 was real? He said he had enough parts to build 3 cars at that time,. Was the car in the back warehouse where he worked. I think he was a project manager for a building company. the car was completely disassembled and in rough condition and i didn't care for his welder.gif ability’s. He seamed like a very nice guy, but he sawzall-smiley.gif up teeners to put on ebay. thats where I first saw this 6er. He had some nice teeners but said they were worth more for there parts than he could get for them as cars. That Bastard ar15.gif Also what he wanted for a shell and a bunch of parts, was what I though it would be worth finished. Sorry but you asked.
I wish you all the luck with your #31 project. aktion035.gif
Do all the photos and set up your Blog so we can admire your progress. The people here can and will help you with anything you need. Just ask.
beerchug.gif 's to ya
proto31
Thanks for the info. Are you sure you were looking at the same car though. He told me that the rear hell hole was perfect. The pictures of it stripped down to the metal do not show any signs of welding in that area. He did wowever weld in a new outer clamshell on the drivers side longitudinal. How did the motor look to you?

Thanks,
Dan
Speedster07
Same car, I remember the new outer clamshell on the drivers side longitudinal. I though for sure he had the hell hole opened up, so many teeners ago, but I can't remember how the motor looked, I do remember the blue dye in the motor, it looked like a motor, I was not knowledgable on 6 motors at that time. and he had 2 more that came with the car. What all did you get with the car? When you get it you'll know more about what was done and not.
Got any pics? What was his first name?

Part Pricer

Does anyone know the history of this car? I would think that a prototype ending up in the hands of an individual, the story is significant.

Also, what is the full VIN on this car? That will help for those of us playing along at home. smile.gif
proto31
The correct vin # is 9140430031. I should be getting that fresh motor, all interior and all the 6 specific parts including a new factory oil tank and all the sheet metal.

This is a picture of the car stripped down a few years ago, the front fenders have been replaced since then.
Speedster07
Yep thats the place and thats her wavey.gif

Did you come to Indy to see the car?

Did he still have the 914 that a tree fell on? it was a 6 he had cut all the 914-6 ID plates off to sell on ebay or somewhere.
proto31
nope, all based on pics shown to me. A little risky but there wasn't much to hide after the car has stripped of all it's paint.
Speedster07
I'll PM you

Hey
It's OK he got a great deal.
This should be a good build to follow clap56.gif
sixerdon
Interesting serial number. According to my current knowledge I don't think this is a prototype. Production sixers started at 9140430011. That would make yours the 20th production six. I've always understood that the first 50 or so were distributed around Europe. Someone with some serious knowledge on early sixes should look at this very closely. Check every possible number stamped in the chassis and cross check with DaveP's list. Learn as much as you can on six history and get as much history from the guy you bought it from. Good luck. I'll be looking at the pictures from time to time.
Don
proto31
Don, thanks for the advice. Do you know where I should start, as far as looking into the history of the early 6's. I've spent a bunch of time on the web, but I haven't been able to find much. wacko.gif

Thanks,
Dan
Speedster07
Proto31,
get everything you can from Trent he probly researched it and has a lot of white paper and sites to check out. He knows a lot about the early cars.

Craig
proto31
Will do! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (sixerdon @ Feb 6 2006, 07:20 PM)
Interesting serial number. According to my current knowledge I don't think this is a prototype.

agree.gif that VIN is *not* a prototype ...

now, if you had the car with the internal project number #31, that would be a real find!

Internal Code: 914/31
VIN: 914 043 0019
Color: Irish Green
Usage: 914 R Prototype, Test Car
Project Start Date: 10/3/1969
Sold Date: 5/21/1971
Customer: Graf Goertz

smile.gif Andy
Part Pricer

Wow! This is interesting info.

Our resident experts tell us that according to the VIN this car is not a prototype, just an early production 6. It prompts me to ask a question that I really have no business asking, "Was the car sold as a Prototpye?" Just curious.

DEC
Porsche never sold a prototype (except 916, they were official prototypes).
914R is the correct name for the cars now
called 914GT. GT is the later synonym for 914R.

GT was the FIA class in there the 914-6 was admitted, so all 914R are "GT's"

Wilco aktion035.gif
SirAndy
yes, except "914 043 0031" is *not* on the list of factory GTs either ...

none of the real prototypes had a 914-6 VIN to begin with.
having said that, there was a GT prototype as well as a 916 prototype that both had 914-6 VINs.
then there's a list of all factory GTs, which all had internal project numbers, besides a "normal" 914-6 VIN ...

now, unfortunately, the list on internal projects is not complete. there are a few cars missing from that list ...
cool.gif Andy

PS: attached is a picture of "914 043 0032", one VIN after yours ...
fatlando
hey andy,

you're super smart, here's my vin 4752906310, can you tell me anything?

also how many of our cars are actually on the road? i read on excellence that there were only about 4,000 75's made...

that number 11 must have some stories to tell.

regards

fat lando
SirAndy
QUOTE (fatlando @ Feb 7 2006, 01:18 PM)
you're super smart, here's my vin 4752906310, can you tell me anything?

yes, i can tell you that you got a really nice car there ...

beerchug.gif Andy
nocones
Ummm...

Isn't this an ad for the same car for sale? confused24.gif

1970 914-6 BODY SHELL Price: $6,050.00

Vin 91404300031. This is one of the earliest 914s we have seen, and as the first 50 produced were prototypes, this car has some weird differences, including a plug on the harness to connect to test equipment, a rear stamped serial number and a different rear panel. This car was never hit but had some rust. Our shop totally cured the rust problem and coated the car with preservative paint. It is ready for you to restore to the ultimate, and possibly own the lowest serial numbered six recently reported! Comes complete with title.

http://www.autoatlanta.net/record_detail.l...346014F&-Search

sorry about the mondo link,
PN at AA is B23888

proto31
That ad in Autoatlanta seems to be the same car, he showed me pics of the strange wireharness that was described. The seller is supposed to send me some more info on the history of the car, hopefully some actual documentation. I'll let you guys know when I get it.

Question: anybody have their steering wheel re-wrapped in leather. Not those kits you can bu but an actual professional job? What would it cost and how accurate do they turn out?

Thanks popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 7 2006, 09:31 PM)
Question: anybody have their steering wheel re-wrapped in leather. Not those kits you can bu but an actual professional job? What would it cost and how accurate do they turn out?

i looked into this a while ago. for my original momo prototipo ...

momo will actually do this for you. you send it in, they fix it ...
not cheap $$$

cool_shades.gif Andy
Speedster07
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 7 2006, 11:31 PM)
That ad in Autoatlanta seems to be the same car, he showed me pics of the strange wireharness that was described. The seller is supposed to send me some more info on the history of the car, hopefully some actual documentation. I'll let you guys know when I get it.

Thanks popcorn[1].gif

Trent bought it from AA, he no longer does business with them. I wonder why chair.gif
seanery
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 8 2006, 12:31 AM)

Thanks popcorn[1].gif

Kevin Jueng, known as buzzard1 here, did one for our Fall Folliage event last year. Britt (bd1308) won it and it's awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.