Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ty's 914 project...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ty914
Thanks to the forum for getting me motivated. I look forward to getting this going and I am sure I will need some help, advice, and other stuff along the way. I will try and put in as many pics as possible.
ty914
again...
ty914
Sorry I did not take any before pictures but I will try and find one and scan it in...
jim912928
oh man...I remember when mine looked like that! lol. Looks like a good project. For me, major fun while I was rebuilding the thing. Almost as much fun as driving it!

Keep the progress pics coming!
ty914
A few years back at a Florida PCA event.
ty914
Thanks...my Dad purchased this car back in 1988 and we me Wilco up at Laguna Seca that year and picked up one of his soft top conversions, before the Boxter was ever around. This was my dad's project car that I helped his with when I was in high school. My dad was a fireman in Culver City and put this together at his house in Laguna Niguel. When he was tired of it he gave it to me when I finished college. I have used this as a daily driver in Seattle and have driven it X-country to Key West. I had it in New Mexico for some time and now we are together in the Mid South…Memphis. I thought it was time for a new paint job and one thing led to another and this is where I am at.

I was just getting my garage in order for this project and I think I have all the tools for the job. The CFO of the house gave me the green light and said this need to be back together…and running if I wanted to another 911.
Andyrew
Raked windshield? Cool!

What have you done to increase the strength of the chassis?
Kargeek
Raked windshield and louvers punched in the rocker panels! I like it! DH
ty914
Started working on the underbody....there is no easy way to do this is there???
ty914
Rear...
ty914
Inch by inch...
brant
Nice Ty!!!!

looking good

brant
ty914
Used some degreaser and a pressure washer to give me a hand...
ty914
Undercoating is no fun...BTW: If I am going to resurface the undercoating with Wurth do I need to take it down to metal or can it just be degreased sanded and sprayed???
ty914
Also started on the tar mat and do not like the looks of rust...whats your take??? Surface rust...or do I just have to start ginding down until its gone and if there is not enough metal then I know I will be doing more welding??? Or after grinding and prep would POR-15 take care of this?
ty914
Other rust...how about around the trunk seal area??? The corners are no good. I have looked at http://www.restoration-design.com/ and have not seen anything I could use for this area...will I be doing some fabrication along with the welding??? Any ideas would be great...
ty914
More tar pad removal...
ty914
Just some surface rust and it is starting to clean up...
ty914
Starting to feel like progress...
ty914
Working by yourself, you can't work in one place to long before you go crazy...started sanding the underside.
Bertus
QUOTE (ty914 @ Feb 22 2006, 02:06 PM)
Starting to feel like progress...

What did you use to take the floorpans down to bare metal?

btw good work!

Thanks Bert
ty914
Once the tar pad was up I used a wire wheel on a die grinder. After that was all cleaned up I sprayed it down with paint thinner/mineral spirits. Did that a few times and what was left was the grey primer and some bare spots where the rust was. There is some pitting and I plan on coating the area with POR-15 when ready.
ty914
Always looking for a shortcut...paint stripper and pressure washer. Messy but worked nice!
ty914
Junk in the trunk...
ty914
Hellhole not bad...
ty914
more...
ty914
last one...
tdsmoonchild
Wish my tub was as clean as yours. This is what I found under my tar......

user posted image

Looking good! Keep the pics coming.
army dude
Lookin good! keep it up! Is your windshield really raked?? How much and how did you do it?

Ian in Iraq

54 days till stateside
59 days till I drive
ty914
Yea...it is raked back about 2-3 inches. The convertaible top for it is really short and squaty like an old speedster.

Here are some photos to give a better idea of what it looked like before I did this to it...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...6&hl=snoqualmie
ty914
A little work on the car...
ty914
New Jack Point from Restoration-Design...Perfect Fit...after some rust clean up.
ty914
more...
ty914
Under side done and sprayed with Dupont Veriprive...
ty914
more...
ty914
more...
ty914
more...
ty914
more...
ty914
welding up for the convertiable top...
ty914
New undercoating...
ty914
last one until tomorrow...
ty914
Undercoating is DONE!!! Started sanding the body down to prep for paint...
ty914
next...
ty914
next...
ty914
started work on the suspention...to get this thing back on the ground...
ty914
Thanks to Kelly for getting me a A-Arm...I didn't see how bad mine was until yours arrived...THANKS!
ty914
Also NEW Bilstien all around and a few other new parts...starting to feel progress. My Dad is flying in from Spokane, WA...aka Spokompton, Spokanistan, Spoklahoma...you get the picture. We are going to work on this for the next week sun up till sun down and see if we can get it ready for the paint shop!
Rusty
Nice work... you've really accomplished a lot. You should be very proud.

What kind of paint and primer system are you using?

-Rusty smoke.gif
ty914
Thanks...

For the underside I started with Dupont Veriprime (recommended from a fellow member). Then reapplied the undercoating with U-POL Gravitex Plus. www.AutoBodyDepot.com has everything I have needed. U-POL looks and feels the same as Wurth SKS but is less than 1/2 the price. I ordered 2 lt. and the application gun as a package for $25.

For the paint I am using PPG. I painted my last 911 with Deltron (DAU Acrylic Urethane) so I plan on doing the same for the 914. The base I am using PPG K38 primer. All of the P Sheets for PPG I printed off of www.tricitypaint.com/docs.html

That gives all the compatible products and spect for the application. The only thing I have not decided on is if I want to use DELGLO DAU 82. It is a clear that can be mixed 1:1 or applied as final coats to the paint. I am going to swing by the supply shop and ask. I will see how that goes they don't like dealing with D.Y.S. people and they are the only ones that sell PPG.

My Dad flies in today so I bet we will get a lot done. I might have found a body shop that will let me "rent" the spray both on the weekend after hours. I need to pick what COLOR I am going to paint this thing...

Is there a BAD color out there on the 914??? Every color I look at looks good...

T
ty914
Make some progress through the heat!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.