Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crush bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alremley
Steering wheel on my 75 moves up and down. I believe the crush bearing inside the column needs replacement.

Anybody done this?

Any special tips on this.
Allan
I never tried to replace the bearing but I do know that Pelican and GPR sell poly bushings that is suppose to fix the wobble.
r_towle
Did you check the bolts under the dash that hold the column in place...

If they are all tight...you need to bet that bearing..

PP sells them...

Take off the steering wheels, switches, and housing..you can get to it from up top.

Good luck
Rich
Allan
If you do the bearing swap can you post pics.

Mines gonna need it fairly soon and I want to see what I'll be getting myself into. smile.gif
solex
It is a typical bearing with plastic sleve. The sleve usually goes and then you have the up and down play in the steering wheel. Ask me how I know this... I just replaced mine and it is the exact same bushing as a super beetle.

To replace it you need to remove the steering wheel and the housing (the ignition tumbler is in the housing) from the column and lower dash.

A snap ring holds the bearing in the housing. From my research Paragon has the best price a little over $9.00

Have fun,
Dan
messix
same here. i'm gonna have to raplace both upper and lower bearings. crush sleeve didn't do it for me and found the upper bearing had alot of play and lower did too.
any body ever have the steering shaft u-joints wear out with some slop
SirAndy
agree.gif with all of the above. check the bolts first (4 of them) then check the sleeve. the bearing itself rarely fails.

btw., you can get the sleeve in metal as well, i like them better than the plastic ones ...
cool.gif Andy
Lou W
Automotion sells the part here;

Steering Column Bushing
joea9146
QUOTE (Lou W @ Feb 6 2006, 12:16 AM)

Steering Column Bushing

So with this sleeve you aviod having to take everything apart ?
Am I understanding this correctly ?

Anyone use this sleeve ?
SirAndy
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Feb 6 2006, 06:50 PM)
Anyone use this sleeve ?

not this *exact* sleeve, mine is metal, coneshaped with ripples.

they work like a "wedge", sitting on the shaft, wedged between the shaft and the bearing thus taking out any "slack" between the bearing and the shaft.

works very well ...
driving.gif Andy
joea9146
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 7 2006, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Feb 6 2006, 06:50 PM)
Anyone use this sleeve ?

not this *exact* sleeve, mine is metal, coneshaped with ripples.

they work like a "wedge", sitting on the shaft, wedged between the shaft and the bearing thus taking out any "slack" between the bearing and the shaft.

works very well ...
driving.gif Andy

Andy you remember where you got your sleve ?
SirAndy
QUOTE (joea9146 @ Feb 7 2006, 04:42 AM)
Andy you remember where you got your sleve ?

yes, out of one of the cars we cut up when brad still had his shop in palo alto ... biggrin.gif

sorry, i have no idea where it was bought ...
cool.gif Andy
Dave-O
QUOTE (Lou W @ Feb 5 2006, 10:16 PM)

Steering Column Bushing

I have never taken my column apart. Is the sleeve the same between the early and late cars? I see that Andy put one in his early car but I don't know what steering column he has in it?

Will this sleeve work on a 1970 column?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave-O @ Feb 19 2006, 10:17 AM)
Will this sleeve work on a 1970 column?

yes, it'll work. the shaft dia. and the bearing are the same early/late ...

the sleeve is wedged between the shaft and the bearing, giving it a schnugg fit ...
wink.gif Andy
Dave-O
schweet! Cheers beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.