Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New addition - red '74 2.0l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
watsonrx13
Well, I purchased another teener yesterday, red '74 2.0l with center console, front and rear sway bars. A new member, Chris Spence, had the car for sale locally. I looked at the car last weekend and decided I 'needed' another project car to work on. We completed the deal yesterday. I talked with Paul (URY914) and he agreed to help me transport the car from Chris' house to my new shop, thanks again Paul....

The car is drivable, but it's making a 'strange and expensive' knocking noise, so I felt it would be prudent to tow the car, then have an engine 'expert' diagnose the problem.....

Here are the pics....

This is the pre-purchase side shot Chris sent me....

watsonrx13
Pre-purchase interior
watsonrx13
front trunk...
watsonrx13
longs...
watsonrx13
close up of jack post
watsonrx13
preparing to load car onto Paul's trailer...
watsonrx13
This is a shot of Paul and his daughter, Emily, tying the car down on the trailer...

Paul, thanks again for all of your assistance.... smilie_pokal.gif
Hammy
cool smilie_pokal.gif What do you have planned for it?
watsonrx13
I'm going to strip the tar from the interior, fix the rust that is found, rebuild the brakes, repaint the car the original color, fix the engine and put it back together. It still have the original FI and I want to keep it. I'm going to try to accomplish the restoration within a year. It will be the twin of my current car, but with FI....

I guess this will be the beginning of the restoration thread.... stayed tuned...

-- Rob
stock93
Cool! They are just addicting aren't they? I think I enjoy working on them almost as much as driving them. If you want me to listen to that weird knocking noise for you just let me know. I also know from experience what the loose cam gear problem sounds like.

John
watsonrx13
QUOTE (stock93 @ Feb 5 2006, 11:01 AM)
Cool! They are just addicting aren't they? I think I enjoy working on them almost as much as driving them. If you want me to listen to that weird knocking noise for you just let me know. I also know from experience what the loose cam gear problem sounds like.

John

Yea John, they are addicting.... I agree with you, I enjoy working on them as much as I enjoy driving them....

Whenever you're available on a Sunday, you expertise in diagonizing the knocking will be greately appreciated....

-- Rob
stock93
I might be able to come look at it after this next tampa breakfast if I make it over there. I start a new part time job on wednesday so I dont know what my schedual will be yet.

John
watsonrx13
Well, I"ve begun the restoration process. I've removed the hood, front bumper and front wheels.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the passenger front fender. It appears to be previously repaired, but poorly. I'll cut this section out and replace with a better one.
watsonrx13
sfdfsvv
watsonrx13
I've removed the headlights and the associated buckets.
watsonrx13
Headling buckets, cleaned and painted.
smg914
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Feb 20 2006, 03:26 PM)
Well, I"ve begun the restoration process. I've removed the hood, front bumper and front wheels.

I like what looks like the original spare wheel and tire. Is that the original spare Continental 165R15 tire?
watsonrx13
Hey Steve, I checked the tire, it's a 165r15, but not a Continental....

Anyway, I removed the passenger fender. There was up to 1/2" bondo where they tried to hide the damage. I removed all of the bondo and cut the damaged area off. Here's a shot of the fender removed....

watsonrx13
Here's another shot...

watsonrx13
And the damaged piece...

Joe Ricard
Uh Rob, That's not how you put flares on...... rolleyes.gif

You are truly a master at that body work stuff. pray.gif
watsonrx13
Thanks Joe, I figured if you can dis-figure your car, I can do the same to mine..... biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Mar 5 2006, 05:00 PM)
Thanks Joe, I figured if you can dis-figure your car, I can do the same to mine..... biggrin.gif

Damn that's gonna leave a mark. Wanna race? biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
I removed the fuel tank today. Here's the fuel that was drained from the tank.... not the best

watsonrx13
Here's what it looks like underneath the tank...
watsonrx13
Here's another shot...
watsonrx13
Look what I found underneath the tank...
watsonrx13
Here's a close up. Is this the original screwdriver? BTW, it came apart in 3 sections...
watsonrx13
Well, I began installing the new fender. I worked several hours trimming and fitting before I was ready to position the part. Here's a shot of it in place before welding....
watsonrx13
Here's the inside attachment...
watsonrx13
Began the welding....
watsonrx13
I still have more welding, then a LOT of grinding, but I feel pretty good that it's position correctly...

jd74914
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Mar 21 2006, 06:48 PM)
Here's a close up. Is this the original screwdriver? BTW, it came apart in 3 sections...

I found a screwdriver and wrench under my tank too, weird huh.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 27 2006, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Mar 21 2006, 06:48 PM)

I found a screwdriver and wrench under my tank too, weird huh.gif

Yea, I guess it was a lot easier to just 'forget' the screwdriver, then try to remove the tank....

BTW, after cleaning the screwdriver, it turns out to be a Snap-On. I wonder if they would replace it? biggrin.gif

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Damn Rob You sure do weld Purdy.

My turn to whack ya. HOWZ that other car running? no, not the Miata. the other red 914.
URY914
Rob,
Better check your tank. It looks like part of it was left behind on that shelf that it sits on. Mine was the same was. Rusted out right were that felt pad is. I got a pretty good tank you can have if you need it.

P
Joe Ricard
Paul if you had any metal on your car you could trade Rob some spiffy welding for some fancy carb tuning. poke.gif poke.gif chairfall.gif lol2.gif w00t.gif
watsonrx13
Ground down the welds, added several thin layers of bondo and a single layer of spot putty. This should hold it until I get to prime, then paint it. I'll prime it with etch primer soon. BTW, the bondo took most of the day. Bondo, sand, repeat as needed....
URY914
Nice job, Rob. wink.gif
watsonrx13
Well, after a very HOT summer, dropping the front suspension and weeks of prep work, I finally added a single primer coat....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

VegasRacer
Lookin' Good Rob. smilie_flagge24.gif
watsonrx13
Thanks John. It was great seeing you again, meeting Felix and Ed....

Man, I'm so tired from the trip, but it was definately worth it....

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Added paint to the front section....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

watsonrx13
xxx

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

watsonrx13
I've reinstalled the front suspension...

Click to view attachment

and the front brakes, less the calipers... I'll be sending the calipers to Eric for a rebuild.

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Worked on the car again this weekend. It was a very productive one, too. I began working on the interior. I began by removing the tar on the floor and the glue from the rear firewall. After removing the seam sealer in the corner of the floor, I found a section behind the passenger seat had rusted out.

Here's the before shot...

Click to view attachment

Here's the batch that I created...

Click to view attachment

After cutting, fitting, welding, bondoing, spraying primer, here's the final piece... after about 6 hours...

Click to view attachment

watsonrx13
Installed the fuel tank...

Click to view attachment

Installed and adjusted the headlights...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Installed the front trunk....

BTW, I still have to do the final adjustment, but I'll work on that when I do the outside body work...

Click to view attachment

And, installed the horns...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
mills914/s
Rob your the MAN....You make it look so easy.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.