Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hybrid_Teener
anyone got one for a 914? What's the story? Can I drive mine in -40? =D
bd1308
did people in the 70s have 914s in canada?

without a doubt, if your FI is working, then yes.

b
Hybrid_Teener
just get a generic block heater, or...?? I'm worried about what it might do re: cooling etc
michel richard
I'm sure you don't need one. For sure you don't need it to drive in the cold, only possible use is to start.
VW bugs were known here as good winter starters. My dad had one forever, never had a block heater, it always started. Mind you, -40 did'nt happen very often in Montreal, but -20 or -30 normally happens at least once a year.
Just make sure your battery is always fully charged up, and the car will start, no doubt. Take it easy for the first few minutes.
GWN7
I have one around here somewhere..... it was a coil that attached to the bottom of the block. Sort of like a electric BBQ starter. It heated up and warmed the oil/case. Could also start any oil drips/crud on the case on fire. The same unit was on lots of bugs back in the days they were aircooled.
Hybrid_Teener
That's what I'm worried about. i've heard of the dipstick etc type that catch on fire.. Soo, you don't use yours, GWN7?
Mark Henry
I have a couple as well...if I could find them...

mike_the_man
I've got one on my car. Never bothered to try it. My car goes nowhere once the snow flies. I bet it would be fun to drive in a bit of snow though.

Eddie914
How about the old shade tree trick ... heatlamp aimed at the block?

Eddie
GWN7
QUOTE (Hybrid_Teener @ Feb 6 2006, 07:33 AM)
That's what I'm worried about.  i've heard of the dipstick etc type that catch on fire..  Soo, you don't use yours, GWN7?

No, not using it, but I have no idea where it is either. It was in the trunk of one of the cars.

Try calling around some of the older parts stores... Temro (sp?) used to be the maker of the coil type that bolted to the bottom of the block. They fit 58-72 bugs.

There is also a new style that glues to the block. Some of the newer water cooled VW's you can't put a standard block heater in. The local parts place I called here said they run $95 for the glue on one (+ GST & PST).

If I find the coil one in the next few days I'll send it to you.

The other option is to mount a car warmer in the engine bay and put it on a timer (cover the grill to keep the heat in).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.