Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Lightweight Project Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Last night I painted the front hood, the tonnaeu cover and both one-piece sides.

Results: from best to worst...

Tonnaeu cover: Paint is thin but no orange peel, I'll keep it. smile.gif
Front hood: Orange peel, but only a few thin spots. I'll keep it as is.biggrin.gif
Left side: a few sags and orange peel, but no thin spots. Repaint it. sad.gif
Right side: OMG! Did I do this with my eyes shut? Sigs all over, thin spots where you can see the primer and orange peel llike 30 grit samd paper. Complete sand and repaint required.headbang.gif

I reshot the left side this morning. Much better job. But I'll have to spend a few nights working on the right side before being able to reshoot it. Here is the left side in the booth, I mean my garage this morning.
Aaron Cox
i love how you can take the side of your car off.. ROFL
Stutgart46
Sounds good Paul.
I can't wait to see it put together.
URY914
Here is the hood after a few hours baking in the sun. Today is a perfect day for sun.

We learned a few weeks ago that a little turbulance is a good thing. So if my hood has a finish sorta like an orange, this would be OK right? Kinda like a golf ball. laugh.gif
URY914
Here is the best piece...

URY914
Sweet love wub.gif
URY914
I'm going to let the left side sit for a few hours inside. This has some orange peel but not as bad as before.

I'm not showing you the right side. rolleyes.gif

Next Sunday I'm going to Sebring to put it on the scales. happy11.gif

P
STL914
Looking good Paul.

Did you make the one piece left and right sides?

I've been searching for something exactly like that for several years now to use as a life size wall hanging in the Porsche Loft in my house. That and a pair of Fuchs and tires cut down to fill in the wheel wells.

What does the single piece weigh?
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 5 2006, 03:44 PM)
Sweet love wub.gif

Wow- it looks nice. I don't much care for the fan propeller mounted swamp-boat style on the rear lid, though. Is that SCCA legal?

Cole rolleyes.gif
Lou W
Sure does look good smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Feb 5 2006, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 5 2006, 03:44 PM)
Sweet love wub.gif

Wow- it looks nice. I don't much care for the fan propeller mounted swamp-boat style on the rear lid, though. Is that SCCA legal?

Cole rolleyes.gif

I KNEW someone would say something about that. laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE (STL914 @ Feb 5 2006, 01:04 PM)
Looking good Paul.

Did you make the one piece left and right sides?

I've been searching for something exactly like that for several years now to use as a life size wall hanging in the Porsche Loft in my house. That and a pair of Fuchs and tires cut down to fill in the wheel wells.

What does the single piece weigh?

Yes the sides are one piece and 95% fiberglass.

One side weights 20 pounds maybe. Kinda hard to hold it on the bathroom scale. biggrin.gif
seanery
Paul, it's easy, just climb on the scale...check your weight. Then climb on with the panel...check new weight, subtract old from new weight and there's your easy answer...take the scale outside to make it easier biggrin.gif wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 5 2006, 04:13 PM)
Paul, it's easy, just climb on the scale...check your weight. Then climb on with the panel...check new weight, subtract old from new weight and there's your easy answer...take the scale outside to make it easier biggrin.gif wink.gif

thats how we weigh our dogs....
seanery
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 5 2006, 06:22 PM)
Paul, it's easy, just climb on the scale...check your weight. Then climb on with the panel...check new weight, subtract old from new weight and there's your easy answer...take the scale outside to make it easier  :D  ;)

me, too! laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 5 2006, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 5 2006, 06:22 PM)
Paul, it's easy, just climb on the scale...check your weight. Then climb on with the panel...check new weight, subtract old from new weight and there's your easy answer...take the scale outside to make it easier  :D  ;)

me, too! laugh.gif

rofl!

Trekkor
Good job!

Thin coats are lighter. wink.gif

KT
watsonrx13
Great job Paul, nice to see the car one color again...

-- Rob
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

GREAT CAR !!!! Keep us posted.

DAVE slap.gif wub.gif
Hybrid_Teener
OMG!! LOOK AT ALL THAT PAINT!!!

now it weighs too much!

=p
Root_Werks
Sweet mother of painted FG flared race cars! That looks great! ohmy.gif laugh.gif
URY914
I hung the left side on it after I gotr home from work.

Man it is RED. biggrin.gif

URY914
It was getting dark so the pictures are doctored up a little.

neo914-6
Very nice Paul! clap56.gif

no offense intended but it sorta reminds me of a cross between the one-piece amusement park car ride...

...and the Isdera Spyder 036i! biggrin.gif
URY914
Felix,

I don't think I've ever seen that car. Looks good.

I plan on taking some pinstriping tape and outlining the door lines so from about 10' away it won't look one piece sides. wink.gif

P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.