Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /4 engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
i've been tossing the idea around of doing a engine rebuild next year and wanted to ask you guys which engine people usually use.

I have a stock 1.7L with L-jet, but I think a nice 2056 or a tad bigger would be good...

what do ya'll think?

Sincerely,
Sir-Post-Alot
bd1308
that is unless somebody has any idea to pep up my 1.7L

b
Jake Raby
Its ALL dependant upon what you have to spend!

How much ya got??

remember that the 1.7 is just as easy to make MassIVe as any other engine- my 3 Liter is based on a 1.7 case!
bd1308
all of the /4 cases are the same arent they?

I ahve zilch now, but i plan to have a moderate amount by next year.

not 2056 crate engine money, but cylinder head money and what-not.

someday i'll get a raby engine, that is when I build my megasquirt.

b
bd1308
so jake, lemme ask you something then.

for just "cruising" and long-distance driving, is it worth going to like a 2.x size?

I mean I would like my car to run reliably, but like you always say "it's all in the combo"

not asking for detailed info, just wondering if you have a small displacement good running engine idea in the form of a kit that could be purchased....

b
Joe Ricard
Britt, ain't nuthin wrong wit yo 1.7L for kruzin. 32 MPG is really cool.
Didn't know 1.7 came with L-jet. confused24.gif
Looks like I sold my Early "W" case 1.7L to fund my 2056 screamer.
Bleyseng
The costs to rebuild a 1.7l properly is almost the same as a 2056. The biggest cost is the 3 bolt heads although you could use a set of Jake's special heads instead.

Depends on how much hp you have to have as a 1.7 can be built to run better than stock & with more HP. popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
/4 engine rebuild, what do people usually do?

Buy a new hamster biggrin.gif

(that one was for JP wink.gif )
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 6 2006, 09:23 AM)
Britt, ain't nuthin wrong wit yo 1.7L for kruzin. 32 MPG is really cool.
Didn't know 1.7 came with L-jet. confused24.gif
Looks like I sold my Early "W" case 1.7L to fund my 2056 screamer.

it didnt. I put L-jet on it because I was done with fooling with carbs.

You sold your heads too?

b
Jake Raby
Sounds like you need a 2056 or 2270 engine kit.... Its the cheapest way to do it yourself, get a correct combo and get support to boot!
jetboy
Hope this isnt hijacking, but, im also curious about the options for 1.7 build up. Is there any machining required to put in larger pistons/cylinders? Or is the 1.7 stuck with the stock size 90mm bores?
Joe Ricard
Yea Britt I sold it as a super long block. which is Flywheel, oil cooler and probably some tin maybe a fan housing if I can talk him into taking it too.

Got another set of 1.7L heads probably serviceable haven't checked them out yet.

Jet Boy the case does not need to be modified but the 1.7L heads do need to be cut for bigger cylinders.
Trekkor
popcorn[1].gif

What? I was hungry.

KT
Joe Ricard
Trekkor you crack me up.
Maybe if I give Britt the parts AND drive them up to KY.
Jake Raby
The 1.7 case is no smaller than the 2.0! To upgrade the 1.7 all you need are components from a 2.0 to drop right in, no machining required.

my 3 liter is based on a 1.7 case! I did it to prove the point that the 1.7 case is fine to modify.
tat2dphreak
Britt, also think of the 1911 size, that will keep you from buying a 71mm crank, just standard 1.7/1.8 crank, 96mm pistons, 1.8 or 2.0 cylinders machined to 96mm , and the headwork...

just wanted to throw out another option...

the 1.8 bus motor I have in the corner will probably get the 1911 treatment when I get around to it...
Aaron Cox
britt...
to go 2056 you need a 2l crank = money
to go 2270 you need a stroker crank, = more money....

do a 1911... its a 96mm bore with your 1.7/1.8 crank.
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 6 2006, 04:14 PM)
britt...
to go 2056 you need a 2l crank = money
to go 2270 you need a stroker crank, = more money....

do a 1911... its a 96mm bore with your 1.7/1.8 crank.

i'd vote for the 1911 if money is an issue*, once you get $20K in student loans, then go the monster Raby motor smile.gif

*even if money is not an issue, it's a good fun engine, heck, just even a stock rebuild will be more enjoyable that what you are currently driving.....just make sure you get a good cam from Jake...the megasquirt can handle anything you throw at it...you'll love your new motor...
lapuwali
Subaru...

hide.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 6 2006, 04:29 PM)
Subaru...

hide.gif

it's getting more and more tempting for me, especially since I no longer have a real time frame to get my car up and running wacko.gif

I'm waiting for Fiid to decide to go with a Subaru transmission so that I can buy his adapter stuff from him welder.gif
sanman
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 6 2006, 03:29 PM)
Subaru...

hide.gif

ohmy.gif laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 09:46 AM)
Britt, ain't nuthin wrong wit yo 1.7L for kruzin.  32 MPG is really cool.
Didn't know 1.7 came with L-jet.    :confused:
Looks like I sold my Early "W" case 1.7L  to fund my  2056 screamer.

You sold your heads too?

b

dry.gif Thought you went with carbs because you were tired of screwing with the F.I.? laugh.gif poke.gif poke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 6 2006, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 09:46 AM)
Britt, ain't nuthin wrong wit yo 1.7L for kruzin.  32 MPG is really cool.
Didn't know 1.7 came with L-jet.    :confused:
Looks like I sold my Early "W" case 1.7L  to fund my  2056 screamer.

You sold your heads too?

b

dry.gif Thought you went with carbs because you were tired of screwing with the F.I.? laugh.gif poke.gif poke.gif

he went with carb....as in singular wacko.gif
scotty b
huh.gif Tell him not me ph34r.gif Britt made me say it bootyshake.gif
bd1308
no with the FI i was tired of running a tired 2.0 to the ground while running fuel injection which I had to jimmy rig till next weekend.

This L-jet starts right up, no problems albeit a little miss every now and then.

the 1911 is probably what i'll do. with a warm cam and MS. I have the 1.7L Djet setup ready for it.

Joe: wha?

is there really THAT much of a difference between the 1.7 and the 1911?

b
bd1308
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 6 2006, 06:00 PM)
huh.gif Tell him not me ph34r.gif Britt made me say it bootyshake.gif

av-943.gif

you guys crack me up...and all of you are as sharp as tacks smile.gif

b
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 07:23 PM)
no with the FI i was tired of running a tired 2.0 to the ground while running fuel injection which I had to jimmy rig till next weekend.

This L-jet starts right up, no problems albeit a little miss every now and then.

the 1911 is probably what i'll do. with a warm cam and MS. I have the 1.7L Djet setup ready for it.

b

if you make the 1911 with higher CR, better cam and MS there will be a BIG difference...
Jake Raby
My 1911 combo makes MORE power than a stock 2.0 and runs cooler! I'll make you a sweet deal on some 1911 parts- they need to go and have been slow movers lately.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 05:23 PM)

b

everything being equal, the 1911 should have a 10% increase in power over the 1700...going with a Jake combo, it'll be way more than that...you'd be silly to opt for anything else unless you go with a monster motor from him...
bd1308
well if you need a kidney from an A+ person, lemme know.

otherwise i *WILL* be talking to you either this summer or next spring.....

b
914werke
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 6 2006, 04:35 PM)
My 1911 combo makes MORE power than a stock 2.0 and runs cooler! I'll make you a sweet deal on some 1911 parts- they need to go and have been slow movers lately.

PM sent wink.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 6 2006, 03:21 PM)
i'd vote for the 1911 if money is an issue*, once you get $20K in student loans, then go the monster Raby motor smile.gif

Student loans, if they are applied to 914 rebuilds they are tax deductable and void the re-payment requirement...

I'm just kidding you understand. I wish it was so.
bd1308
a student loan huh?

idea.gif

hmmm....

oh and i decided that this 914 will not have a suby. I plan to make a 914 with a suby out of construction paper or something, so i can beat Paul by having the lightest 914.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 06:41 PM)
oh and i decided that this 914 will not have a suby

good idea, you already have hard enough time dealing with something that only uses gas and oil, I'd hate to see the problems encounted by adding water to the mix wacko.gif smash.gif biggrin.gif
bd1308
gee mike,

does your 914 run well enough to drive every day? w00t.gif
Gint
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 05:23 PM)

b

You betcherass there is. My first 914 was a 1.8 with 96mm PC's and dual IDFs. With hydraulic lifters no less. That car was an absolute blast! It would run with 2.0's all day long.
bd1308
hydro?

are you in the boat that says "it works great" or in the boat that says "that F'd up my engine"

?

b
MattR
Subaru...

hide.gif

six...

hide.gif
Gint
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 6 2006, 06:58 PM)
hydro?

are you in the boat that says "it works great" or in the boat that says "that F'd up my engine"

?

b

Niether. Forget about that. The point is that the 1911 is a great motor and significantly better than a stock tired 1.7
jetboy
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 6 2006, 01:25 PM)
Jet Boy the  case does not need to be modified but the 1.7L heads do need to be cut for bigger cylinders.

What kind of machine work needs to be done? How much does it cost for a shop to do it?
Eric Taylor
QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 6 2006, 07:00 PM)
Subaru...

hide.gif

six...

hide.gif

Say it louder SIX biggrin.gif

Eric
anthony
For the cost of a 2L crank and rods (maybe $200) I'd jump up to a 2056 even with 1.7L heads. Even at super sale prices a whole 1911 kit from Jake is probaby going to cost at least $2K.

If that isn't close to your budget then I'd keep an eye out for some free 1.7/1.8 engines. People around my neck of the woods seem to just give them away because nobody wants them. Maybe try and piece together a good engine from used parts and new rings, bearings, and some head work. At minimum it could be a fun project.

bd1308
i'll see.

I think I can piece together some frankenstein contraption that should work one some level.

this 1.7 is sweet though.

I would like to go 1911, but we'll see.

Mueller, I was just playin with ya.

b
tdsmoonchild
I'm also looking to rebuild/upgrade my 1.7. Would like about 125hp. Don't have alot of cash either. What is the advantage of having the three stud heads vs the 1.7 heads? WTF.gif Especially if you get the 1.7 heads ported, polished, chambered, and bigger valves put in?
tdsmoonchild
Also, what is this "megasquirt" thing I keep reading in the posts?
MattR
QUOTE (tdsmoonchild @ Feb 6 2006, 07:46 PM)
I'm also looking to rebuild/upgrade my 1.7. Would like about 125hp. Don't have alot of cash either. What is the advantage of having the three stud heads vs the 1.7 heads? WTF.gif Especially if you get the 1.7 heads ported, polished, chambered, and bigger valves put in?

Spark plug angle. The 2.0 has a different spark plug angle then a standard 1.7/1.8. The 2.0 is more efficient, they say.

It also has slightly different engine tin.
MattR
QUOTE (tdsmoonchild @ Feb 6 2006, 07:53 PM)
Also, what is this "megasquirt" thing I keep reading in the posts?

http://www.megasquirt.info/

megasquirt is basically a brain. Its an interface between the sensors on the engine and engine management (via laptop).
bd1308
laptop isnt required once tuning is complete.
anthony
QUOTE (tdsmoonchild @ Feb 6 2006, 08:46 PM)
I'm also looking to rebuild/upgrade my 1.7. Would like about 125hp. Don't have alot of cash either.

Forget about it. Learn to live with your 1.7 if you don't have any cash. 125hp requires a well tuned 2056 with a hot cam. You'll need carbs or an aftermarket fuel injection to run it because the stock fuel injection doesn't cut it. If you price Jakes kits you'll see that a 2056 kit starts at $3,100. If you can't get a Megasquirt system together then figure on carbs at $1000/set or an aftermaket fuel injection system at around $1500.
jetboy
QUOTE (jetboy @ Feb 6 2006, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 6 2006, 01:25 PM)
Jet Boy the  case does not need to be modified but the 1.7L heads do need to be cut for bigger cylinders.

What kind of machine work needs to be done? How much does it cost for a shop to do it?

I guess i will quote myself again since nobody has figured out an answer yet wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.