Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires & Armor All
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
Found this to be an interesting comment:

Ozone is a highly reactive form of oxygen, which is why it can be dangerous to human health as well. Ozone is one of the primary causes of the degradation of rubber because it reacts with any unsaturated double bonds left in the rubber polymer. It can also react with regular covalent-type polymer bonds, but this is more of a minor reaction. Once the reaction has started, it basically goes down the polymer chain via free-radicals and 'unzips' the polymer molecule—effectively destroying it. Tire manufacturers minimize the effect of ozone degradation by adding antioxidants to their tire formulas and waxes that protect by blooming to the surface of the tire and forming a coating, effectively sealing the surface molecules of the rubber from the air and ozone. This is why the tire manufacturers discourage the use of products like Armor All on the sidewalls of the tires because the Armor All can solubilize the waxes and then remove them over time.
Mark Henry
So...what do we use?

I use the No-touch stuff, does that hurt the rubber? Got to clean it with something.

I did use armour all on my old bug tires many moons ago and they all cracked to shit after about 10 years.
Tobra
I have been using the spray on foam tire stuff for 6 or 7 years with pretty good results. I had heard the armor all was not so good in college chem class from good old Dr. Dave
bd1308
I wanna know how to restore rubber after its already gone

sad.gif

I have like ten 914 seals that are just FUBAR'd.

b
ClayPerrine
Don't forget to armor all the treads before an autocross.....

lol2.gif
Crazyhippy
Makes sense on weatherstriping etc... but i've never had a set of tires get too old???

They just get bald unsure.gif

BJH
meares
silcone maybe?.....
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Feb 6 2006, 07:07 AM)
Makes sense on weatherstriping etc... but i've never had a set of tires get too old???

BJH

just keep them clean and cover them with this in between runs.

rubber not supposed to last long enough to crack.
aircooledboy
silcone maybe?.....

Exactly!

Silicone is the culprit. Will have the same effect on interior trim as well. Just make sure the product you are using is not silicone based and you should be fine.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 6 2006, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Feb 6 2006, 07:07 AM)

BJH

just keep them clean and cover them with this in between runs.

rubber not supposed to last long enough to crack.

Cool!!!!

Ductape tires...... rocking nana.gif

If you put the sticky side out, it will handle better.

But then it will accellerate slower.
nynone4
I use Wesley's Bleche-White to clen the sidewalls of my tires. It leaves them nice and black without that greasy shiny Armor All look.

A word off caution though if you use this stuff: DON'T get it on your anodized wheels (like Fuchs). It will leave a permanent mark every where it comes into contact. Ask me how I found that out.... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.