Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:NAPA autparts sc#%^ed me, should they pay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Went to the local NAPA autoparts on Saturday to pick up some parts and decided that since I have my injectors off I should replace the o-rings.

I told the sales guy the specs of the truck and he hands me 8 re-furb kits which have a plastic pintle cover, a spacer and 2 o-rings.

I go home, remove the old parts (have to cut off the old pintle covers) and install the new parts....well, the last 2 pintle covers split and break, I'm thinking it was just a tolerance issue and go back to NAPA.

Guess what? They don't list an '01 kit, the kid behind the counter just figured that they look like the kits for '99 and older injectors and sold me kits without saying a word.

Now I have 8 fuel injectors that are useless without the correct pintle covers and nobody seems to offer them seperatly.

Of course NAPA is willing to refund my $30 or whatever for the useless kits, but what about my injectors???

I'm about to pop a blood vessel headbang.gif
jhadler
They owe you.

Yes, for the pintle covers, but if their staff and/or computer can't give you the right product, then they should say so. And if their system isn't capable of differentiating, then they owe you for their mistake... It is, after all, an auto parts store. That's their -job-.

And it's NAPA, which I consider to be a cut above the rest of the FLAPS...

-Josh2
dmenche914
Oh Mike, don't tell me they have obsoleted the part on a five year old truck???? What kind of fuck uhm, I mean truck did you buy that does not have replacement parts available???? If not available new, then I guess it is off to the wreckers to find some. what make and model truck is it?

good luck
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jhadler @ Feb 6 2006, 05:11 PM)
And it's NAPA, which I consider to be a cut above the rest of the FLAPS...

My experience with them has been that their name stands for
"No Actual Parts Available" but perhaps they vary by location.

the last time (God willing...) I was in a NAPA store the guys claimed not to be able to supply me a 710x9,5mm V-belt. "We don't stock any of that metric stuff..."

they had no trouble furnishing me a 28x3/8" belt tho...
Mueller
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 6 2006, 02:27 PM)
Oh Mike, don't tell me they have obsoleted the part on a five year old truck???? What kind of fuck uhm, I mean truck did you buy that does not have replacement parts available???? If not available new, then I guess it is off to the wreckers to find some. what make and model truck is it?

good luck

I can buy new injectors or O-rings for my '01 Ford......

what they do not list (NAPA, Kragens or Ford) is the plastic cover that holds one of the O-rings for '00 or newer injectors........

had I known that I was supposed to replace just the O-ring, that is what I would have done, but they sold me the covers as well
Bruce Allert
Just go directly to the manager of the store & if that doesn't work get their regional managers number. Give them a call.

If NAPA messed up they should be willing to stand behind their good name & get you satisfied.

....b
Mark Henry
Mike your having a real string of bad luck, this is #3 so hopefully it's the end of it.

Go see them, ask them for the name of the kid, the manager and the info on head office, as you need it to file the small claims court papers. Often just the threat will make them settle.

Document everything and be prepared to follow through with a claim. I hope you still have the parts, but no matter if you still have the paperwork. While it's still fresh write down everything that has been said.
dmenche914
Agree with Bruce, bring this to the attention of the manager, have it all thought ought, and have your demand all figured out (ie you want 8 replacement injectors to make things right). If no help, then write the letters to corporate office, and see what happens. If the fact is they sold you parts that they claimed fit your truck, then you find they do not have them, but you nruined your injectors becuase of their mistake then you might have achance of winning this one.

The main theme that you want to impress on them is that they sold you the wrong parts and that was the cause of your inmjectors being ruined, cause you trusted them on what they sold you as being correct. It is their fualt this happened, and it is a predictable conclusion to selling the wrong parts. They sold you a product that was wrong, you did not ask for the wrong product, they messed up.

good luck
McMark
A bit OT, but NAPA stores vary from place to place. The one local to me is AWESOME. Knowledgable people and huge stock. Brandon just bought a 49 Plymouth to restore and we got a water pump, fuel pump and carb rebuild kit in stock. Everything else will be here in 24 hours. ohmy.gif

But, that sucks Mike. Talk to the manager, see if they are willing to special order the parts directly from the Ford/Dodge/Chevy/Whatever dealer in town. Threaten with small claims court. I think you'd win in a heartbeat in SC court.
Mueller
sales dude just called, claims he'll have the correct plastic pintle covers tom. afternoon....got them thru some non-standard catalog or something like that.....I did find a place that sells brand new Bosch injectors for my truck for $275 for all 8 !!!!!!

Great price, just would rather not spend the cash right now....
Gint
It's been my experience that most NAPA's will make it right. Talk to the manager as stated previously.
BMartin914
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 6 2006, 05:42 PM)
A bit OT, but NAPA stores vary from place to place.

agree.gif

I had always had positive experiences with NAPA until I went to get a new starter solenoid for my truck last summer. Bought the solenoid, pulled the starter out and determined that it was the wrong part. Called and found out that the correct part is not even available.

I go to return the wrong part and the manager of the store accuses me of using the part (because it is warm, because it had been in my truck all day in 100' weather rolleyes.gif). After basically being called a liar by the manager and explaining that YOU DON'T EVEN CARRY THE PART, they gave me my money back. I don't think I will ever go back - being accused of lying does not set well with me.

Another thing I have learned when buying from FLAPS, is that you have to know exactly what it is you want and what it looks like. Case in point - when I did the brakes on my girlfriend's car, the kid behind the counter gave me drums - not discs and the incorrect pads. I didn't look in the boxes because I thought I could trust him to know what discs look like. screwy.gif
jonwatts
Yeah, NAPA stores are different. I usually trust them to have better replacement parts and the staff are usually guys who have done some wrenching in their day. But they also definitely appear to be individually owned so I'm not sure how high you can go up the command chain to get resolution.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.