Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We're Back !!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
alright, sorry for the 914clubless weekend.
our server died on thursday night and it took all weekend to get the parts to fix it. arrggghhh.

later,
Andy
Chris H.
Wohooooo! Glad to hear it! boldblue.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif
Mark Henry
Hey dude is the man in? I gggot the ssshhhakes so baaaad!! Dddaddy needs hhhis medicine. Dddo ya hhhave tthe shittt man?

Ssshoot mme sooome of thattt clubbb stuffff

Ahhhhhhhh! that's better, feel normal now. no more shakes! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif
Jeroen
Hey Andy,

Thanks for getting it back on line! beer.gif
That was one boring weekend for the rest of us pain30.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
EdwardBlume
Boring indeed. Thanks for putting it back up. ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for bring it back Andy and Brad. Yours can be a thankless job, but we all appreciate it.
mr914
Oh, went to a 914 tech session, fixed a guage cluster on a 6....

Welcome back beer.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif
GWN7
5 days of no dancing bananas......my eyesight was almost back to normal smile.gif
campbellcj
I knew this server room stuff was complicated...I guess that's why you 'puter wonks' (as JP would say) get paid the big bucks...
SirAndy
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 18 2003, 04:13 PM)
I knew this server room stuff was complicated...I guess that's why you 'puter wonks' (as JP would say) get paid the big bucks...

haha, have no idea WHY that picture looks soooo familiar rolleyes.gif
bernbomb914
Someones wiring loom for his FI

Thanks for getting us back online I was having a nervious breakdown boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Brad did you get my answer?

Bernie aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif beerchug.gif have another beer buddy!
Dave Cawdrey
Its like taking a purple (or green) hit out of a freshly cleaned bong biggrin.gif You know, clean filtered water an a couple ice cubes...

AAAAAHHHHHHH wink.gif Now you know what I did last weekend laugh.gif
Dave Cawdrey
coughcough.. Oh yea, almost forgot blink.gif Thanks for fixin her!
Gint
That's nasty Chris. I gotta lift a floor tile to see that kinda mess.

Thanks Andy.
campbellcj
QUOTE(ginter @ Feb 18 2003, 07:33 PM)
That's nasty Chris. I gotta lift a floor tile to see that kinda mess.

My wife sent me that pic; no clue where it came from.

It does look a little familiar though. The office suite we're in (actually more like the whole 1st floor of our bldg) used to be a call center for an insurance company or something, back in the early 80's. They had hundreds of mainframe dumb terminals wired up via thick coax all over the friggen place. Huge patch panels and bundles of the crap everywhere -- in the floors, walls, and ceilings. We cut/pulled some of it out, but it's essentially a permanent part of the building now.

Fortunately my lashup is very simple...a mere 4 servers, a dozen or so desktops & notebooks, and 4 printers. Switched 100BaseT/Cat5 and a single external T1. Piece O' Cake. Usually.
Brad Roberts
Yeah. This is what I used to build out: Later we actually used the cable management trays as we began to ad switches with more ports.

Sorry I could'nt help out over the weekend Andy. My attitude went down the drain with some shit that happened on Thursday afternoon right before the club site went down. Then to have the wife leave for 5 weeks Sunday morning at 7am pretty much iced my weekend of bad attitude. When it rains is pours. I was better off staying away from everybody and staying off the phone.

We do need to chat about how this server is configured. It should be raid 5 with striping. That one hard drive should have never brought this site down. We should also chat about your COLO space. I would be more than happy to handle all of your hardware issues (reboots/whatever) if we could move the boxes to a facility around the corner from me (pro-class 24/7 facility) Something to think about. I felt like my hands where tied because I could'nt jump on the problem Thursday evening. I know the SSI server and my mail server need to be in a COLO space... we could share the costs.

B
Jeroen
When it rains it pours... man don't get me started!

Yesterday started out very succesfull. I had a meeting with the Dutch Porsche importer about our 914 club. They've treated us like shit for years, so I've been pulling some strings with the Porsche AG and at the end of the meeting, the dutch importer was pretty much eating out of my hand: "would you like to testdrive the new Cayenne for a day? Would you like a new Boxster so you can write a comparison artlicle in your clubmagazine?"

This meeting was to be my "last stand" for our club, before stepping down as a boardmember, so I felt pretty good about my accomplishments after the meeting

I was typing an e-mail to report the rest of the board about this, then e-mails from boardmembers start pooring in...
As usual they were bitching and moaning about nothing and trying to shovel their shit into my shoes
So, I said GO FUCK YOUR SELVES finger.gif

I'll get the fuckers back good...

Cheers,

Jeroen
(thanks for lettin' me vent)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 19 2003, 12:13 AM)
We do need to chat about how this server is configured. It should be raid 5 with striping. That one hard drive should have never brought this site down.

correct, what happend was that when the harddrive died it sent garbage on the SCSI bus, that made the controller freeze up on initialization. that's why it didn't get anywhere. i'm running raid 5, all drives are mirrored. as soon as i got the drive out the controller came back up ...

Andy
dgw
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 19 2003, 05:51 AM)

I was typing an e-mail to report the rest of the board about this, then e-mails from boardmembers start pooring in...
As usual they were bitching and moaning about nothing and trying to shovel their shit into my shoes

Jeron,
Don't you just love it when you volenteer you time and others bitch about it? I quit that years ago, If they want to bitch they can do it their own selves.
Jeroen
Dgw,

Yep, it's a bitch...

Someone once told me that volunteerswork is like pissing in black pants
No one will notice what you did, but it gives you a warm feeling biggrin.gif

It's their loss actually, since I was the last boardmember with good contacts through out the p-scene. The current board are a group of ignorant newbies and dunno shit about how stuff works, how to pull the right strings or who is who...

I'm thinking hard about pulling the plug on the club-website happy11.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.