Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - riddle me this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
my 2001 yukon xl died about 3 blocks from my house, i was able to coast home so at least its in my driveway (barely)

engine just died while driving, gas gauge says dead empty but I know it had about 1/2 tank yesterday. just put 5 more gallons in and it still says empty and will not start.

battery is good and cranks fine....when cranking gets oil pressure etc but gas gauge says empty. was thinking fuel pump but why would that effect the gas gauge? unless they are on the same circuit somehow.

so do I call AAA or is there an easy fix?
ws91420
Not sure if that is one of them but GM started using fuel pump modules (sending unit and pump in one unit). That said I would check the wiring to the pump first and see if you are getting power back there.
seanery
I agree with welby, check fuses, too...although I bet you've done it already.
machina
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Feb 7 2006, 09:54 AM)
Not sure if that is one of them but GM started using fuel pump modules (sending unit and pump in one unit). That said I would check the wiring to the pump first and see if you are getting power back there.

yup, just found out the sending unit and the pump are one unit.

checked the relay and replaced it but no difference.

so waiting on flatbed for trip to dealer. there are about a dozen recalls that need to be done anyway....

first time the truck has let me down in five years.
ClayPerrine
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

The reason I ask is that the fuel filter is after the pump. If the filter is not changed, the pump strains to push fuel through it, and burns up. Sometimes the pump shorts out and burns up the wiring to the pump, taking the gas gauge wiring with it.

I have fixed a lot of GM pickups with the same problem. Put a new pump and filter in, and fix the wiring.

Good luck with it.
URY914
David,
Where have you been?

Engine back and in?

Paul
robby750
Happened to my suburban last year. Wait till you see the price of a new fuel pump. sad.gif
bd1308
cant be more expensive than a 600 dollar D-jet pump.

I know its cheaper now though.

b
machina
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 7 2006, 10:58 AM)
David,
Where have you been?

Engine back and in?

Paul

slight change of careers, my photography has been picked up by a very important gallery.

I have an exhibit now and will be showing in brussels, buenos aires, vienna and costa rica in the next 7 months.

so haven't had time for the car.

the art world is crazy, late nights and lots of partying till late. my wife loves it ...NOT... beer.gif
seanery
that's awsome david!

and automotive art, too! smilie_pokal.gif
machina
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 7 2006, 11:30 AM)
that's awsome david!

and automotive art, too!  :trophy:

thanks guys,

basically I photograph vintage motorcycle, auto, and aircraft parts like they are buildings.

i am trained as an architect so that is what I know. The images are extremely high resolution so the prints are up to 3 meters long (120 inches) with incredible detail.

the image to the right on the back wall is a Type IV cylinder... smile.gif
Root_Werks
914 parts in art! I love it! smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
Damn! that is great! ohmy.gif

914's as art. Who knew? confused24.gif

Paul

URY914
So the thing with Playboy didn't work out? sad.gif

O'well.... biggrin.gif

ClayPerrine
Just don't let SirAndy take the pictures for you......

lol2.gif
dmenche914
nice art, but gawd a 5 year old truck failing like that, and a dozen recall items????? No wonder GM is near bankrupt. My fathers suburban has been the same story, huge failures on vaction trips, wheel bearing that take out the axle when they suddenly failed, engine issues, tranny issues, ventalation issues etc...

i have worked on thrity year old 914's with what appear to be the stock fuel pump still humming away. Ah the old technology.

Good luck
bd1308
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 7 2006, 11:01 AM)
nice art, but gawd a 5 year old truck failing like that, and a dozen recall items????? No wonder GM is near bankrupt. My fathers suburban has been the same story, huge failures on vaction trips, wheel bearing that take out the axle when they suddenly failed, engine issues, tranny issues, ventalation issues etc...

i have worked on thrity year old 914's with what appear to be the stock fuel pump still humming away. Ah the old technology.

Good luck

speaking of reliability....

I was rummaging through my father's Land Rover and saw up on the intake some horrid.....L-U-C-A-S.

but ya know, its the most reliable automobile we have :crazy:

over 179,000 miles and still starts and goes every day.

b
URY914
confused24.gif So why is it that two cars come of the line one behind the other.
One has no problems and runs like a top for 200k miles.
And the other needs every little thing replace within 40k miles.idea.gif

Now there is a riddle...

Paul
WRX914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 7 2006, 10:17 AM)
confused24.gif So why is it that two cars come of the line one behind the other.
One has no problems and runs like a top for 200k miles.
And the other needs every little thing replace within 40k miles.idea.gif

Now there is a riddle...

Paul

That is an easy one...

Because it is a GM!

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
seanery
David, what do you shoot with?
URY914
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 7 2006, 01:02 PM)

David lives in Miami Beach.
He shoots with a camera when he's on the beach.
And has a 9mm when he goes in to Miami. ar15.gif

P biggrin.gif
machina
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 7 2006, 04:02 PM)

i use a sinar F 4x5 view camera, Kodak Pro slr/n, Mamiya RZ67....

whatever it takes.

forget the 9mm, gotta carry the 50AE desert eagle
machina
and here is the fuel pump. The dealer is charging me $438 for the part, the online price is $260 but you have to drop the tank to install it and I just don't have the time or the b*lls to pull the 33.5 gal tank out of my truck. (which is almost full by the way)

Check out the pic, you can see the fuel level sender is part of the pump assembly...
ClayPerrine
It's easier to do in the pickup version. You unplug the wiring and pull the bolts that hold the bed to the frame. Then you get 6 friends to lift the bed up and off the frame (or pick up the bed with a lift).

Total time for the fuel pump replacement.... about 30 minutes.

Now dropping a almost completely full fuel tank.

It's gonna take 3 hours. Gotta drain the tank first.

Kargeek
This same issue happened with my bro-in law's suburban. Seems his wife likes to drive around on 1/4 tank and reserve- too cheap to fill the tank. The pump overheats as it cooled by fuel. Today's cars should be filled at 1/4 tank. Dealer charged over $1,000.00- DH
BIGKAT_83
Damn...... I use the same pump in my 914.....

Bobuser posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.