Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY air intake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I'd like to build a simple do it yourself air intake to connect to a stock 45mm throttle body. I'll use a K&N air filter at the end.

Has anyone done this? Any material suggestions? A rubber J-pipe that fits would be nice, but I could also go for aluminum, PVC, etc.

I'm planning on mounting the intake air temp sensor for my megasquirt in the intake as opposed to the stock location in the air box. People on here have said it suffers from heat soak. True?

Thanks
Mueller
search for "Demick" and air intake
(or chuck @ rennlist)

both did tests and show pictures and data of thier results....seems worth doing if you do it yourself, not worth doing if you have to buy the stuff off of eBay that some companies sell for way too much money to unsuspecting 914 owners smile.gif

r_towle
I have seen cold air box setups that basically isolate the intake from the engine bay.

Without the rain tray, build your system to fit snug against the underside of the engine lid...you will need to consider some water drains and protection for the filter...

But this will give you cold air versus engine bay air directed to your intake.

I would look in the boating world for some really good silicone tubing...its high heat resistant, flexible, and lasts a long time...there are also alot of wierd fittings in the boat world for cold air intakes, and venting that would work.

Try West Marine...great catalog, and lots of plumbing stuff.

Good luck.

Rich
yarin
I have no rain tray, not an issue.

I have no stock air box either... hehe.. Right now my existing air intake system end at the throttle body driving.gif

So i'm starting from scratch. I think i'll end up plumbing it myself from the hardware store and slapping on a K&N filter.
rpmmaxxed
I'll Get a pic up of my setup this afternoon. Couple feet of Aluminum piping, and a K&N style filter.
Jeff Nelson
Check out the work that this guy has done: http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm
I'm sure this is the guy that Mueller was referring to.
boxstr
I removed the end piece from a BMW air flow meter, it has a flange or lip. Installed it on th e914 air flowmeter which has no lip, I was then able to mount a K&N cone air filter to this and secure with a large clamp. You need to find a way to support the airflow meter.
I believe that 9X.com ?? Has them for sale, made from PVC and brass fittings for the vacumm hoses.
CCLINFORCEDAIR
jgara962
I made a cold air intake by using a 3" brake duct, cutting a hole in my rain tray, and pop riveting it in. I cut the original snorkel back several inches to a wider point, and then connected the two with a piece of 3" brake duct hose. Works pretty well with the K&N in the original spot. You can hear the thing sucking air which is cool.

My car isn't a daily driver and I have to disconnect the hose when I wash the car.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Jeff Nelson @ Feb 7 2006, 11:34 AM)
Check out the work that this guy has done: http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm
I'm sure this is the guy that Mueller was referring to.

That is Charlie Davis. He is the PCA 914Sig advocate and a past PCA president.

His 914 is a stock Zambesi Green 2.0. He is a retired engineer, and he put a lot of work into the temp analysis.

The intake change was in an effort to lower the temp.

I have seen the car in person. The level of detail in construction is amazing.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.