Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dual progressives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
somebody here has this setup, could I see some pics?

those manifolds are VERY hard to find, and would help the problem of the intake runners...and that carb has a very wide selection of replacement parts available.

b
Aaron Cox
talk to lvsteveh
Trekkor
d-jet...single...l-jet...rebuild?...duals rolleyes.gif

I'll bite.
"Now what"?

KT ph34r.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2006, 10:18 AM)

those manifolds are VERY hard to find, and would help the problem of the intake runners...and that carb has a very wide selection of replacement parts available.

b

i've never seen this setup, but I'd like to .......it does seem like the way to go if you insist on using those carbs instead of webers/dells

2 of those carbs seem a little on the large side for a /4 motor however
SLITS
Please don't get him started again...........
r_towle
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 7 2006, 12:18 PM)

b

NO!

You cant see the setup.
You cant play with the progressive carb anymore...

Once again, on behalf of the club, I am gonna drive down there and take the progressive away from you so you cant look at it anymore...

Intervention....

Rich
Trekkor
Intervention....

Who's in? boldblue.gif

KT

ClayPerrine
Britt,

May I make a suggestion......

Take the progressive carb and drive to the nearest lake. Throw the carb in the lake. If it floats, use it on your car.

biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, a Pinto carb does not belong on a 914 at all, no matter how you hook it up. You might as well put a 2GV Rochester carb on it.

bd1308
i just wanted to see the setup...

is this a one-off thing, or was it an actual once-available option.

carbs will never touch my hands again on the 914, as for the t1 powered lawnmower smile.gif it will get some baby dells or something, maybe even the weber carb thing.

b
Aaron Cox
let him do it.

worst case - he learns something
best case - he learns something...

bondo
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2006, 10:32 AM)
Britt,

May I make a suggestion......

Take the progressive carb and drive to the nearest lake. Throw the carb in the lake. If it floats, use it on your car.

biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, a Pinto carb does not belong on a 914 at all, no matter how you hook it up. You might as well put a 2GV Rochester carb on it.

I think Britt needs sidedraft carbs.. SUs come to mind.. nothing quite like an oversized vacuum operated moped carb. biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 7 2006, 11:35 AM)
let him do it.

worst case - he learns something
best case - he learns something...

AA, we had a talk about this.

for a 1600 engine, the weber will be good.

unless I go suby.

b
Trekkor
carbs will never touch my hands again on the 914

Famous last words. dry.gif

I on the other hand I had two fantastic drives in my car under Weber power the last two days. Awesome!!!

I'll drive again today.

KT :triplewebers:
Brett W
Hey Britt I have an extra progressive if you want to try this out. happy11.gif
Trekkor
AA, we had a talk about this.

Did you learn something? biggrin.gif

This is going to be a good one. chairfall.gif

KT

Aaron Cox
damn.. i said no names chairfall.gif

in another post he was inquiring about obtaining progressive carbs......
so i said.... you should go to dual progressives (only half serious)

but.... ive seen the pics.

LVSteveH has this setup on his car if im not mistaken.....

stromberg was looking at having these manifolds made too
LvSteveH
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 7 2006, 09:24 AM)
talk to lvsteveh

Did somebody ring? Yes, they did have a kit out for a while, but I think the volume produced was fairly low. I currently have it running on a 1.8L with low compression pistons. Even in an optimum state of tune we are talking 75-80hp or so for the motor. I have to admit, the car runs like a champ. I have not touched one screw on the carbs in the six months I've had this motor in. The electric chokes help a bunch with cold startup, and throttle progression is very good. Next to FI, they are the best I've come across, and I think they would work even better on a larger motor.

About the only real issue was figuring out how to synch the carbs, because you don't have the velocity stack to put the unisyn in. I made an adapter that is roughly the shape of the air filter, and they synched up just fine. The only issue I have had was going to high altitude, the idle rpm dropped a bunch. The motor runs so smooth with the 050 distributor that my normal rpm is only around 700 or so. At altitude it dropped down to 400-500 in the mountains due to the mixture being rich.

I can't imagine you'd have much luck finding a set of the manifolds, I'd suggest building some if that is the way you want to go. Of course i could be talked into selling my motor AND the dual progressive setup ready to run for the right price. Motor has about 6000 miles on a complete professional rebuild that cost $2300, and the carbs have about the same mileage. Call it $1200 plus shipping for the complete setup, including tin, dizzy, mount bar, plug and play. All you will need is a fuel pump, flywheel, and clutch. I like the rotary 5 psi unit mounted in the front. I drive the car several times a week, and it pulls well to high rpm's, so it must have a cam in it. The motor is not on the market, and it won't be, it's too nice to have a reliable 914 to hop in and drive. Just trying to help someone out if they need to get on the road.
SLITS
Britt doesn't need an engine....Britt needs to go see the Wizard for a b............
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 7 2006, 09:57 AM)
Britt doesn't need an engine....Britt needs to go see the Wizard for a b............

Brain ?????

ding ding ding what did I win???? happy11.gif
bd1308
thank guys.

I owe Joe Richard and SLITS (whom was secretly behind that comment, not Ron) a cold one.

b
Al Meredith
I have the article from Aug. 1980 in Dune Buggies & Hot VWs. It says they picked up the kit at Beck Enterprises, 1451 W 135th in Gardena. After installatin they say a stock TY4 1.7 will put out 67/68 HP and with the duel 5200's and some coaxing and a 009 set at 33* they achieved 78 HP with stock exhaust. With a cam and headers they felt 100 HP possible. For those of you who knew Chuck Beck he is now living about 30 miles west of Atlanta. Oh, the story was written by Alex Walordy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.