Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom rear window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Right now I don't have a rear window, i guess the previous owner never had one fabbed that works around the roll cage.

user posted image

What material should I use? How thick? Lexan? Plexi? I've read a little about Makrolon as well.

I'd like something that is fire resistant just in case. I have a stock glass rear window I can use to trace it out, for sale is anyone wants it.
Rob K
I would use 1/4 inch thick Lexan, it is very tough and impact resistant. You could throw a brick at it and it would bounce off. I am not sure about flame resistance, but at 1/4" thick, it should be OK. Plexiglass is Acrylic. It is more scratch resistant, and has better optical clarity (like glass) but is much more brittle. That is my 2 cents worth, from a mechanical Enginner. I design plastic parts for consumer products. Ever heard of Garmin (GPS)
Later, Rob

PS: I love the color of your car. Is it a stock yellow (L99A)
I would like to paint mine that color some day.
Lou W
I sure like that color wub.gif
yarin
How do I find the stock color code? Is it part of the VIN? Not sure what it was originally. It must be factory yellow though, i can't find a single area where its anything other than yellow.

1/4" Lexan sounds good, can i cut it on a bandsaw? I might slice it up on a mill if needed for the roll bar cutouts.
Joe Ricard
Your color code is located on the drivers side front door jamb. little aluminum plate.

Of course I like your color. my car "WAS" your twin till I started modding it.
mrdezyne
QUOTE (514727625 @ Feb 7 2006, 10:25 AM)
I would use 1/4 inch thick Lexan, it is very tough and impact resistant. You could throw a brick at it and it would bounce off. I am not sure about flame resistance, but at 1/4" thick, it should be OK. Plexiglass is Acrylic. It is more scratch resistant, and has better optical clarity (like glass) but is much more brittle. That is my 2 cents worth, from a mechanical Enginner. I design plastic parts for consumer products. Ever heard of Garmin (GPS)
Later, Rob

I agree with the fellow Mech. Engineer..... however I have never heard of Garmin, who's that? rolleyes.gif

I design plastics for another consumer electronics company. Have you ever heard of Lowrance GPS? icon_bump.gif
yarin
1/4" Lexan is damn expensive! OUCH.

Is there any way i can do this without spending $200?
jimtab
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 7 2006, 03:27 PM)

How big is your rear window...we sell a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 lexan for about 200.00 confused24.gif
yarin
QUOTE (jimtab @ Feb 7 2006, 07:53 PM)

How big is your rear window...we sell a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 lexan for about 200.00 confused24.gif

yes thats what iwas afraid of...

wacko.gif
mcbain77
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 8 2006, 03:34 AM)

wacko.gif

You could alsways make more than one out of a 4X8 sheet and sell the other(s). I don't have the exact dimensions on hand but it seems like a possibility.
jimtab
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 8 2006, 03:34 AM)

wacko.gif

Do you have Tap plastics back there, if so, you can get pieces cut at reasonable prices and charged by the sq. ft......good luck.
Oled
Quick rear window story. I had one car vandalized and got a roller to replace it. We have all heard previous owner stories and this one could have had a real bad outcome. I was going to repaint the car and I was removing everything I could from the body. The rear window broke when I took it out because some idiot had used regular house widow glass as a replacement. Some realy long shards were the result and they would have made short work of anyone who came in contact with them in a wreck.
yarin
I guess i'll suck it up come spring, buy a 4'x8' piece and cut it up. If one comes out nice i'll make more and try to sell.

What's Tap Plastics? Ohh.. found it http://www.tapplastics.com These guys are in Cali.

campbellcj
I used Lexan but I think it is thinner (track car); probably 3/16"? A local plastics supply place had a large enough remnant and it wasn't expensive at all. I don't remember exactly but WAY less than $200. I'm thinking like $35-40...

I'm sure at least 2 rears could be cut from a 4x8 sheet so maybe you could split it w/ somebody or even cut several windows and sell the extras here...
yarin
Funny it's been a year since I started this topic and I still haven't gotten around to finding a rear window...

So yea... does anyone have any scrap Lexan? 3/16 or 1/4". Big enough so I can cut up a rear window.

Or does anyone want to split a big sheet with me?

Thanks
Aaron Cox
on my friends pre-runer tube fram ranger, we used 1/4" lexan on the rear popouts, and rear window.

dzus fasteners to hold it on.

it scratches.... you will need to polish it when it does.
Martin Baker
I paid $30.00 for a sheet big enough at TAP plastics here in Sacramento. I wouldn't make it so thick. If you are working it around a cage, it'll make it hell to get in. As far a fire, even the glass window can not hold up to it, I have seen several fire cars, the rear glass blows out most of the time. Keep fire protection onboard, and do preventitive maintenace on your fuel system. Prevention is paramount...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.