Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping wheels and tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Evening folks..

I sold the wheels/tires from my Acura. The wheels are 18X7.5, the tires are a 205/40/18. Thay are still mounted on the rims, and inflated I need to ship them to Florida.

Whats the most cost effective way to do this?

Thanks,

Matt
mrdezyne
If there are Greyhound bus stations at each location, they will ship large stuff like that for a good price. I have sent car seats and wheels via Greyhound before.....
boxstr
agree.gif
CCLINDOGBUS
p914
I sold a set of 4 tires with rivieras and bundled 2 together and shipped em UPS from Vancouver WA to San Diego. Both sets of 2 arrived fine and dandy.
Porsche Rescue
I have taped two tires together and shipped FedEx Ground (FedEx is almost always cheaper than UPS in my experience). Not sure if they will take mounted tires but if UPS will FedEx should too. Tires were about $30 pair, Oregon to Michigan.
smdubovsky
DHL will ship 4 mounted tires (strap pairs together w/ a pc. of cardboard between the faces) for about $90 (cross country, heavy 18" wheels, and pickup at your door). Cheaper than fedex or UPS.

SMD
ninefourteener
QUOTE (smdubovsky @ Feb 8 2006, 07:16 AM)
DHL will ship 4 mounted tires (strap pairs together w/ a pc. of cardboard between the faces) for about $90 (cross country, heavy 18" wheels, and pickup at your door). Cheaper than fedex or UPS.

SMD

You said "pick up at your door".... that sounds good to me.

Whjat do "I" have to do to them (exactly) to prepare them to be shipped.

Maybe I'm stupid... who is DHL??
WRX914
I have a distribution warehouse here in Vegas, I sell mounted wheels and tires 25x10.5x12 All terrains for off highway vehicles weekly. I put the wheels together face to face with a cardboard seperator then shrinkwrap them together. UPS charges a handeling fee if they are not boxed... Never had even one problem after 1,000+ wheels shipped.
Mueller
take the air out, they'll weigh less biggrin.gif

Maybe I'm stupid... who is DHL??

are you serious??? wacko.gif

DHL*

ditto on the cardboard between them and wrapping together....I just used shrinkwrap last time, worked great.........

*founder was infamous for paying big $$$ to sleep with virgin pacific islander girls, he died in a plane crash a few years ago and many of the girls are now millionairs that ended up having a baby from him....

Porsche Rescue
Where does one get shrink wrap? Does it require a heat gun?

I have always used regular transparent packing tape, multiple wraps in about five places around the tires. Wheels would make that harder to do.
J P Stein
QUOTE (WRX914 @ Feb 8 2006, 10:37 AM)
I have a distribution warehouse here in Vegas, I sell mounted wheels and tires 25x10.5x12 All terrains for off highway vehicles weekly. I put the wheels together face to face with a cardboard seperator then shrinkwrap them together. UPS charges a handeling fee if they are not boxed... Never had even one problem after 1,000+ wheels shipped.

agree.gif
Shrink wrap is killer.
2 at a time.....4 gets too heavy. Then use the hound.
Porsche Rescue
HEY, JP, answer my question please!
Mueller
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Feb 8 2006, 01:12 PM)
HEY, JP, answer my question please!

I'm not JP, nor will I ever pretend to be smile.gif

bundling wrap @ Enco
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Mike, I wouldn't either! biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Aw, fuck both youz guys biggrin.gif

Office Depot, IIRC.....I went on a search for the stuff
and ended up at some office supply outfit East of here.
I asked at about 4 different joints & finally found it.

Heat guns are gud.
Porsche Rescue
Thank you sir. At least insults get results.
J P Stein
Your "shipping wrap" may be the same stuff. Try some heat & see if it shrinks...asshole biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Name calling is not becoming. smile.gif I was using plain old tape. Works fine for tires only. I will be needing wrap to ship my Boxster wheels (the ones you like so much) with tires when I sell them. The yellow car is for sale sans extra wheels/tires and custom seat.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Feb 8 2006, 08:48 PM)
Name calling is not becoming. smile.gif I was using plain old tape. Works fine for tires only. I will be needing wrap to ship my Boxster wheels (the ones you like so much) with tires when I sell them. The yellow car is for sale sans extra wheels/tires and custom seat.

Bring em' over & we can wrap em'. I got bout 9 milles of the stuff....and the tooling to make it easy. Didn't you help me with that once? Do I owe you too?

Custom seat? I need a pic. Cheep? biggrin.gif
Lou W
I boxed up two fuchs and tires in each box and mailed them through the USPS, it went very well, max weight of 32lbs, and I think it was something like $11.00 per box.
Porsche Rescue
Now there is a plan!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.