Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: performance exhaust question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ModPR3
im looking to build a performace 914 motor but having trouble finding a performace exhaust for it. it will be my daily driver so i still need heat exchangers on it. 1. are there any performance exhausts out there that already have heat exchangers on it or 2. can i add heater boxes like on a vw to a racing exhaust system.
ConeDodger
I think our Racer Chris at Tangerine Racing makes a set of headers with optional heat exchangers. My understanding is Jake Raby has done dyno work on all the common aftermarket stuff and These are the best. Get out your checkbook though they aren't really cheap unless you consider the extra horsies to be worth it.
Rob
Mueller
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 7 2006, 09:26 PM)
im looking to build a performace 914 motor but having trouble finding a performace exhaust for it. it will be my daily driver so i still need heat exchangers on it. 1. are there any performance exhausts out there that already have heat exchangers on it or 2. can i add heater boxes like on a vw to a racing exhaust system.

your choices:

Tangerine Racing header like Robby mentioned (starting price $1200 for heat)

and that's about it for a true performance exhaust with heat....

you next option is to go with SSI's....these are direct replacement heat exchangers that are stainless...no rust issues, are lighter than the factory heatexchangers....these can be found used for $250 a pair on up...some places still have them new, expect to pay close to $500 a set or more I think for new

no heat option would be European Racing Headers, (see resource section), these start in the low $300 or $400 range....

all heatexchangers are are headers with sheetmetal (in a simplified way), so yes, you could do the same mod like done with the VW stuff, however if not done right you could be looking at killing yourself wacko.gif
ModPR3
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 7 2006, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 7 2006, 09:26 PM)

your choices:

Tangerine Racing header like Robby mentioned (starting price $1200 for heat)

and that's about it for a true performance exhaust with heat....

you next option is to go with SSI's....these are direct replacement heat exchangers that are stainless...no rust issues, are lighter than the factory heatexchangers....these can be found used for $250 a pair on up...some places still have them new, expect to pay close to $500 a set or more I think for new

no heat option would be European Racing Headers, (see resource section), these start in the low $300 or $400 range....

all heatexchangers are are headers with sheetmetal (in a simplified way), so yes, you could do the same mod like done with the VW stuff, however if not done right you could be looking at killing yourself wacko.gif

yeah the killing myself is what im worried about. i do not want myself or passenger dying of carbon monoxide poisning. what do you think of the tangerine headers with heat exchangers i am willing to pay a high price to know that exhaust will not be leaking into my heating system.
Mueller
the Tangerine header is the best header for our 4 cylinder 914's.....period......

I still do not have one sad.gif , but it's on my wish list.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.