Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly OT: I pulled the intake on my S2 tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
My 944S2 spun some teeth off of the timing belt. In this car this is bad, very bad. Its an interference motor and pistons+valves-timingbelt = disaster. So I am in the process of pulling the head to assess the damage and try get her back on the road. I just pulled the intake manifold tonight.

First in the pic, you can see some brown gooey old fuel around the port, whats up with this? Normal?

Next you can see some coolant just under the port where the head meets the block, Blown head gasket?

user posted image
rick 918-S
I think what your seeing is oil not fuel. The blown head gasket could have caused excess crank case pressure, pushing oil vapors into the intake. That's a cool valve setup. wub.gif

I'm taking my "S" apart too. ohmy.gif For a broken intake spring.
Andyrew
Take off the head and find out!

just make sure to mark everything (belt.. pully ext)

dont want anything going back wrong...

I dont know much about these engines.. dad does though... post on rennlist, they know oogles.

Doesnt look good though sad.gif
jasons
I did post on rennlist here is the explanation I got...

The plenum design of the S/S2 intake manifold (as opposed to the 8V and T) tends to collect oil like a sump, when you run the car at wot and the volume of the plenum is called upon you'll pick up this oil that's normally left undisturbed.
Depending on whether the engine backfired through the intake when the cam belt went, this could explain why it's deposited there.
If you turn over your intake as if to drain it from the throttle butterfly and leave it sit on a clean shop towel, odds are you'll get the same old gooey oil drain from the plenum that's collected through the years, not a major concern.

The head has to come off since the belt broke. I don't think its a question of whether I bent valves, its how many? Also, the cams are not sync'd with the crank anymore because of the broken teeth. So, I have no choice but to do this somewhat blind. I have the factory manuals so it shouldn't be a problem. Putting it back together does stress me out though.

Here is another pic for you Rick.... Isn't my motor just half of an S4?

user posted image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.