Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tools needed to do a ground up Resto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
Other than normal tools, what sort of tools will I need in order to put together a 914-6 that is entirely disassembled? Which tools are the "would be nice to have" and which are "essential?" wacko.gif

Thanks
r_towle
a wallet full of credit cards.

A fridge full of beer.

a 13 mm wrench

thats about all I can come up with.

Rich
736conver
Get yourself some pneumatic tools if you dont have any. Saves time and energy.
SirAndy
QUOTE (736conver @ Feb 7 2006, 10:18 PM)
Get yourself some pneumatic tools if you dont have any. Saves time and energy.

air tools are a god-send ... also, you'll need jackstands. more than 4. and a good floorjack. and a engine stand. a complete set of metric wrenches. twice. a good set of metric sockets. a torque wrench.
cutting, grinding, welding.

some special stuff, like for the CV bolts, the balljoints, the tie-rods ...

i'm sure there's more ...
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Andy
bjorn jacobson
I always start out with at least a case of beer and a couple boxes of bandaids! laugh.gif
proto31
Well, the beer thing is covered, I make my own and always have plenty flowing out of my 4 tap kegerator beer.gif What about this mysterious clutch allignment tool that I keep hearing about. Is it necessary? Does anyone have any of these tools as extra that they would't mind parting with?
Mueller
QUOTE (proto31 @ Feb 8 2006, 12:53 AM)
Well, the beer thing is covered, I make my own and always have plenty flowing out of my 4 tap kegerator beer.gif What about this mysterious clutch allignment tool that I keep hearing about. Is it necessary? Does anyone have any of these tools as extra that they would't mind parting with?

the clutch alignment tool is like $10 or less...you don't need one, but it makes mating the transmission to engine a little easier for one person...all it is is a replica of the input shaft on the transmission....
michel richard
a broomstick or even an eyeball can be enough to line-up the clutch.
There's several specialized tool you need if you're rebuilding the engine, to time the camshafts most notably.
You'll also need to figure a tool out to put the rear trunk springs in.
And get every variant of a 13mm tool you can find: box end, of course, offset end, swivel socket, swivel drive for 1/4 inch socket extension, open end etc . . .
There may be more.
sgomes
If you get the air tools you should upgrade from bandaids to gauze and lots of it. laugh.gif
jasons
How about a tetanus shot?

Obviously, you need all the normal hand-tools. Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc...

Air tools are definitely a plus, just be careful with them you can F up your job if you pull the trigger too soon or too long.
ClayPerrine
The MOST essential tool.....

A Computer with internet access so you can get advice from 914club.

Plus you can use it to borrow tools (and hands) from fellow club members.

Gint
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 7 2006, 10:56 PM)
a wallet full of credit cards.

A fridge full of beer.

a 13 mm wrench

thats about all I can come up with.

Rich

agree.gif av-943.gif

And a full medical staff on standby. Including the funny farm truck.

Get started. As you come across a need for a tool you don't have, buy it. You'll have a nicely stocked garage when you're about 1/3 of the way through.
URY914
How about a wife and family that will let you work on your car when you want?

Maybe a Stepford wife that will hand you tools, get ya a beer and make dinner too. w00t.gif

P dry.gif
seanery
for that car, I would guess a rotisserie would help, too
ClayPerrine
Another important thing...

The love of a really good Toolwench!

That is absolutely priceless!!!
bjorn jacobson
I started to really think about this question and asked myself what tools really have made the job a lot easier.

Get a good angle grinder and quality cutoff and grinding wheels. I have been using Walther for both and these are something I could not give up. And get a canister type respirator, face shield, and ear plugs.

I'll think of more and post.
bondo
I saw your car in the other thread.. You're going to need a good welder and get good at using it. Probably a tig since it's a real six. A rotisserie couldn't hurt either, although you probably want the fenders back on before loading it up.
michael_oberg
Im doing a ground up restoration of my 1959 Ural motorcycle (partially in preparation for that porsche 914 that I will finally be ready to buy at the end of this year), and here are the tools that I have built up during the resto and have found to be essential:
- MIG welding setup. My used Lincoln 3200HD MIG came with a 20CF tank, and after having to refill after only an hour or two of use (20CF tank at 25CF/hour flow rate, you do the math), I realized that I needed a much bigger tank, and just bought a 125CF tank (ran about $110 with the 20CF tradein).
- Blast cabinet with glass beads. I built my own blast cabinet from scrap steel that I accumulated cheaply over the past 9 months, and bought all the accessories (media, gun, pickup tube, gloves, misc. hardware) from TPTools. From the time and energy spent building the cabinet I should have just bought a pre-made cabinet and spent the effort on the motorcycle. Although my cabinet is rather large and I am very happy with it, I would probably buy a harbor freight unit or maybe a Barrel Blaster setup if doing it again.
- Large air compressor to power the blast gun and assorted air tools. I only have 120V in my garage, so I bought the largest 110v compressor I could find (Husky 26 Gallon). It gives 5.8 CFM at 90PSI, which I have found to be pretty inadequate for any of the really useful air tools (cut-off, DA sander, etc) and of course blasting. It is OK for a small die grinder / drill / scraper, etc, but waiting for it to get back up to pressure is really annoying, and I would imagine it would be unbearable for restoring an even larger vehicle. I have since bought a 220V Ingersol-Rand 60gallon compressor rated at 12CFM@90psi, and another 60 gallon tank to prepare for all of the blasting I plan on doing soon (compressor was $225, and second tank ran me $100, both used). To get around the 120V vs 240V wiring issue, I plan on buying a 2x120V to 240V converter.
- Home powder coating setup. I plan on powder coating the entire bike, which is still probably less sq ft than what I would recommend powder coating on your 914. I bought the gun and powder from Eastwood, and just use a cardboard and duct tape shroud for overspray / easy media recycling. Find a used oven and you would be all set. I just picked up an industrial InfraRed curing setup (for $200) and will see how that works.
- 4 1/2" angle grinder. Buy a nice one to use for your grinding wheels, which you may be using a lot, and an el cheapo for the cutting disks. Not having to swap out the grinding wheel and cutting disks all the time is a huge time saver.
- Bench Buffer. I have been buffing and polishing all of the metal components, then giving them a high gloss powder coat and have been really happy with the results, but may be non-essential for you.

This Site, as well as 914world.com has been a huge help for me in deciding to do almost everything myself, and to see how straightforward some things can be (powder coating, plating, painting). Doing it this way can be time-consuming, but hugely rewarding - and a little lighter on the pocketbook. biggrin.gif

Good luck on your 914!

- Michael
Joe Ricard
BIG FAT CHECK BOOK
bondo
QUOTE (michael_oberg @ Feb 8 2006, 09:44 AM)

This Site,

Damn you... Now you've got me looking into home electroplating.. Grr! wink.gif
riverman
Besides what has already been mentioned, the most useful tool I have found so far to remove crap when you take the car apart is a good grinder and one of these (see pic). It's a twisted wire brush cup. It will take anything off (paint, rust, undercoating, sealers, you name it).
highways
1. Complete set of Sprockets
2. Dual use Shimy Shams
3. GPS Tool Tracker
4. Ebay 914-6 exclusive 'below market retail price part locating software' running Enigma 2.2
5. Babbelsquisher part translator
6. CAD threaded bolt simulator for diagramming the most intimant details of nut/screw assembly
7. Fresh supply of Watermellons and used home appliances (tv, radio, ect.) and one sledge hammer for aggressive anger management diversion/914-6 protection in times of mental crisis
8. Crisis hotline wired to your garage for immediate access to 914 club
9. Twisted Goat Hair Brush
10. Mechanics WhatchaMeFixThisWaitOhShiteIThinkIBrokeIt Wide Angle Webcam so we can all laugh with you, not at.
11. Boogaloo Plugs and Stoppers
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.