Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
how can you tell the differance between Hydro lifters and solid? Anyone got comparison pics?
Mark Henry
If you have them out take an old pushrod and press down in the cup. The guts of a hydro will move.

Also they have a circlip inside them...but so do some aftermarket solids.
914ghost

You'll know a solid lifter because it'll be all chewed to shit on one end. Unless you buy from Jake.
Which I only reccomend if you only like to put an engine together once, I like doing it several times because obviously I have nothing better to do.
And god hates me.

user posted image confused24.gif
Tom Perso
Don't worry, God hates me too...

user posted image

Tom
914werke
ohmy.gif Wow.
Thas ugly.
I ask cuz I tore down a supposedly hydro engine but it appears to have mixed parts IE new hyd WEB cam and steel one piece PR's but the lifters appear to be solids ?
Mark Henry
That's why I snaged a spare set of ceramics last time I was down at Charles. Got them just before the prices went balistic.
smile.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2006, 08:51 AM)
That's why I snaged a spare set of ceramics last time I was down at Charles. Got them just before the prices went balistic.
smile.gif

The ceramics were not exactly cheap to start with. How high is ballistic? idea.gif
Mark Henry
$600.
Tom Perso
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Feb 8 2006, 11:48 AM)
ohmy.gif Wow.
Thas ugly.
I ask cuz I tore down a supposedly hydro engine but it appears to have mixed parts IE new hyd WEB cam and steel one piece PR's but the lifters appear to be solids ?

Did they look like this (on the left, SCAT ones)?

user posted image

user posted image

Those are SCAT high performance lifters. My Webcam 163/86b ate thru those in less than an hour.

Get lifters from Jake - he at least knows what works and what doesnt. Those SCAT lifters may work OK for light spring pressure and near stock cams. But, if you've got some dual heavyweight springs, steer clear.

Tom

smac
Here's my contribution to this very disturbing thread.
smac
another!
Type 4 Unleashed
Scat, has lube-a-lobes, for type lV's now, actually there's a hole from the Rockwell testing, that doubles as a lobe luber. happy11.gif Also, on the side of the lifter, where the side oiler is, a wider area was machined to allow puddeling of oil to better oil the lifter bore.

They go for around $80 buckaroos

And yes I'am gonna buy a set.

And I've had my share of flat cams w00t.gif
Twystd1
Uhhh...

smac... I have a question for you.

How long did that engine run with bad lifters???

I was wondring how the hell it ran long enough for that much damage to occur.. Just interested for no good earthly reason...

I haven't seen anything like that since I had a tour of one of stromberg.gif engines... Man.. thats pitiful.

Buy the engine from GEX?

Or did Slits hand ya the wrong oil can during a lube change? ohmy.gif

Twystd1
Tom Perso
Are the cam bearings down to the bronze?

icon8.gif barf.gif

I bet that was one noisy motor towards the end... blink.gif

Tom
Mark Henry
QUOTE (V6914 @ Feb 9 2006, 05:42 AM)
Scat, has lube-a-lobes, for  type lV's now, actually there's a hole from the Rockwell testing, that doubles as a lobe luber.   happy11.gif   Also, on the side of the lifter, where the side oiler is, a wider area was machined to allow puddeling of oil to better oil the lifter bore.

They go for around $80 buckaroos

And yes I'am gonna buy a set.

And I've had my share of flat cams w00t.gif

Scat lube-a-lobes are a big pile of steaming dog stromberg.gif

I've had in the past year and a half 3 (customer built) engines that have these POS take a dump...2 of them on Scat cams!

Hey...maybe I souldn't complain...keeps me in jobs.

Look "Scat" up in the dictionary, very accurate description.
914werke
Thanks Mark and they look like the middle lifter (WEB?)
And I already scored some Ceramics but Im tryin to positivly ID these lifters.
Mark Henry
Right now the only things working for me is a matched set of cam and lifters from Jake. On low budget I've got away with a good used cam (hard to find) with stock (brazil) lifters and of course ceramics.
Jake Raby
I am working to drop the price of my lifters..... Maybe to 110 bucks a set from 180.00!
I'm testing another service from a different source for my Ion Nitriding...
rhodyguy
have things calmed down for you jake?

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.