Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: forced induction question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ModPR3
i have a question that many of you will probably hate me for but im curious of what you have to say. im questioning about a nitrous oxide system on a 914. before you all just label me as the street racer that has scene that stupid movie fast and the furious too many times, please hear me out because im not. first of all i dont agree with street racing, second i know alot about nitrous oxide not just the word NOS and a button on the steering wheel, but my knowledge ends with water cooled engines not air-cooled. nitrous can be a very safe and smart power adder if used properly. first of all i bought my 914 for its handling characteristics not as a drag car so dont get me wrong, but i think i could have some fun with it at the drag track on a occasional weekend. my question is can a built motor and nitrous system be run on a 914 with respect to two things. 1. exhaust system. 2. transaxle strength. as for the first question. can nitrous be run on a built motor with the tangerine headers with heat exchangers without cracking the header and leaking deadly carbon dioxide into the heating system and cabin. as known nitrous heats things up very quickly and for a short period of time during its activation and creates alot of extra exhaust gasses. so i was wondering how it worked on air-cooled engines and there headers. i plan on running between a 50-75 hp shot of nitrous but im not willing to risk it if it could crack the header and leak into heat exchanger and the heating system. as for the second question. if im running an engine that puts out around 160 hp without nitrous oxide will the transaxle be able to take the sudden jolt of 50-75 hp or will this just break things. thanks for the help again.
Mueller
yes the transmission can take it...stock transmissions are used with V8 motors all the time and create way more torque than a NO2 /4 would ever put out...

NO2 won't affect the header or even the stock heatexchangers one bit.....

the biggest problem with NO2 is that it is not allowed in any auto-x or track event (besides qtr mile)

people have run it on 914s before, no big deal, just limited in it;s use (street or qtr mile track)

ModPR3
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 8 2006, 12:34 AM)
yes the transmission can take it...stock transmissions are used with V8 motors all the time and create way more torque than a NO2 /4 would ever put out...

NO2 won't affect the header or even the stock heatexchangers one bit.....

the biggest problem with NO2 is that it is not allowed in any auto-x or track event (besides qtr mile)

people have run it on 914s before, no big deal, just limited in it;s use (street or qtr mile track)

that great news and as far as auto x we are thinking on the same page. auto x is more important to me than drag racing so if this idea wont work i will scratch the whole nitrous idea. im going to ask this same question to SCCA and PCA but i thought i would run its past you guys first. what if i disconnect the bottle, remove it from the car and disconnect the lines from the nitrous solienoids to the intake manifold if they will still let me run auto x as long as they know i cant engage the nitrous system.
Andyrew
I never thought NOS would be a good idea for an aircooled engine..

Im sure Jake has done it before (mention his name so he would comment.. sorry jake biggrin.gif )

that said, you'll need some good money to make 160 n/a

I would run a Turbo before I ran Nos.

I strongly suggest turbo's.
ModPR3
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 8 2006, 12:41 AM)

Im sure Jake has done it before (mention his name so he would comment.. sorry jake biggrin.gif )

i would run a turbo first too if i could but thats even more expensive than a built engine with nitrous. nitrous system should only cost around a $1000 with all the bells and wistles including, wot switch, rpm window switch, bottle heater, blow down tube, ect...
Mueller
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 8 2006, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 8 2006, 12:41 AM)

Im sure Jake has done it before (mention his name so he would comment.. sorry jake  :D )

i would run a turbo first too if i could but thats even more expensive than a built engine with nitrous. nitrous system should only cost around a $1000 with all the bells and wistles including, wot switch, rpm window switch, bottle heater, blow down tube, ect...

a turbo can be done for less than $1000 smash.gif welder.gif
Andyrew
Yup, if you can weld.. you can have a turbo..

couple guys have done em for under 300 bucks (seriously)
Joe Ricard
I might be wrong here but Really how fast do you want to go?
maybe you need a ride in the Red Neck Racer. or one of the cars with real power like JP's and others who can literally keep your head pasted aginst the head rest till you pass out screaming like a little girl. I know there is a certain V-8 car that did just that in an Autocross.

Man where did that link go?
ModPR3
turbo for less 1k im very interested in this. i would rather turbo than use nitrous, i was just under the impression that you lost your heating system with a turbo, it was very expensive and un reliable. can you have a turbo and a heater in a 914. i know the 930 pulled it off. i dont want to ask you guys a bunch of questions that have already been asked and answered so im going to do some searches on here and google but if there are any 914 turbo links or info you can give me that would be great.

Just so you all know i have no welding skills so i would have to have someone do the fabrication for me but if could turbo my current engine now for even under 3k that would be great. i would then plan to build a motor just for turbo purposes and i would probably be able to spend around 5k for that including all fuel systems. my origional plan was to to a 3.0 914-6 conversion and i was looking at over 10k for that so getting away with a turbo 914 for 8k would be even better.

SirAndy
forced induction

anyone ever tried to add a kompressor/super-charger to a TIV ???
idea.gif Andy
ModPR3
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 8 2006, 04:06 PM)
forced induction

idea.gif Andy

thats a great question. a supercharger would solve my heater problem since i could still use Tangerine headers with heat exchangers. i wonder how hard a centrifugal setup would be. you could run that like a turbo setup and just have to figure out where to mounth the unit and get a belt the right size. i would run a blow through system running carbs in compression boxes that would push the air through them instead of a draw through systems that requires drawing fuel through the carbs then supercharger. either this or spend the extra bucks and go with fuel injection.
ModPR3
i dont think theres enough room though between the main pulley and firewall to add another pulley to drive the supercharger regardles of wether it was a cetrifugal or roots based.
Mueller
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 8 2006, 04:42 PM)
turbo for less 1k im very interested in this. i would rather turbo than use nitrous, i was just under the impression that you lost your heating system with a turbo, it was very expensive and un reliable. can you have a turbo and a heater in a 914. i know the 930 pulled it off. i dont want to ask you guys a bunch of questions that have already been asked and answered so im going to do some searches on here and google but if there are any 914 turbo links or info you can give me that would be great.

Just so you all know i have no welding skills so i would have to have someone do the fabrication for me but if could turbo my current engine now for even under 3k that would be great. i would then plan to build a motor just for turbo purposes and i would probably be able to spend around 5k for that including all fuel systems. my origional plan was to to a 3.0 914-6 conversion and i was looking at over 10k for that so getting away with a turbo 914 for 8k would be even better.

do a search for "turbo" here, quite a few threads and one not too long ago showing pictures from a kit that a member used to sell years ago....

currently no new kits*, everything would have to be fabbed on way or another........there are a few CIS injected turbo 914's (4's and 6's) , a few d-jet based cars and a few aftermarket fuel injected cars as well

mueller's turbo thread...(not much progress in the last few months)

*Jake is comming out with kit and for 8K, that might get you everything needed including the engine...not too sure, he is a few months away from releasing it to the public from what I understand....

Andy, a company called RPM(?) installed a supercharger on a 1.8 years ago, no idea if they made a kit, only saw the article in VW & Porsche mag.
SirAndy
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 8 2006, 04:31 PM)
i dont think theres enough room though between the main pulley and firewall to add another pulley to drive the supercharger

plenty of space ....
Mueller
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 8 2006, 05:29 PM)
forced induction

idea.gif Andy

thats a great question. a supercharger would solve my heater problem since i could still use Tangerine headers with heat exchangers. i wonder how hard a centrifugal setup would be. you could run that like a turbo setup and just have to figure out where to mounth the unit and get a belt the right size. i would run a blow through system running carbs in compression boxes that would push the air through them instead of a draw through systems that requires drawing fuel through the carbs then supercharger. either this or spend the extra bucks and go with fuel injection.

carbs suck....in this modern day and age, no reason to use them smile.gif

check out msefi.com

it's a dirt cheap DIY fuel/ignition system........

a positive displacement supercharger is a better choice than a cent. type for our small motors
ModPR3
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 8 2006, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (ModPR3 @ Feb 8 2006, 05:29 PM)
forced induction

idea.gif Andy

carbs suck....in this modern day and age, no reason to use them smile.gif

check out msefi.com

it's a dirt cheap DIY fuel/ignition system........

a positive displacement supercharger is a better choice than a cent. type for our small motors

i agree with both fuel injection is better and so would a blower over a centrifugal but how would you fabricate a base strong enough to mount the charger and port to the intake manifold, that may take some serious engineering, but i could be wrong.
Dr. Roger
i always liked the paxton supercharger. belt driven and compact. direct engine oiling.

here's one for a 4/6 cylinder engine.... HERE.

roger
Dr. Roger
or for 1/3 of the price....

HERE at our friends at craigslist.
Andyrew
turbo...

Its really much simpler than a blower...

And it feels All the more sporty than a blower (god I love driveing the 944 t's)

Andrew
r_towle
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Feb 8 2006, 09:22 PM)
i always liked the paxton supercharger. belt driven and compact. direct engine oiling.

here's one for a 4/6 cylinder engine.... HERE.

roger

Oh great...now I have something else to think about for the next few months...

Wonderful another item I want but cant have....

Rich
Dr. Roger
turbo spooling or blower whining...

to be or not to be?

purple or aubergine?

pink or muave?

shit or shinola?

Heidi Klum or Maria Sharapova ?
shocked[1].gif

To each his or her own! Now let's eat cake!
914rrr
I posted some pics of the supercharged 914 in the VW & Posrche mag awhile ago. You can probably search the forum to find it. Turns out that the guy who built / help build the supercharged 914 is the son of the realtor I'm buying my house in Tennessee from. His name is Jay Richardson. I think his name is in article. His dad Maurice is this Walter Mitty looking older guy who owns this monster 600 HP twin turbo 930 that Jay built for one of his well heeled customers and grew tired of.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.