Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
i had an idea after reading the excellence article about the orange 914, that car didnt have a rear window, and i thought it might be cool to have a removable rear window...has anyone done this before?

the only problem i can think of is that you would get alot of wind in the cabin through the rear probably....

any thoughts?
lotus_65
sure, adapt the mechanism from a del sol.
spare time toys
Pre 73 Vettes had them. It was nice to tool around with it out driving.gif . Only problem I can think of is fumes from the engine coming in. confused24.gif
bd1308
not a good idea IMHO.

If you thought a type4 was noisy now...take the rear window out and see just how ear-splitting loud it is.

but if you do it, take lots of pics.

b
i love porsche
see thats the thing..i want it to be noisy and harsh..its only a fun weekend car and not even driving yet...but i thought it would be cool...

ok..so imgonna go with it, ill let you guys know how it comes together
bd1308
You're from Jersey? I have family there.

smile.gif

gotta love those "have to make a right turn to make a left turn" things...

b
URY914
I ran my car on the track w/o a rear window and you get alot of heat coming in.
It's not too bad when driving but when you stop it all dumps in on you.
lotus_65
if ya had the power regulator setup from the del sol, you could close it up in traffic.

i'm down with that. cool_shades.gif
i love porsche
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 8 2006, 06:43 AM)
I ran my car on the track w/o a rear window and you get alot of heat coming in.
It's not too bad when driving but when you stop it all dumps in on you.

that might be nice...cause i wont have a heater lol
Dave_Darling
Drove my car with no rear window. I tried to drive it to work. Got three blocks from home, said "f*ck this!" and went back and parked it. Waaaaaaay too loud.

I don't think there's enough room to fit a sliding rear window, a la Del Sol. The firewall has that large bump in the middle for the cooling air to get to the fan, after all, and glass doesn't really like to bend. Maybe a section that slides off to the side, like in some pickup trucks.

--DD
i love porsche
im thinking of doing a totally removable, not sliding, much more simple

a track on the underside of the targa bar that the window top fits in, and 2 or 3 clips on the bottom to clip it in and lock..simple and lightweight

its gonna be loud no matter what, no insulation or backpad, and a lexan rear window...might as well make it removable
Mueller
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Feb 8 2006, 09:01 AM)
im thinking of doing a totally removable, not sliding, much more simple

a track on the underside of the targa bar that the window top fits in, and 2 or 3 clips on the bottom to clip it in and lock..simple and lightweight

its gonna be loud no matter what, no insulation or backpad, and a lexan rear window...might as well make it removable

borderline stupid idea smile.gif

like Dave said, way to f'n loud, not a cool loud, just crazy loud....

second, the corvette has a motor up front, the del sol has a motor up front...the 914 has a motor inches away from your backside and head....

if you have an engine fire, you'll want the few seconds or even minutes the window might allow for you to safely get out of the car before turning you into a flaming marshmellow wacko.gif screwy.gif
URY914
Make one out of plexy glass and have it have a little sliding window like the 917's.

Remember Steve McQueen reaching back and closing it just before the start of the race.

Brian Mifsud
biggrin.gif 914's ALREADY have removable rear windows!!!

Hit a bump hard enough, and your 30 year old glass adhesive will fail.. ask me how I know.... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

One of the FEW inexpensive and quick repairs... most any part house sell the 3M window adhesive in a big roll.. just clean up the frame and glass, lay it in there and apply some pressure for awhile to the window.... good as new...

I believe ALL the flexing in the chassis led to the adhesive failure.. and my car has no rust problems...
Michael N
Just think if the rear window was removed then you you could get the benefit of installing wind screen, the heat from the engine, and the added sound. idea.gif

neo914-6
I have the Del Sol regulator and have the room at the bulkhead (Audi engine allows this) and no stock engine noise, except for the turbos which will be a nice sound. Besides, I will likely cover the vents as I don't need them.

My only consideration is removing the small corner sheetmetal panels on either side of the engine lid. Anyone know if these are structural gussets? confused24.gif
Jenny
Was just talking about this with a co-worker. My back glass always gets REALLY dirty. Like, wipe it with a towel every month or so, and get black grime. We came to the conclusion it must be from the engine and oil fumes. Seems like more would come in if you didn't have a back glass.

And yes, it is Freaking Loud without the back glass. It sounds all wild and rebel-like in theory. "I wanna hear my car when I drive." Cool. Me too. But when it's so loud that you can't hear other cars honking, and screaming over your engine noise or ASL are the only forms of communication you can have while driving, it gets a bit taxing. You wanna hear your engine? Remove the pads on both sides of the firewall. I guarantee you it'll make your teeth rattle. biggrin.gif

YMMV, obviously. rolleyes.gif

Jen
szuccaro
How bout a removeable top? Did this mod to my prior 914 - nice effect.. but yes, very windy (and noisy).
lotus_65
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Feb 8 2006, 02:25 PM)
I have the Del Sol regulator and have the room at the bulkhead (Audi engine allows this) and no stock engine noise, except for the turbos which will be a nice sound.  Besides, I will likely cover the vents as I don't need them.

My only consideration is removing the small corner sheetmetal panels on either side of the engine lid.  Anyone know if these are structural gussets?  :confused:

those can't be weight-bearing gussets, but you'd have to modify the engine lid some too. i thought about a "second" firewall that hides the window/regulator set-up and houses the guides. then re-mount the lid mounts on the second firewall.
you could weld a frame right in the bulkhead and cover it with something sharp looking. the sound pad can stay, even double up on the new wall... i think it works.
Aaron Cox
honestly, bad idea sad.gif

man... you think your car is loud?
i think ive got you beat.....

no sound deadening...anywhere. euroraceheader weber carbs (induction noise). solid trans mounts (you feel each gear engage tongue.gif) etc...

now amplify 10x that. thats what it sounds like with a LOOSE rear window. imagine no window at all.

also... what if you have a fire.... i hope you like being bald.....
zymurgist
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Feb 8 2006, 09:26 AM)
Pre 73 Vettes had them. It was nice to tool around with it out driving.gif . Only problem I can think of is fumes from the engine coming in. confused24.gif

My '77 Corvette converted itself from a fixed rear window model to a removable rear window model on the way to the 2005 ECC. It's a lot noisier now, and I can't drive it in the winter (at least until I find the parts to install a proper removable window frams, somewhere in the garage).
dmenche914
uhm enough 914 's out there with loose rear window glass that someone ought to be able to walk outside, pop theirs out, and give it a test spin. hows the wind and noise????
SoCal Driver
A few years ago my father and I were rebuilding a 71 and were tearing it apart and preping it for paint. We pulled the window out for paint and to have it tinted..... we decided to leave it out for a bit after the car was painted and OMG was it loud. Now I've grown up around sports / race cars since i was 7. My father works on a local navy base and i've been going to air shows all my life.... plus I go to concerts atleast once every month for years now, I know what loud is, and a 914 without a rear window at WOT is loud. driving down the road with the top on and the rear window out just sucked all the fumes from the motor and pulled them into the cabin, didnt last long at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.