Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sideshifter conversion problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey13
I finished converting my 72 1.7L tailshifter to a sideshifter out of a 73 2.0 now i'm having some weird issues, I converted everything from the tranny right to the gear shift knob. everything has been changed over. now here is my problem. i've got a very loud squeek when shifting into 1st or into reverse. it is also present in the 4-5 shift but not loud at all.

I'm also having problems with gear selection, i've adjusted the rod and set up everything but i'm wondering if i miss something during the conversion that would give me a poor gear selection and generate that kind of noise.

any response of things that i can try to do would be greatly appreciated
thank you,

-Mike
JoeSharp
I have that too. In 2 cars, I think its the piviot in the lever.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Joe Ricard
oh OH I know this one.
DAPO left the early engine mount bar in the car. Shift rod was rubbing on it in 1st / reverse. SQUEAK!!!!!
Promptly changed out to late engine mount all better.

also had an interferance with a long sealt belt securing bolt in the tunnel. or the bolt that holds the heater selector in was the wrong one.

DAPO spank.gif
mikey13
I changed out the engine mount to the 73 style bar with the hole through the center and i changed the rear firewall bushing to the conversion one. I've also been testing the car with the heater lever pulled out and to the side and i don't think there is any interference with the seatbelt bolt.

is there any other explination for the squeek is there also a guide plate in the center tunnel that is found on the 73 and later cars? or is that just for the early cars with the tail shifter transmission?

is there anything i could be doing wrong with the alignment of the shift rod that would cause it to have a funny gate? or is that just the way it is where the pattern is tight and the shift from first to second has to be thought about? i aligned the rod using the method described in the haynes manual.
Joe Ricard
Aligning the rod is a VERY persnickety thing. the splines are so fine that the sweet spot is hard to get. I find it difficult to move just one spline at a time to dial it in.
But once you do it is pretty much a preference thing. I moved one spline at a time till I was just coming off the lock out to go straight to 2nd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.