Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
I have a '72 with a stock 1.7 and don't do any racing. I want to rebuild the suspension and need some advice on what shocks/struts I should use. I see lots of discussion about different weight rear springs but I really just need info for a good firm driver. driving.gif

I don't have front sway bars and figure that I should also install them while I'm at it.

There was a good post a week ago about tie rods and all but most of the shock posts are racer related.

Help & Thanks
anthony
Bilstein HDs.
tat2dphreak
agree.gif

Bils are great value, IMO, if you find a good deal on Konis, you could go that way too though...

KYBs will work if you budget is shot, but the ride is a little harsh
Eric_Shea
I love Koni's on full soft for exactly what you're describing.
maf914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 8 2006, 08:17 AM)
I love Koni's on full soft for exactly what you're describing.

agree.gif

Koni's with stock T-bars and rear springs (or 100 lb rears like I have) give a very good controlled ride. Add sway bars and it's probably all you need for the street.
brp914
1. how do koni and bil's compare, both in terms of street and track?

2. any difference between bil struts vs boge struts with bil inserts (again, street and track)?
Michael J
So my A arms have sway bar tabs. Was that standard to just put tabs on all the front ends? I have to find a car close by with sway bars to take some pics of. Whats the stock bar diameter?

Also how do you tell the weight of the rear springs.

I suppose that if I just start taking things apart I'll better understand how it all fits together. I really hate doing something for the first time. But then it will be alot easier the next time.
Jaiden
I've been doing research for a while on my front end and if you want a NICE driver do this:

Replace the bushings
Replace the ball joints
Get turbo tierods
Install through body sway bar (stock is fine)
Get new struts Boge or bilsteins
Get an alignment

Your car will ride like new! smilie_pokal.gif

Check my blog I have tons of pics of the tear down!
Michael J
Jaiden,
Thanks for the list and the pictures in your blog. Keep them coming as you start putting things back together.
Have you found a source for stock sway bars? Or are you going to try to find used ones?
Mueller
QUOTE (Michael J @ Feb 8 2006, 11:32 PM)
So my A arms have sway bar tabs.  Was that standard to just put tabs on all the front ends?  I have to find a car close by with sway bars to take some pics of.  Whats the stock bar diameter?

yes, many cars have the tabs, but no bar....stock bar is 15mm(?)...a bar of any diameter is better than none at all

Also how do you tell the weight of the rear springs.

yes, many cars have the tabs, but no bar....stock bar is 15mm(?)...a bar of any diameter is better than none at all

I suppose that if I just start taking things apart I'll better understand how it all fits together.  I really hate doing something for the first time.  But then it will be alot easier the next time.

we are here to help smile.gif a haynes manual is nice to have, as is the PET CD (do search, talked about a few days ago)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.