Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
I volunteered a month ago to start a paint thread on a car I'm doing, well that idea was OBE! I will still do it, but it may be after the fact. Here are a couple of teaser pics, before and after.
1bad914
After! I still have more work to do.
1bad914
nother
1bad914
Money shot. It took me three and 1/2 weeks from delivery to this point.
balljoint
Hey Nice paint. But I think someone sold you the wrong body panels for your 914. smile.gif
1bad914
I kind of thought something was fishy about those panels, it looks so different then the cars I see on this site! wacko.gif

I proposed doing this with a beeho instead of a 14, mainly because my 14 is done already. It really should be titled, "How to paint a car in your two car garage and only piss your wife and neighbors off a little" biggrin.gif

We need a spray gun smiley!
1bad914
I finally started the paint thread/book! biggrin.gif So far I'm up to page 6 of a word document describing how I do a prep and paint. I'm only at laying down primer, man this thing has taken on a life of it's own. I may actually add pictures to the word doc and send it out that way. This is kind of fun.
proto31
I'd be very interested in reading it. Do you think you'll be done in a month or so? I'm going to be doing some painting...

mueba.gif
redshift
I have never had a word doc with pics display the pics.

smile.gif

UHOH!

Great looking work, by the way.

M
mcbain77
create a .pdf if you can - that way you can distribute this all over the web and become a LEGEND!!!!!!

Guy #1: "Hey, did you read that paint FAQ on the 914 forum?"

Guy #2: "Yeah - That guy is amazing and his tips and tricks saved me months of work!"

Think about it . . .

idea.gif
914-8
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Feb 8 2006, 11:35 AM)
It really should be titled, "How to paint a car in your two car garage and only piss your wife and neighbors off a little" biggrin.gif

We need a spray gun smiley!

I'm doing that exact same thing right now.

Paint and body is hard enough without having to be "stealthy" with regard to neighbors and wife!

I painted my last 914 completely all at once in the late 90s. That was a lot of concentrated noise, mess, etc. Was pretty hectic. (Came out nice, though! It is the red 914 featured in the Buyers Guide in European Car Jan. 2000).

This time, I'm doing it bit by bit, keeping the car on the road. Doing a panel here and there when I can sneak it in.

I'm using DuPont ChromaOne, spraying out of a regular (non-HLVP) gun.
SLKWrx
Ok, a document like that would be like the grail for me right now. I am a first time painter that is starting from scratch. I bought a "how to paint" book, but I'm still having issues with the specifics. I can't wait to see what you come up with. So far, I'm at the point of learning how to use my DA to sand to a perfect smoothness. Next is going to learn how to skin body filler on and prime. So many things to learn, so little warm weather.

Please let me know when you are done, or if you want to bounce your pages against a complete novice, let me know.
1bad914
As far as a word doc with pics, I use screen prints and paste them in without any problems. I was thinking about the PDF format as I was driving home just now.

I hope to have it done in a few days. It will be rough around the edges, but will hopefully open the door for someont that is on the edge about doing a paint job at home. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.