Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some open diff measurements ASAP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I've been searching this board and others boards for a week now and I've yet to come up with a solid answer. I'm attempting to try a Phantom Grip limited slip unit in my 901. They only list them for the 915 on their web site.

Ok, one more time on this thing, Does anyone know if the 901 and 915 OPEN diff use the same carrier?

Q. 1) Can some check part numbers?

Q. 2) Does anyone have both units apart in there shop?

This is what I'm looking for.

Q. 3) I need to know if the space between the spyder gears is the same.

Q. 4) And if the spyder shaft is the same diameter.

If the shaft is the same diameter, and the spacing between the gears is the same, the carrier won't matter.

I'm attempting to save the cost of setting up a different (915) carrier in my case.

A side by side comparision would be the best.

Bondo (Royce) has a 901 apart and is willing to get the measurements.

So anyone have a 915 they can measure?

McMark
Call WeVo (Windrush Evolution). Hayden should be able to rattle off those specs.
Ferg
Ditto with carquip 303-443-1343 tell them I told you to call. wink.gif

Ferg
rick 918-S
I'm in a tele-conference, so I can't call.
Ferg
Just got off the phone with Matt at carquip, he says the only year 915 that has the same carrier size as a 901 was the first year 1972 he thought. hope that helps

Ferg. beer.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Ferg @ Feb 8 2006, 11:51 AM)
Just got off the phone with Matt at carquip, he says the only year 915 that has the same carrier size as a 901 was the first year 1972 he thought. hope that helps

Ferg. beer.gif

That's a small help in the right direction, but

If the shaft is the same diameter, and the spacing between the gears is the same, the carrier won't matter.

I'm attempting to save the cost of setting up a different (915) carrier in my case.

A side by side comparision would be the best.

Bondo (Royce) has a 901 apart and is willing to get the measurements.

So anyone have a 915 they can measure?

anyone? confused24.gif
bondo
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 8 2006, 12:28 PM)
Call WeVo (Windrush Evolution). Hayden should be able to rattle off those specs.

Hehe, I never knew Wevo was short for something else.. ya learn something new every day!
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
r_towle
Check with Zois aka "*"

I think his 911 tranny is all apart right now...

Rich
rick 918-S
Called WEVO... checked part numbers, all different, but too busy to go out and look or measure the two today.

Maybe "*" will check in after work.

Called John (Otto's) didn't think they were the same at all.

This is discouraging.

I may buy one and figure out how they work and make one. Not like I haven't had to make my own parts before... idea.gif assimilate.gif happy11.gif
r_towle
Call bradhole at Mind over motorsports in San diego...

I cant find the web site...but he will still be there, and I am sure he would measure it up for you...

Rich
Aaron Cox
someone PM KenH.

everytime someone asks about a 901 LSD, he mentions exactly how a 915 unit fits.....

search or PM are your weapons
rick 918-S
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 8 2006, 02:25 PM)
Call bradhole at Mind over motorsports in San diego...

I cant find the web site...but he will still be there, and I am sure he would measure it up for you...

Rich

I was going to call him. I have the link book marked. Do you think he would mind? I know he busy...
r_towle
he wont mind at all...he is a car guy who loves your car...

tell him HI from all of us...

www.914world.com (in case he forgot)

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 8 2006, 02:30 PM)
he wont mind at all...he is a car guy who loves your car...

tell him HI from all of us...

www.914world.com (in case he forgot)

Rich

I called him,

To make a long story short, all the parts inside the carrier are the same!

"B" is and always will be the MAN!

He didn't have a 901 and 915 in the shop to compare, but he looked up the part numbers and took the time to explain that when Porsche makes a change in part of an assembly and retain the other pieces like spyder gears, shafts, lock bolts, etc. they change the first 3 numbers in the part number. ( I think that's what he was saying...)

Anywho... based on his explanation, I'm going to order it.

I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks everyone for playing! clap56.gif
degreeoff
You gotta let us know how that works out...would be sweet if it does
Andyrew
popcorn[1].gif
TravisNeff
The price is great on the limited slip ($350.00), please do a pictorial when you install it! I understand the clutch type limited slip, but is that the type that click, click, click, click like a locker does?
rick 918-S
As I understand the two blocks are spring loaded and apply pressure on the spyder gears causing a limited slip effect. Like a clutch pack in reverse. Increased traction in a straight line and during cornering.

I have Brad Mayeur doing the install. I think he'll be a go-to guy for these in the future.

Here's my thought on these. If they work as stated, they are a incredible value. From the information on their web site it appears to be a simple install.

Considering the cost of the Quaife, plus installation labor to set up the R&P! Don't get me wrong, I think there is a place for Quaife. But for the daily driver and occasional weekend AX car, I'm not convinced I need to incure that cost.

Up here in the land of 4 seasons ( only 1- 1/2 we can drive in!) it needs to make sense.
bondo
Ok, it sounds like you don't need this anymore, but here's what I've got.

Part number: 914 332 212 00

Spider gear shaft: 18mm diameter

Distance between the spider gears: 45 mm (this measurement may be off a tiny but as I couldn't get the correct inside measurement bits of the digital calipers between them, so I had to use the outside measurement bits and line it up by eye)

rick 918-S
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 8 2006, 09:56 PM)
Ok, it sounds like you don't need this anymore, but here's what I've got.

Part number: 914 332 212 00

Spider gear shaft: 18mm diameter

Distance between the spider gears: 45 mm (this measurement may be off a tiny but as I couldn't get the correct inside measurement bits of the digital calipers between them, so I had to use the outside measurement bits and line it up by eye)

Thanks for doing that! clap56.gif against my better judgement I called Brad at work. He was very gracious and helpful.

I think were onto something here. We shall see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.