Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injector plug boots?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I'm building a wiring harness for a CIS 6 conversion customer, and one of the rubber boots is trash. It's the same boot as the one that goes over the electrical plug on the 914-4 fuel injectors. Anyone know of a suitable replacement? TIA!
dmenche914
Late model VW buses had the same plug cover, the latest vanagons had a slightly different cover (but same sized plug) I have in the past salvaged good boots of VW's. You might also try WestCoastMetric, they stock all sorts of VW rubber parts, and I recall they do have some of the engine boots, maybe one will fit.

good luck
JeffBowlsby
Post a photo Perry, lets see what you need.
yarin
I'm looking for injector boots as well.

I just ordered these from Summit for stock 2.0 injectors.

user posted image
MSD-2400.

I might go with double shrink tube and some epoxy in the gap. Not sure yet.
yarin
Actually I just found these on Newark's ebay outlet.

user posted image

I'll let u know how they work out. I bought 50, so i can certainly spare a couple. smile.gif

Minimum Shrink Temp 135°C
Continuous Operating Temp -55°C to +110°C
Shrink Ratio 3:1
Size 3/8"
Expanded Inside Diameter 0.375"
Recovered Inside Diameter* 0.18"
Nominal Length 1.25"
lapuwali
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 8 2006, 03:56 PM)
I'm looking for injector boots as well.

I just ordered these from Summit for stock 2.0 injectors.

user posted image
MSD-2400.

I might go with double shrink tube and some epoxy in the gap. Not sure yet.

You shouldn't need injector boots with those connectors (which are std. L-Jet connectors, btw). If you take a look under the hoods of most OEM cars, you'll see just those connectors, no boots. My L-Jet Alfa, VW Golf, and my Miata were that way, for example. The stock D-Jet connectors don't "wrap around" the injector connector like those do, so they need something.

yarin
I have no rain tray so just in case i get a little water in there I want to make sure everything is sealed from above. smile.gif
lapuwali
Even w/o a rain tray the only way you're going to get water in there with those connectors is if you pretend you're a U-boat commander...
914rrr
The U-Boat thing almost happened to me last week. It rained like 12" in a matter of hours. There was almost 2' of water in the parking lot at work where I normally park my teener. I just happened to park in a different place that day. WHEW! I was really worried that it wouldn't start, as I don't have a rain tray installed, one of my injector boots is missing, and 2 others are pretty well shot. To my suprise, it started right up! Interior was soaked tho'.

I saw the injector boots in a catalog from "Mark's Bug Barn". They were listed for type 3 VW's. If he has them, I'm sure one of the big boys like West Coast Metric probably has them as well. To properly install the boot, you have to remove the plastic connector housing from the crimped terminals. The tricky part is getting the crimped terminals out of the plastic housing. The terminals are 'barbed' so that they go in one way without coming out the other way. Like a single metal tab sticking out. I've done it before, but it's been awhile. I think you can insert a really skinny jewelers screwdriver in the non-wire end to push the tab down to extract the crimped terminals. You might try practicing on a bigger 'junk' connector to get the hang of it.

I used to have a problem with an intermittent 'miss'. I wiggled the injector electrical connectors and discovered where the miss was coming from, the one that was missing the boot. I tightened up all of the terminals by gently squeezing the flat part of the terminal so that they grip the corresponding terminals on the injector tighter.
agrump
West coast metrics does have the d-jet boots under type 3 engine rubber section, $12 for 4.

What do you have to do to get l-jet connectors to fit d-jet injectors? I tried and they just slid off, there isn't a nub on the side for the wire clip to grab on to.
JeffBowlsby
The D-jet boots are not available anymore, anywhere. WCM lists them in their catalog, but they are NLA and have been for many years.

Its not a good idea to mix the L-Jet housings with the D-Jet FI components, they are not compatible.
dmenche914
If WCM is out of stock, then check out a wrecker, VW type III's have the same boot, as do some busses (type II is squareback, fast back nocth back cars) Or a 411/412 car (fairly rare) Look at not only the four injectors, but also teh ait temp sensor,a dn cold start injector, these also may have a two prong plug and boot.

Last option is get some large diameter heat shrink (i have done that too) and shrink it on, who will have to cut it to remove the plug, but it is easy to re-install, as you don't need to dissaaaemble teh plug to slip them on, as you would with the stock boot.

also call HPH (high performance house) they might have some used still good boot they can sell you.
rhodyguy
the ljet connections have boots, as well as a seal incorporated where the wire passes through plastic piece too. ray greenwood wrote about about the switching, over at stf. it involved some trimming/removal of the top edge of the injector. i couldn't figure out what he ment (pictures would have been swell. why is it no one posts pictures there?). in a thread i posted here, there was a picture with a p/n provided by another member, of some volvo boots. i searched in vain for a part listing with no success.

k
blitZ
You could possibly fabricate something similar using shrink tubing??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.