Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
I've got a line on an '86 Carrera front suspension. Seems to be in good shape. The owner wants $700 for everything less rack (control arms, torsion bars, anti-roll bar, tie-rods, calipers, rotors, struts, strut housing, need I go on...). 49000 miles, Boge struts. Coupla questions:

1. What's the deal with Boge's? Is it true the Boge is the bottom-feeder on the 911 strut food-chain? Are they bad enough to queer the deal?

2. In general, is $700 a reasonable price for the whole setup? Is this about the going rate for a late-model front suspension?

Thanks for the help.
Cap'n Krusty
Porsche thinks they're good enough. Why wouldn't we? The Cap'n
Mueller
KYB's are the bottom feeder of shocks...Boges are factory, still running the stock Boges on my 911 (15 years old and 70K miles)...nice ride....
davesprinkle
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 8 2006, 01:29 PM)
Porsche thinks they're good enough.  Why wouldn't we?  The Cap'n

Thanks for the response, Cap'n. I'm hesitant to put the Porsche engineers on too high a pedestal. Remember, these are the same guys that took 20 years to get a cam-chain tensioner right. Porsche, for all their emphasis on performance, was (and is) still forced to make compromises for economic reasons. My inquiry was intended to determine the generally-perceived relative quality of the struts, not to question whether or not they actually work.
KenH
The Boge Strut is universal in that you can change the shock to Koni or Bilsteins. If it is for street use only the Boges are normally not gas filled and gives a very smooth ride.

Ken
Eric_Shea
Boges are absolutely fine. And... like Ken mentions, you can put whatever you want in them. Wouldn't queer my deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.