Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camera Resistant License Plate Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
vesnyder
Anybody out there using the license plate covers that prevent the camera from shooting pictures and issuing tickets for speeding or running lights? They just installed a bunch of the cameras around town that catch drivers for speeding and running red lights, but a story on the news last night discussed how all the policeman installed these plate covers that, when viewed at an angle (camera's), cannot pick up the license number. Great idea, huh! Anybody out there using them? Where can you pick these up?
bondo
I think you'll find that your state's vehicle code prohibits any covering of the plate, no matter how transparent it appears. Chances are you'll get pulled over for it, and I doubt the fine is pleasant.
dlo914
here ya go: Photoshield one pricey license plate cover for $25, but it's sure better than paying the ticket fines. Inform us if it truely does work.
dlo914
there's even a spray version: Photoblocker Spray for $5 more than the plate cover.
dmenche914
web search???

Bunch of folks seem to have them out here, lots of older folks actully have them on conservative sedans, but they probably are not the ones that attract cop attention anyway.

Must admit I had a 914 with no front plate for about 9-10 years, technically illegal, but thats how I bought the car,c an I didn't want to pay for a new set. stopped once in yosemite park by yoggy ranger got a warning, he wonders what that little red car was with no top and packed to the gills with gear. Good thing he didn't see use ten minutes earlier driving like hell on wheels correction rails. That 914 was set up, it was freaking down hill, windy road, and we hit some good top speeds passing a lot of stuff fast. Hit full air on that trip too, flying over a hill, I believe (that old 914 made the yosemite trip scores of times, miss it, only a 1970 1.7, but set up she was)
dlo914
Google at it's best biggrin.gif
meares
i'm not sure about speeding ticket cameras, but if your .....CAR...... get's a ticket at a red light, go to court and tell the judge you weren't driving the car....the state has the burden of proof and they can't prove ........YOU....... ( the car's owner) was in fact, driving it! they didn't take a picture of the driver.....if the state has a pic of the driver then he's guilty....NOT the car's owner! however...i wouldn't use that defense to the same judge twice! those speeding ticket cameras are BULLSHIT!!!!! they are nothing but a revenue generator for the municipality!!
bondo
From the Ohio state law web page:

All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.  

And it's a minor misdemeanor.

Based on these plate specifications, they want it to be visible from wide angles.

(E) The photometric retroreflective performance values of the white sheeting, when new, shall be no less than fifty as described below:

Observation angle      Incidence angle

0.2      -4      30

50 (minimum)      20 (minimum)
guiltless
The spray stuff seems to keep within the angle and covering laws. I am going to look into that stuff.
Midtowner
I just leave the front plate off of my cars. I go on the belief that you have to give law enforcement an obvious reason (speeding, running a red light, drifting in front of the cop, etc.) to pull you over before he or she adds on a no-front-plate option to your ticket. They can take a picture of your car's front but with no plate, they can't identify you. There are a few intersections with multiple cameras with views of the rear of the car however they are not very common. biggrin.gif
jrcui
My two cents... In Oregon, you can be ticketed for having a cover over your license plate. Second, they do take a picture of the driver who either runs a red light camera or photo rader.

The responsible police department usually has an officer whose sole job is to go to court on those camera tickets (and he does bring the photos to court).

Lastly, States vary on the requirement of having two plates on the car so check your local laws.

Vince
Midtowner
Wear one of these while driving! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
DonTraver
Here in San Diego, the get a picture of you both, driver and licience, assholes. And you're right, it's all about the money, got to have some money so they can steal it, which they've done a pretty good job doing here in SD.

Later, Don
neo914-6
my buddy got photo tickets from turning without completely stopping. (california stop). Apparently they can time your "roll".

There are more photo cops in some areas like Fremont...
Midtowner
Watch out when driving in the City of Campbell (SF Bay Area)! Apparently, this is a city where most folks drive through to reach their destination. Campbell city gov't thinking is that "out of towners" are most like to pay. Hey, Campbell City Gov't: finger.gif
Trevorg7
Sorry I have to say this....Isn't against the law to run a red light? Therefore how can you be upset if you get caught?

ok ar15.gif away

T
Allan
I occasionally get the tickets in the mail for our drivers and the clarity is incredible. You can see their face very, very clearly.
Midtowner
Yup. It is illegal to run a red light however it is also illegal for a city government to catch violators using cameras. This has been proven in court. I'm just against cities using illegal practices for traffic enforcement purposes. My $0.02 worth. smile.gif
SirAndy
i'll be the first (*) to ask:

WTF.gif is wrong with getting a ticket if you run a red light?

i have watched 3 guys die right in front of my house in the last 2 years. all 3 were in the "other" car, T-Boned by a guy who thought he could run across a 6 lane intersection on a red light ...
in all 3 cases, the guy who ran the red light survived ...

what is wrong with you people?
confused24.gif Andy

(*) EDIT: guess i was second ....
grantsfo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 8 2006, 04:25 PM)
i'll be the first (*) to ask:

WTF.gif  is wrong with getting a ticket if you run a red light?

i have watched 3 guys die right in front of my house in the last 2 years. all 3 were in the "other" car, T-Boned by a guy who thought he could run across a 6 lane intersection on a red light ...
in all 3 cases, the guy who ran the red light survived ...

what is wrong with you people?
confused24.gif  Andy

(*) EDIT: guess i was second ....

Thank you! Cameras are typically put in places where speeding and running red lights have been issues for a community.

When governments start dragging photo radar out into the hills I'll consider covering my plates, until then I think redlight cameras are doing a good job of catching idiots who think its ok to blow through a red light.

I managed to live in Scottsdale AZ for 3 years without a single photo radar or redlight violation. They have them everywhere there.
gklinger
agree.gif

The Phoenix area is the red light running capital of the world. People die. My insurance shows it, although I have not had a ticket in 30+ years. Anything to stop the carnage works for me...

Scottsdale has just become the first place in the country to place speed cameras on a freeway. People have been clocked in excess of 120 MPH in the city! I say ticket 'em all!

ar15.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (MarkV @ Feb 8 2006, 02:31 PM)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

these things are like $10 at where i work (Autozone), i think this is a scam these are just regular license plate covers.
airsix
3M makes security overlays for laptop screens so you can only view from straight on. That ought to work if you can't find something else.

But... I HATE RED LIGHT RUNNERS AND I WANT THEM TO ALL GET CAUGHT. smile.gif
-Ben M.
VaccaRabite
Columbia, MD started installing red light cameras about 6 years ago. It really dropped the maount of people that were running the lights. I thin that Red Light cams are great.

Speding cams, on the othe hand finger.gif .
I don't even really speed, but I don't like them.

Zach
mack914
Because so many body parts on cars are plastic, law enforcement shoot their radar at the only thing they know is metal, the license plate. (Front plate most often) So buy some cheap plastic cover for your plate, anything will do and it will work. burnout.gif
meares
2 views........for the record>>i f'ing HATE the punk ass MF who runs through the left arrow ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif and we're sitting there waiting for that ass clown to move so we can go......DAMN that shit busts my ass!!!! ar15.gif ar15.gif soooooo for those dicks....they should get the ticket!!!! with NO way out!! unless it's an emergency,(someone's dead, baby....whatever....) so should the normal red light runners, just not so harsh....BUT speed cameras... finger.gif finger.gif it is NOTHING but a revenue stream!!!!CONVERSELY....gklinger did bring up a good point.....people were caught @ 120MPH...c'mon that's enough for me....120 in a 70....too much!!!! however, i honestly think states should go to a graduated skill system.....i.e.> if one has 5 hrs of track time/DE time and has the correct tires and brakes, that person may drive 20 MPH over with no repercussions....if one has 20 hrs, he may drive 30 over, and so on.....you may still get pulled,BUT if you show a license with the correct endorsement you go free.....car,tires and brakes MUST be in good working order!! whatcha think?????? smile.gif
neo914-6
I can understand one car speeding up through a yellow but by the third and fourth who speed by AFTER it's turned red, that's just dangerous and they deserve at least a ticket... wink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Feb 8 2006, 05:15 PM)

Zach

the trick is:

i have my daily driver registered in my wife's name, and her daily driver registered in my name. So, the last few photo tickets we have received in the mail, went right back to the city, because the picture did not match the recipient biggrin.gif
sj914
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Feb 8 2006, 04:02 PM)
Watch out when driving in the City of Campbell (SF Bay Area)! Apparently, this is a city where most folks drive through to reach their destination. Campbell city gov't thinking is that "out of towners" are most like to pay. Hey, Campbell City Gov't: finger.gif

I used to drive through Campbell alot and the cops do hang around the San Jose/Campbell boarder waiting for people to cross into Campbell so they can ticket them.
campbellcj
I got pulled over for having a regular clear cover over my rear plate on the Audi. I also had no front plate. Both were fix-it citations but still a PITA. Had to get signed-off at the Sheriff station and THEN take the signed-off ticket to the court clerk. (Technically I think you can mail it in but I pass the courthouse every day anyhow, and I don't trust even USPS completely these days.)

Of course I removed the front plate again the next weekend... driving.gif
Midtowner
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
mightyohm
QUOTE (mack914 @ Feb 8 2006, 05:30 PM)
Because so many body parts on cars are plastic, law enforcement shoot their radar at the only thing they know is metal, the license plate. (Front plate most often) So buy some cheap plastic cover for your plate, anything will do and it will work. burnout.gif

Radio waves pass through glass, plastic, and other nonmetallic materials with only a slight reduction in strength. The plastic cover isn't going to do anything for radar. It may help you with the cameras and also with laser radar, which depend on the license plate to reflect light. That is where the fancy plastic covers come into play. They don't reflect light off to the sides.

TROJANMAN
how about laquer? idea.gif
orange914
QUOTE (guiltless @ Feb 8 2006, 03:33 PM)
The spray stuff seems to keep within the angle and covering laws. I am going to look into that stuff.

what about a tin foil hat? wink.gif
Rand
If you run a red light, you deserve a ticket.

Sometimes I go over the speed limit. Guess I deserve a ticket for that too. smile.gif

I may have been busted tonight!!! I was driving along in Kirkland and see a flash... look towards it and see a digital speed limit sign. WTF is that? The first I've seen here... "Speed Limit 25," just like a regular sign but in LED light... and since I was doing close to 40 it was also flashing "slow down" at me. This was not at a stoplight or intersection, just along the street. Have you seen those in your area? Great, can't wait to see if I get something in the mail.
headbang.gif

Running red lights is just plain stupid. But I think those only photo you from behind as you run through the intersection, right??? So my take... Keep your street speed safe, and maybe remove your front plate if you want to try and escape the minor speeding photos and are willing to risk flack about the missing front plate.

But don't bother with trying to mask your plates - especially if you are looking to get away with running red lights.
GTPatrick
Some states/counties/local laws state that the owner is responsible for his car no matter who's driving. So if the driver of the car causing the incident can not be identified by a camera, Guess what ???? The owner of that auto will get the speeding , running a red light or whatever ticket . ! ! ! ! Especially if that auto gets into an accident and others are injured or killed . Some of these laws have been taken to court but guess what again ? The governmental/law enforcement agency usually wins.

Yeah , we all have heard all of the arguments why someone breaks the speed limit or whatever and they usually have some sorry ass excuse why they shouldn't get a ticket or brag big time how they got away from it. But if another driver were to do this and these winers were to get into an accident directly with that driver , or worse yet these winers got into an accident caused by these kamikaze drivers who drove away without a scratch on themselves. Well they would be the first ones screaming how unfair it was and would be getting an attorney to sue someone's ass off. screwy.gif How many of the posters hear have been in an accident by a hit and run driver and bitched about it ???

The rules of the road are the damn freaking law whether we like them or not. Don't break the damn law and you won't get a ticket. And if you do break it, so damn what if you get a ticket. Just consider it the price for doing business while you are driving. smash.gif

There are too many people who have been hurt or killed in car accidents by these idiots who drive like a maniac with their heads up their ass thinking that they own the damn road and shouldn't be held responsible if they get caught. I have had a few friends killed in car accidents caused by some other ass holes, like people who ran a red light and T-boned my friends car. headbang.gif bs.gif

I'll probably get flamed on this one but so freaking what. flipa.gif

mudfoot76
GTPatrick -- that was very well stated flag.gif

And regarding the liscence plate covers, I saw on Top Gear/Fifth Gear (UK version) a little piece about traffic cameras and the plate covers. If you had one of those and it was obscured in visible light, they would flip to a negative image and you could read the plate with no problems...
Mark Henry
A while back we had photo-radar here...come election time the government (NDP) got booted out because of it. No one seeking election here would dare mention it now.

Red light cameras are a different matter, no one is bashing them at all. Except those who get a ticket.

IMHO they deserve a ticket...too bad...so sad.
bmcwilli
I'll be third....

While the idea of the cameras bugs me, when I hear people twist it into a privacy or "big brother" issue I wanna puke.

I can save you a quick $ 25. DON'T run the friggin lights!

Geez, what is this country coming to?

Ad if I was Headrage, I'd be thankful for the cameras and tickets. Any employee of mine gets nailed running a light, he will not get a second chance.
Chromatech
Personally I wouldn't want one to beat photo radar or traffic light cameras. I want one (if they work) to beat the video toll charge on the 407 toll highway (north of Toronto). There's another f'ing money grab......

Grrrr ar15.gif
gopack
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Feb 8 2006, 03:52 PM)
Wear one of these while driving! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Most states it is against the law to drive wearing a mask as well!
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Feb 9 2006, 11:04 AM)
Personally I wouldn't want one to beat photo radar or traffic light cameras. I want one (if they work) to beat the video toll charge on the 407 toll highway (north of Toronto). There's another f'ing money grab......

Grrrr ar15.gif

Yep....a highway that the taxpayer paid for and was sold to private biz for pennies on the dollar. Total scam.
mad.gif
riverman
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Feb 9 2006, 10:04 AM)

Grrrr ar15.gif

agree.gif
The most expensive toll road on the planet. It's not even owned by Canadians, its owned by a bunch of Spaniards.

I don't think anybody minds cameras if they are truly enforcing a safety issue (intersections and dangerous driving), but where I get annoyed is when they are used as a cash grab. As Mark Henry pointed out, we had photo radar here in Ontario a few years back. What got people so upset was that they set the speed at which you would get a ticket too low. Our posted speed limit is 100 kph, so everybody drives 120 kph. When an actual cop is doing radar enforcement, you will hardly ever get pulled over at that speed (unless they really want to pull you over for some other reason). The photo radar was set at 115 kph and nearly everybody was getting dinged. I don't think people would have got so upset if they set it at 125 kph, but 115 just seemed like a cash grab.

Furthermore, the photo radar became a safety issue in itself when people would slow down abruptly whenever they saw a van parked on the side of the road. Multi-car pile-ups started happening and the public revolted. Next election, the PC's ran on the platform of abolishing photo radar - and won. Good riddance.

We still have laws banning the covering of licence plates, but they are mainly in place because of the friggin' 407 toll road. I wouldn't mind paying the tolls so much if our government actually owned the road and the profits went to reduce taxes or increase social programs, but to have the money go to some Spanish consortium really burns me ar15.gif .
Root_Werks
Always take every ticket you get to court, always.

Not to long ago I was cruisin' along around 45mph coming up to a light that was yellow. I saw the couple of cars ahead of me go through it and knew it would be red before I could get a wheel into the intersection, so I applied brakes to slow down and almost got rear ended. ohmy.gif

No, I wasn't driving like an old man or slaming on my brakes. Just that the person behind me thought me, him and the next couple of cars could have made it through. Dude, no way. The light turned red as the car in front of me entered the intersection. He honked his horn at me looking all pissed. I got out of my car and told him to fuck off. If he didn't like it, I would gladly pull him from his Ford Exploder and make him like it.

99% of the time I spend behind the wheel of any car, I hate it with a passion. Too many dumbfucks out there with 4-5k pound weapons.

sad.gif
dflesburg
My response will likely shock most of you since I normally think most ticketable offenses are stupid.

ie: speed, drag racing, not enough ground clearance, rear bumper too high, etc.

but, I live out on the edge of town in the Ohio country side. For those of you in the city or in town.

I do however think that the following rules should apply:

1. obey all traffic laws in town. especially in residential neighborhoods. That includes stop signs and traffic lights. We don't want to hurt any kids. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

2. stop for all stop signs out in the country so you don't get killed. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

3. keep your shinny side up. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

4. try to keep at least 3 tires on the ground at all times. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

5. no drifting on public roads, loose gravel. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

6. never drink and drive (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

7. only let women drive your car (she can borrow the truck anytime) in the neighborhood or a parking lot and while your riding along. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

Thanks for letting me share....

NOTE: If your running stop lights anyplace they have camera's your probably in town so see rule # 1. Also see rule # 2.
airsix
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Feb 9 2006, 07:49 AM)
5. no drifting on public roads...

Not even little tiny ones? unsure.gif

-Ben M.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Feb 9 2006, 11:49 AM)
My response will likely shock most of you since I normally think most ticketable offenses are stupid.

ie: speed, drag racing, not enough ground clearance, rear bumper too high, etc.

but, I live out on the edge of town in the Ohio country side. For those of you in the city or in town.

I do however think that the following rules should apply:

1. obey all traffic laws in town. especially in residential neighborhoods. That includes stop signs and traffic lights. We don't want to hurt any kids. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

2. stop for all stop signs out in the country so you don't get killed. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

3. keep your shinny side up. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

4. try to keep at least 3 tires on the ground at all times. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

5. no drifting on public roads, loose gravel. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

6. never drink and drive (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

7. only let women drive your car (she can borrow the truck anytime) in the neighborhood or a parking lot and while your riding along. (could lead to scuffing your ve-HIKLE)

Thanks for letting me share....

NOTE: If your running stop lights anyplace they have camera's your probably in town so see rule # 1. Also see rule # 2.

Amen...Praise the lord and pass the collection plate, err preferably in this direction I have a car habit to feed. laugh.gif

Seriously want to do something that will save lives? Make the idiots who can't drive anyways to hang-up the cell phone and just drive. That might be a good start, especially here in Columbus. Will they do that? Hell no they won't. It is easier to bilk the public out of their dollars via a camera. They then write the laws to give themselves the upper hand in court. What a concept....

Have you ever noticed that this is the trend everywhere? They just look for ways to get our money. Sort of like the bully on the corner wants some of your candy, before you are allowed to continue on your way.

I'm all for "fair and just" laws. What I'm not for is big brother up my ass. I have enough of that BS already. I'm no longer government property, I'm a sovereign being with no master that I recognise.

Cameras are just another way to infringe onto our liberties. Just like the patriot act, one giant step closer to communisim. It is what we deserve for being sheep and not fighting back. Our patriot ancesters would roll over in their graves, if they knew the future people of the USA would allow this shit.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 8 2006, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Feb 8 2006, 05:15 PM)

Zach

the trick is:

i have my daily driver registered in my wife's name, and her daily driver registered in my name. So, the last few photo tickets we have received in the mail, went right back to the city, because the picture did not match the recipient biggrin.gif

In CA, the registered owner has to show up in court, and sign an affidavit swearing he doesn't know who was driving to beat that one. Then, of course, the Judge is gonna question the RO, and he's gonna wonder why you don't know who was driving your car, and why you swore you don't know. Lying to the court has the potential of being a LOT worst than that ticket ........ The Cap'n
TROJANMAN
it's different in colorado.

and, i can't remember, but in california, does a ticket in the mail even constitute proper service? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.