Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ERP bump steer kit.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
of your installation. These rubys come with no instructions and I'm sure I can put em' in wrong.

I'll be whinning for months over the cost of these things. barf.gif
drgchapman
I thought raising the spindles eliminated the need for the bump steer kit?

hijacked.gif

Progress is being made on my project.......Got my trailing arms today with elephant bushings, 915 CV's. Tranny was on his bench..........
oil lines all figured.

You can have your thread back now

Gary
TimT
you want me to go out to my cold garage and take pics now? poke.gif

bolt goes in from the top, nut on the bottom....there was a PP thread awhile back, and Cary E of ERP mention the bolt should be installed from the top
drgchapman
That way, when the nut falls off, you have a turn or two to figure it out!!
J P Stein
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Feb 8 2006, 04:07 PM)
I thought raising the spindles eliminated the need for the bump steer kit?

hijacked.gif

You thought wrong, but it won't be the last time.....it never is for me, why should you be different.

Thanx, Tim. I already was told that once today....but I forgot.....I'm loosing it, I tell ya.
screwy.gif

A pic would be nice...just to jog my memory an hour from now.....but wait till it warms up. biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
Are you talking about the thick washer-like ones?

If so, they go under your steering rack and raise it up just off of the chassis. There is a cover plate that you need to remove to get at the bottom of the rack. I forget how I got them in there, I think I took one bolt out at a time and left the other as loose as I could.

The kit should come with longer bolts that go in from the bottom and account for the additional distance from the washer. Be careful not to over-torque those bolts (I dunno the setting off hand), if I recall, the rack is an aluminum housing.

I hope this was helpful.
drgchapman
What else is new?
TimT
Well I got a new camera today so I had to try it out, and I also wanted to plug the block heater in my truck in so I opened the garage for the first time in a month or so laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Feb 8 2006, 04:50 PM)
Are you talking about the thick washer-like ones?

Nah, deze guys. I already got doze other guys. biggrin.gif
Allan
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 8 2006, 04:07 PM)
you want me to go out to my cold garage and take pics now? poke.gif

Yeah, and do it naked... biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
Doh! NVM
J P Stein
Thanks, Tim. Now I owe you, damnit.....even tho you wanted to try the new camera. biggrin.gif
Jeroen
just wondering...
how do you adjust these to your bumpsteer specs?
cut the tapered piece to the required length, or what?
TimT
cut the tapered piece to the required length

yes trim , or add shims, you have to plot the camber curve to fine tune this though
Aaron Cox
remember the one that went *snap* over on pelican???

have you already tried the heat and bend the steering arm idea yet JP?
echocanyons
a bit more steep but this seems like a much better solution

user posted image
J P Stein
I understand they have taken more care with their bolt selection now days.
Since my bumpsteer problems are minimal as of now, and my struts are raised 3/4 in, I'll drop the ride height (1 inch on the cones) 1/4 inch and all *should* equal out.....not a very scientific method.....whadda ya want from a backyard dufuss?

I didn't think much of the Elephant solution. See backyard above.
brant
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 8 2006, 06:52 PM)
remember the one that went *snap* over on pelican???

have you already tried the heat and bend the steering arm idea yet JP?

after that long.... long... story on pelican.
Didn't it end up that the guy installed it wrong and the nut was loose.

I've regularly checked mine and after 1 year there is nothing that has worried me. They haven't "come loose" either.

I know big teeners with big slicks running these and they have no problems. I'm hoping the guy that broke his was just bad luck and failure to torque.

I'm not worried about this style
brant
TimT
I followed the saga on PP regarding the ERP failure, IRC the guy had done work on the front end, wasnt sure if the bolts were torqued etc. The bolt that failed was installed incorrectly etc...

Ive used this set up for years and havent had any issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.