Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tar Pad Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcbain77
I am in the process of removing the stock tarpad that is insanely attached to the floor pan. I feel like i am playing Minesweeper with the chisel and hammer action. Does anyone have any good tips (read shortcuts . . .) for removing this crap.

I tried my grinder with a 4" wire brush and that seemed to work OK. Anyone have a different method or some suggestions?
r_towle
Heat gun, chisel, and wire brush...

Heat gun is your friend with this stuff...

Rich
tat2dphreak
butane torch... use a mask...
campbellcj
I did 2 cars so far with just a scraper. Heat just makes it messier and smellier IMO.
Lou W
tat2dphreak Posted on Feb 8 2006, 07:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
butane torch... use a mask...  

Butane torch and scraper worked very well for me, just be careful that you don't have a fire.
Rand
A heat gun would be best. I didn't have one at the time, so I used a butane torch. The trick is to get a good wide scraper under it and heat the tar ahead of the scraper just enough for it to loosen up while pushing firmly on the scraper. Then you can quickly get big sections up at a time without getting it so hot that it burns or stinks.

Then there's the white seam sealer... A wire wheel on a grinder is the easiest way to get that off. Messy, but fast.
Mueller
I used dry ice once....it works pretty decent without the stinky fumes the heat method creates....
Gilbert914
I found that a grinder with wire brushes worked, extremely messy but gets the desired result. or use plenty of blowtorch.gif
Either way this is a nasty job and I commend you for going for it .
Rand
Sorry to be redundant, but the method I used to remove the tar was not nasty, fumey, messy, tedious, or slow. beer.gif
joea9146
QUOTE (Rand @ Feb 9 2006, 04:37 AM)
Sorry to be redundant, but the method I used to remove the tar was not nasty, fumey, messy, tedious, or slow. beer.gif

I agree a wide scraper and a propane torch I did my entire floor in about 2 -3 hours and the tar comes off in big chunks. As mentioted a wide scraper and heat up the tar a little, you do not want to melt it just get some heat into it
lotus_65
i'm going to try blasting the underside of the floorboard with my heatgun, then scraping with a wide blade. it makes sense to me to just heat the contact patch.
it might be good w/2 people that way... what do you guys think?
Gint
Heat gun and a scraper. It's an EASY job.

EASY - Just do it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (Gint @ Feb 9 2006, 07:58 AM)
Heat gun and a scraper. It's an EASY job.

EASY - Just do it.

+1
I did it this way. Took a few hours, but it was easy work.

Zach
mcbain77
So far, the only easy thing on this car has been removing the gas tank. wacko.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (mcbain77 @ Feb 9 2006, 10:15 AM)
So far, the only easy thing on this car has been removing the gas tank. wacko.gif

The trick to this is getting all the other crap out of the way before trying to remove the tar. Remove the seat brackets, assorted wires, e-brake handle and cables. Then just heat up a patch of tar and move on in. finish the job up with an angle grinder and a wire brush. Then clean, metal ready, and Por-15.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.