Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 Brake upgrade options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jetboy
Can someone (im sure many can) help me out?

I am wondering what my best options are for bolt and go (or stop actually) for caliper/rotor replacement on a '71 /4? I am getting a car that has frozen calipers and figure its better to just upgrade them rather than rebuild.

Please no discussions about how the stock is fine even for track conditions. Imagine i am the worst driver ever and ride my brakes to no end.

I am just curious if the ppl in the know can tell me what route would be best to hopefully get some vented rotors up front with some better calipers. I am fine either just replacing the rears or rebuilding back to stock, but, most curious about better front end stopping. Is this going to require a 911 front end to do?

This is just the start of the questions as im about to dive into my first 914 project. Thnx in advance. beer.gif
McMark
Rotors are really your issue. Follow the rotors and the calipers will follow. You want vented rotors. You can get a set of the billet hubs from the club store and use a 911 caliper that has 3" bolt spacing. It will bolt right up. But you're talking $. I'd tell you about how stock brakes are fine, but you don't want to hear it. wink.gif
Andyrew
bmw 320I calipers work.. pelican parts tech article...

rotors will keep em cool..

If you want to stop, you really just want sticky pads.... but you need calipers first biggrin.gif
jetboy
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 9 2006, 01:08 AM)
You want vented rotors.  You can get a set of the billet hubs from the club store and use a 911 caliper that has 3" bolt spacing.  It will bolt right up.  

Club Store description says, "fits 73-76 model struts only". This is for a '71.

Stock is not what i want to hear because some day i may go to a 3.0 (about 409lbs) or i have heard from Edelbrock their 350 is about 440lbs. Ppl always say you have to upgrade brakes to stop the extra weight and even the /6 conversion is looking close to a V8. So, this is why im ultimately upgrading.

Do the 911 "M" calipers not allow for vented rotors? Or, do they not bolt up to the front end?
Jaiden
Just search for 911 strut housings with the 3.5" spacing.
Then find the hubs calipers rotors and pads. hopefully in one setup

You will need new style ball joints but then it should just bolt up. you may need to rebuild the calipers depending on condition.

And think about replacing the MC with a 19mm unit. the stocker is over 30 years old and isn't the best setup for the larger brakes
jetboy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 9 2006, 01:12 AM)
bmw 320I calipers work..

rotors will keep em cool..

I was looking into the 320i calipers... but, i thought i heard that they cant fit vented rotors. Is this correct?
lapuwali
If you want a bolt-on solution, then just get a pair of used 911SC struts and matching calipers. Buy new rotors and balljoints for the SC, as well. This will all bolt up to your '71. You'll need to hubs from the Club Store if you want to stick with 4-bolt wheels, as the 911 hubs are 5-lug. You'll also need a 19mm MC.

Anything else will require some custom work. You can make even the stock calipers fit vented rotors with appropriate spacers. You can use Volvo, BMW, RX-7, Wilwood, etc calipers with some custom adapters. Anything can be made to work with enough time, effort, and money.

All of this will bias your brakes more towards the front, and esp. if you're fitting a heavier engine, that means you'll end up with less rear brake than is ideal. The 914 has a low CG and a relatively long wheelbase, and the rear brakes correspondingly do a lot more work stopping the car than they do on many other cars, so you shouldn't skimp here. Changing this requires more custom work. There is no simple bolt-on solution here that also gives you working emergency brakes. 911 rear brakes can be made to work, and Eric Shea can help you get there.

IMHO, getting a complete stock braking system working properly will actually cost less than upgrading everything now, and will give you a drivable car until you decide to upgrade. The cost of upgrading will likely be a drop in the bucket compared to the costs of a good V8 or /6 conversion.
Eric_Shea
What Jaiden and James said.

Been there. Done that, what seems like 100 times. If you're serious about big brakes and a 3.0, BMW calipers are already obsolete.

911 M-Calipers are set up on vented rotors but you'll need the 911 struts or, as mentioned by Mark... billets. I have a pair of late struts for $50 clams if you want them. Again, If you're serious about big brakes and a 3.0, M-calipers are probably already obsolete.

Get Koni and or Bilstein struts (get the entire front end for that matter) and go large. The real question is, what wheel and tire combo are you going to have to take advantage of both the 3.0 and your new huge brakes?

Get out the checkbook.

Otherwise, save your money until the 3.0 is ready and blow it all at once.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.