Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire transport idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Anyone seen or done this? How crazy of an idea IS it? Just take your worst spair roof, and bolt away...

I would expect the load of 4 tires to be evenly distributed over the entire roof, just add some cables w/locks to lock your skins to the rack for security, and some bungies or netting over the whole mess to keep it all in place on the highway, and away you go!

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?pa...prod_id=1732464
URY914
I don't know if the latches for the roof should be holding that kind of weight.
I would hate to see you have a panic stop and have the tires/roof come flying off onto you hood!

Allan
I'd pass on that...
Trekkor
I like it.

I won't do, as I always trailer, but I like it.

KT
ClayPerrine
I saw this done years ago at an SCCA AX. The guy had added reinforcements to an old targa top, and put a couple pieces of all thread up from the roof vertically. He would put the tires over them, put a locking lug nut on the end to secure them. At home, he just lifted the top off complete with the tires to store them, and put the regular top back on. At the AX, he would lift off the top,change the wheels, and put the regular top back on the car.

His reinforcement was a large sheet of steel added to both the inside and outside of the top, fiberglassed in place.
grantsfo
Cool, put some rally lights on the front of the rack and your set for Baja 500!
URY914
I like the concept, but it just needs to be done right.

There are enough spare roofs around for everyone to try it.
cha914
I have a friend down in San Antonio that took a spare roof and made a tire rack that bolts to it. It mounts the tires standing vertically, side by side, with a pole that goes through the center of the tires to secure them.

The roof is reinforced on the top and bottom with steel straps and is quite sturdy, but makes the top pretty heavy. However, he has used it many, many times, the biggest drawback is that the tires on the roof REALLY hurt the aero, and he said he can't do much over 70mph with the rack on the car.

Next time down I will try to remember to snap a picture.

Tony
ottox914
I had the same thoughts, both about the rack and the aero- snap a photo when you can, I'd like to see it.
Dave-O
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Feb 9 2006, 09:36 AM)
I would expect the load of 4 tires to be evenly distributed over the entire roof, just add some cables w/locks to lock your skins to the rack for security, and some bungies or netting over the whole mess to keep it all in place on the highway, and away you go!

Is Nancy coming to a few autocrosses this year? cool.gif Too bad I can't make fun of you too much, because I'm joining your ranks...I'll run on my streets to the long events. Still have to convince my dad to buy a small car hauler...
mharrison
Like I posted in another post about this. Do the mod for the behind the tag hidden receiver hitch, then get (or build) one of these:

user posted image
ottox914
Not likely we'll see her at events, but she may hook a ride to her sisters from time to time. My wheels/tires may spend the summer at brother in law stephen's place- I'll drop of Nancy and p-up the skins, and off to the event!
ottox914
mharrison- thats interesting... there was a thread a while back with photos of a removeable "hitch" for our cars that hooked on to the motor cross bar, and hung from brackets mounted to the tranny... wonder what it would take to just build that rig, and rather than a hitch ball, make the adaptor for the wheels/tires.

I would be concerned about the fairly narrow attachment to the trans area, and the width of the weight of the tires, if that makes any sence, puting a twisting load on the whole set up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.