Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only 32k miles, but stored for 20 years...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dsmeyer
My project is a bone stock 914 2.0 that was stored for almost 20 years.
The Silver paint is bad but it has only minor surface rust on the battery tray and
a couple other spots.

I have stripped the car completely for paint work and plan to restore and, or rebuild
everything before it goes back on the car.

My question is, how far should I take the Engine and Transmission apart?
The Engine turns over freely by hand.

I would like a McMark Engine, but I would also like to keep the stock fuel injection.
Maybe 1/2 a McMark Engine with stock fuel injection. Would it be worth it?
1/2 meaning I may only get half the power increase with stock fuel injection.

My old 150k 2.0 is stock other than "Euro" flat top pistons and was great for
many, many years, but a little extra power would be nice.

The least I would do is take it down to the short block and just replace the pistons
and cylinders and rebuild the heads if needed.
The most I would do is McMark engine with stock fuel injection.

I would really like to hear what the Engine Experts on this forum would recommend.

As for the Transmission, should I just change the oil and run it, or take it apart and
give it a good cleaning and inspection inside?

SLITS
If the engine turns 360 degrees.....fire it up and see what it does. Why take it apart if there's nothing wrong?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 9 2006, 11:02 AM)
If the engine turns 360 degrees.....fire it up and see what it does. Why take it apart if there's nothing wrong?

agree.gif be sure and run clean gas through and let 'er rip! if it breaks THEN rebuild biggrin.gif
dsmeyer
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Feb 9 2006, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 9 2006, 11:02 AM)
If the engine turns 360 degrees.....fire it up and see what it does.  Why take it apart if there's nothing wrong?

agree.gif be sure and run clean gas through and let 'er rip! if it breaks THEN rebuild biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies, but "try it, and see what happens" is not an option.

The engine is already out and the inside of the fuel tank looked like resent photos of the Titanic.
The previous owner said that he had filled the tank before storage, but
only about 6 or 7 gallons of toxic goo drained out.
Porsche Rescue
I am not an engine expert, but if it only has 32K on it I would not tear it down. Clean the fuel system, bench clean and test the injectors (9V battery will do it), replace the fuel hoses and install. You might do some sort of flush with light oil/solvent of some sort while engine is out. Adjust valves, install and start. If it is bad, it is not a big deal to remove it and tear down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.