Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transporting Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
205/50/15s

How many can I fit up front?
Can I fit one in the rear? Two?
Then the remainder in the passengers seat?

How do you guys transport your race rubber to and from events?
TimT
How do you guys transport your race rubber to and from events?

In my trailer lol2.gif j/k

when I used to drive to events I was able to get 2 wheels behind the seats (911) one on the passenger seat, one in the trunk. As soon as I put a roll bar in I lost that option. After that I drove to events on the good rubber.

Why not look into one of those mini trailers? you can carry lots of stuff then
Dave-O
QUOTE (yarin @ Feb 9 2006, 12:43 PM)
How many can I fit up front?
Can I fit one in the rear? Two?
Then the remainder in the passengers seat?

Ottox914 carries his 205-50-15 S04 Hoosier's on 7" rims to the AX events. Only 1 fits in the front trunk, 0 in the back trunk, and 3 in the passenger seat.

bryanc
I was able to get 205/50 tires on 5.5x15 rims in my 914. Two in passenger seat, one in front trunk, one in rear.

I miss those days......
jhadler
Really? I don't miss 'em too much...

Let's see...

1) Taking the cloverleaf just a little too fast and having to hold back a tower of tires and tools from falling on me. biggrin.gif

2) Driving back home in the 914 after standing on the tarmac for a full day in 100 degree heat... kenny.gif

Okay, I do miss 'em... but not -that- much...

But, to answer the question. One in front, one in back, and two in the passenger seat. Jack in the back, air tank in the passenger footwell, tools in the front. Away events were even better as I had to find a place to pack a weekend's worth of gear....

-Josh2
Al Meredith
I always thought that transporting tires was a job for all those luggage racks I have taken off. how about putting one on the roof. If you are like me you have some old roofs laying around. Try that on your 911!
rhodyguy
just what i was thinking al. get a rough or a spare roof to drill holes in. save the nice one for non racin' days.

k
Joe Ricard
225/45-15 Hoosiers 1 in front trunk with rest of gear 1 in rear trunk placed just right it fits,
1 on floor board on on seat with harness bukled around it. with a towel inbetween of course.

This Weekend my son is going along as tire warmer so all 4 on edge in the rear trunk with the jack and tool bag. all the extra gear in front trunk. Hey the boy is going to hate 4 hours in the car no heat no radio no stopping.
mharrison
Ok, find the thread on the hidden receiver hitch behind the tag. Do the mods, then build or buy this:

user posted image

I've seen several of these on various makes at recent autocrosses.

Joe Ricard
All them Miata guys are always amazed and jealous at the crap I can pack in the car for racing. And pissed when I administer a solid spanking. owned.gif
ottox914
Dave-o is correct, but I leave the carpet and thick rubber heat/sound pad in the back trunk, that may prevent the tire on the 7" rim from fitting. One tire in front trunk with the tire cover/board in place, auto-x box there also. 1 tire in passinger footwell, 2 on the seat, the last one upside down so the helmet fits inside it. Small soft sided cooler, small tool box w/spairs, and folding chair in the back trunk, and still room for the room on nice days. No room for the wife.

and.... spanking Miatas should be a summer olympic sport.
yarin
If i'm going to leave the roof off I could rig something up to bolt two tires on top of the roll cage at the rear corners. Then 1 up front and 1 in the back.

I guess i'll figure it out once I get the car running and pack up for my first event of '06.

We're expecting up to a foot of snow this weekend, so no progress in the unheated garage this weekend. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.