Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to clean engine and parts with
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ventilator01
Tried to search the site but didnt find any topics for this, I have my engine out and just wondering what has been found to be the better cleaner/degreaser to use.
thx
Steve
yarin
Carb Cleaner and an abrasive brush.

Just watch out for plastic, rubber parts. $0.89 at Walmart.
tat2dphreak
brake cleaner, (watch for rubber and paint)

gunk foamy
power purple
simple green

elbow grease
SirAndy
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Feb 9 2006, 11:21 AM)
brake cleaner, (watch for rubber and paint)

brake cleaner ...

it *OK* on rubber but will eat plastic or paint ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Seagrave
Simple green and a stiff nylon brush. Well ventilated area. Takes longer but less danger to parts.
toon1
coctco sells a product called oil eater, it is biodegradeable, water based. You can mix it 1/1 and it works well. I found that and elbow grease, lots and lots of elbow grease.
lotus_65
what about pressure washing, will that scar the aluminum?
Allan
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Feb 11 2006, 07:50 AM)

You have to be really careful when pressure washing the motor and tranny. I used a pressure washer on my motor before I tore it down and even though I made sure all openings were sealed off it still had water in it when I took it apart.

Didn't hurt the aluminimum or magnesium.

For smaller parts that didn't contain any rubber or plastic pieces I had a 5 gallon parts cleaning bucket with carb cleaner. It wurked gud...
Joe Bob
I just did an engine and trans tear down,,,,I used brake cleaner on the parts that I didn't want water on and the Purple Stuff available at AutoZone....water soluble.

lotus_65
QUOTE (Headrage @ Feb 11 2006, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Feb 11 2006, 07:50 AM)

You have to be really careful when pressure washing the motor and tranny. I used a pressure washer on my motor before I tore it down and even though I made sure all openings were sealed off it still had water in it when I took it apart.

Didn't hurt the aluminimum or magnesium.

For smaller parts that didn't contain any rubber or plastic pieces I had a 5 gallon parts cleaning bucket with carb cleaner. It wurked gud...

cool, thanks.

i think i'll just p-wash the tin and other parts. i think i can do the fan housing that way too. btw, does the fan housing come apart by removing the screws and 3 bolts from the perimeter, or are there more items to unfasten (hex bolt or something).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.