Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shocks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
ok I am tring to be sure what I have shock and spring wise on my car before I go off and buy different ones ....

on the rear I see that they are orange and say made in mexico?.... is there any way of knowing what springs are on there ---

front I have no idea dea -- is there a good way to find out w/o tear it down?

sk8kat1
when I bought the car the PO had some magnetic #s and a sign that said scca -- solo II -- not sure what that means but I thought I would through it out if it helps
tat2dphreak
is it like a red-orange? could be koni reds...

I didn't think they were made in MX though
sk8kat1
tried to wipe the crap off as best I could -- I guess it could be re orange -- it is not a basket ball orange --- the part of teh nubmer stamped in it starts w/ 735 ... I wish I could pull the tire off to get a better look but just had foot surgery and really don't want to anger my foot more tan I need to

any thoughts on telling what springs or what the fronts might be -- I assume that the fronts and the rears should match... right?
sk8kat1
i have done a little looking and it seems the org equip konis possibly were orange -- but made in mexico.....

is it possible these are orginal shocks and springs?!---- and if they are are koni reds an upgrade or just a same replace ment part?
maf914
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 9 2006, 12:34 PM)
is it possible these are orginal shocks and springs?!---- and if they are are koni reds an upgrade or just a same replace ment part?

I think the original shocks were all Boge and were black, front and rear. Aftermarket Koni's came in red or yellow. The Koni's I have had have all been red, not orange.
jhadler
Well, the rear shocks are about the only thing you'll be able to identify without turning a wrench. That is, if you can clean 'em up enough to read anymore info. As for the springs? Unless they're aftermarket, and labled, you'll have to take 'em off the car to measure 'em to find out. Torsion bars? Gotta pull 'em out to see which ones they are. And front shocks, the top of the strut inster -might- give you a clue, but I don't know the difference between Boge's and Bilstiens up there...

-Josh2
sk8kat1
the only thing I found was on the automotion site -- it mentioned that org equip konis were yellow or orange .. bilt were green...

as far as what was oem I have no clue --

so are koni reds a set up from org equip konis....?
goose2
Original equip would have been Boge..black. You have aftermarket shocks unless someone painted them. Konis will have the Koni logo stamped on the body somewhere....a little triangle with rounded corners, but it's hard to see without good cleaning
SLITS
If they were Koni "Reds"...you would see a part number, the word "Heavy" and an arrow about 3 - 4" up from the trailing arm mount. These were the original "collapse to adjust" Koni shocks.

If they are Orange Konis, then I would suppose them to not be adjustable....just a "sport" shock.

On your springs, assuming they are black, look for a vertical green stripe on two or three of the coils (or is it horizontal?). If it exists they are prolly stock springs.

914s do not have front springs...they have torsion bars & it is doubtful if they are the same rate as the rear springs.
brant
I had a 911 front end once, that had orange inserts with the "made in mexico" lable.

I can't for the life of me remember the brand at the moment. But at the time I had done some research on this and found out that there was an aftermarket company making orange shocks with the "made in mexico" label. They weren't koni, but knock offs.

anyways.... I'm guessing this is what you have. An aftermarket shock but some obscure, and now defunct company that used to make replacement shocks in the 70's-80's

if there good use them
if there bad replace them.

brant
SLITS
Brant.....

Try Mulholland Shocks by Interpart ..... hecho en mexico

Ole',
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Feb 9 2006, 03:48 PM)
Brant.....

Try Mulholland Shocks by Interpart ..... hecho en mexico

Ole',

damn...beat me to it..

mulhollands were orange...

AND

boge rears are orange (new replacements... seen on a few cars down here)
SLITS
Now oh mighty engineer and 914 guru.....splain where the name mulholland came from.....

prize will be revealed in my next post!
sk8kat1
so would koni reds be a step up from these orange mystry shocks -

-- I was planning on maybe replacing the front end bushings and the shocks so I figured I would replaces the rears and upgrade the springs ...
Mueller
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 9 2006, 04:07 PM)

-- I was planning on maybe replacing the front end bushings and the shocks so I figured I would replaces the rears and upgrade the springs ...

I don't think Koni reds are available anymore and used ones might not be better than what you already have.

it takes 10 minutes to remove a shock and spring...it's not that difficult to measure the spring and check the operation of the shock...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 9 2006, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Feb 9 2006, 04:07 PM)

-- I  was planning on  maybe replacing the front end bushings and the shocks  so I figured I would replaces the rears and upgrade the springs  ...

I don't think Koni reds are available anymore and used ones might not be better than what you already have.

it takes 10 minutes to remove a shock and spring...it's not that difficult to measure the spring and check the operation of the shock...

koni reds in the rear... they dont have a low shock setting, and it makes your car go to 4x4 mode......

you would need threaded adjustable collars to change that
sk8kat1
when I take the rear shock off waht measurement am I looking for on the spring to say which springs I have-- and do I need to remove the spring from the shock?
brant
Muhhhhhhh holand.
that sounds right

I swear people around here are just to freakin smart.

Hmmmmm
why muholand.
dunno

for muholand drive?

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.