Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how soft to Koni's go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I know this popped up a couple weeks ago, but which shocks provide the best ride? I'm looking for new shocks for my stock 1.7.

Stock Boge? It's whats on there, they don't leak, but they must be worn out because the ride is pretty horrible. There is no rebound control and the car bounces for several minutes after a little bump. smile.gif

Bilsteins? Have them on my 3.6 and I like them.

Koni? Would probably run full soft with 100# springs. Bad idea?

KYB? I won't even consider them. Yuch.

-Steve
Gint
Unless you're looking to buy used shocks, this won't get as much traffic here in the classifieds as it would in the garage Steve. I'll transfer this over there.
siverson
Oh oooops, thanks. Was accidentally in the wrong section.

-Steve
Joe Ricard
I had Koni red externally adjustables on my car Stock front torsion bars.
When set to 1/4 turn off full soft rebound they were really nice. I had Koni Red externally adjustables on the rear with 150 lb coil overs nice ride @ 1/2 turn from full soft rebound.

So that's all I know. Koni's Rock rocking nana.gif
ottox914
To my limited grasp of things, ride quality is more due to springs and torsion bars, as they support the weight of the car. Shocks control the up and down of the car on the springs/Tbars, sway bars control side to side weight transfer. All that said, my car has 175# springs, 19mm T bars, a 16mm adjustable rear bar, 21mm adjustable front bar, and koni sport yellows all around. I find that for general to and from the auto cross driving, I keep the konis at full soft, and at the event take the fronts up maybe 1/2 to 1 turn, usually leave the rears alone.

Love the Konis. Jason at www.paragon-products.com is the Koni man. He'll treat you as right as anyone, and if his $$$ are a buck or 2 more than others, the advice you'll get is definately worth it.
Joe Ricard
Yea just don't forget to crank the rebound back to street trim after an event. last AX I forgot and though I was going to die from my ass getting jambed over my ears.
ottox914
BTDT, also leaving to much air in the tires and driving home on rock hard sidewalls. (before getting that second set of rims/skins we're trying to figure out the best way to haul in the "crazy idea" thread)
Mueller
Steve,

I know I've seen the data before, I "think" they are valved so that on the softest setting, they'll match near stock spring rates....

When I drove Mikes Rose's 914 at the WCC a few years ago with 195/50's, the ride was pretty stiff at full turn up....once I turned them down to low...the ride was awesome for around down....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.