Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny question for Brad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
Yo Brad,

So now I gotta go and get me one of them dyno'ed 3.6 variowhatchacallits for my 914. Will the 914 tranny with LSD and Intermediate plate that you built for me handle a 3.6?
Aaron Cox
im not brad.... (but i stayed at a holiday inn last night)

its not geared optimum for a six.

talk to dan calicott, as he runs a huge HP 3.6 thru a 901.....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 9 2006, 06:59 PM)
its not geared optimum for a six.

agree.gif stock 901 gearing sucks, but, the gearing can be changed ...

LSD is NICE ! (haha, never thought i would say that ... smoke.gif )

gotta get myself one of them limited schlipps too ...
boldblue.gif Andy
ppickerell
Thanks for the replies. I suffer from six envy.
McMark
Andy's doing the 3.6 <-> 901 thing. Let him blow his up. av-943.gif Or buy a cheapie donor 901 and see how long that lasts. That should be a decent indicator of what your nice tranny can do. idea.gif
messix
tranny's ... aren't they chicks with uhm never mind.
Porcharu
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Feb 9 2006, 06:55 PM)
Yo Brad,

So now I gotta go and get me one of them dyno'ed 3.6 variowhatchacallits for my 914. Will the 914 tranny with LSD and Intermediate plate that you built for me handle a 3.6?

You need a nice Suby trans - coming soon - maybe.
KenH
I took the teeth off a 901 ring gear at 290hp. Pulling out of T 13 @ TH. 901 is VERY marginal at that HP.

Ken

KenH
And it was only a 2100# car not a 911.

Ken
DanT
Yea Ken, but you had some big assed tires on that car. biggrin.gif

Something had to give wink.gif
KenH
Yea, but so does Bill.

Dan are you a "go" for 2/25?

Ken
DanT
I'll be there to instruct, but car will not be ready until TT#2 mad.gif sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 9 2006, 09:37 PM)
Andy's doing the 3.6 <-> 901 thing. Let him blow his up. av-943.gif

yeah, let me be the guinness pig ...

beer3.gif Andy
neo914-6
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 10 2006, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 9 2006, 09:37 PM)
Andy's doing the 3.6 <-> 901 thing.  Let him blow his up.  :rotfl:

yeah, let me be the guinness pig ...

beer3.gif Andy

next thing you know someone will hook a 5.7L V8 to a 901/914... rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Not a 3.6 but a 4.7... ohmy.gif 901 works good for me.
Duffster
Yeah... but you only use 4th and 5th.... biggrin.gif laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Duffster @ Feb 10 2006, 10:11 AM)
Yeah... but you only use 4th and 5th.... biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Ya, and My throttle cable only opens the throttle body to 2/3's laugh.gif
nine14cats
3.6 envy....I have it cuz I want one in my 914!..... laugh.gif

Patrick, I don't know how long a 901 will last, but the torque of a 993 can't be all that good. If its street use...maybe it will last. If it's track...especially autox humping...my opinion is no.

What's your timeline for getting one mated to a 3.6? The reason I ask is believe it or not I have ANOTHER flipped ring and pinion 915 with an open diff sitting on my parts shelf at home...my sickness with The Beast was such that I was thinking of having a spare 915 box to swap into the car since the 3.6 has a tendency to eat even 915's with track use. wacko.gif

I may be persuaded to part with it..... beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

happy11.gif

Of course...I was saving it for that rainy 3.6 day.....

or maybe SirAndy would like dibs on it?

laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Feb 10 2006, 07:44 PM)
or maybe SirAndy would like dibs on it?

sure, how much?

ohmy.gif Andy
KenH
Bill - WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 930 Box??

Ken
wbergtho
My friend (Randy Beck from Upland, CA) had a 914/6 all out race car running 320HP and never once blew his 901 up. He says that if you are really smooth and know how to drive...a 901 will take quite a beating with almost any 300-350 HP 911 flat six. These motors can produce pretty decent HP but not enough torque (what kills a trans) to blow a 901 up. If you beat the thing like a stupid high school kid....sure you'll blow it to smithereens!!!!!! If you have a torque monster motor...you may consider a 915...or a 930 box. If you have more money than sense...a nice inverted 12K G50/50 set up is killer. My point is this...If you have around 300 HP running a 3.2 or 3.6 and you blow your 901 up....YOU DID SOMETHING STUPID AND NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE MORE SMOOTHLY! (Rick Ollah runs a 928 motor through a 901)

Bill
ppickerell
Bill,
Thanks for the offer, but let Andy have it if he is anywhere close to ready. I will probably run my 4 for this season, but even that may not happen. dry.gif
nine14cats
Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear you may not have the teener running this year.... sad.gif I can relate.... dry.gif

Are you going to run one of your other P cars?

Hi Ken,

Yep...still have the 930 box...that's on another shelf.... huh.gif

Don't tell Doris..... av-943.gif

Bill P.
slivel
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 11 2006, 12:03 AM)
My friend (Randy Beck from Upland, CA) had a 914/6 all out race car running 320HP and never once blew his 901 up. He says that if you are really smooth and know how to drive...a 901 will take quite a beating with almost any 300-350 HP 911 flat six. These motors can produce pretty decent HP but not enough torque (what kills a trans) to blow a 901 up. If you beat the thing like a stupid high school kid....sure you'll blow it to smithereens!!!!!! If you have a torque monster motor...you may consider a 915...or a 930 box. If you have more money than sense...a nice inverted 12K G50/50 set up is killer. My point is this...If you have around 300 HP running a 3.2 or 3.6 and you blow your 901 up....YOU DID SOMETHING STUPID AND NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE MORE SMOOTHLY! (Rick Ollah runs a 928 motor through a 901)

Bill

Must not be the same Randy Beck that I know. Years ago when the Randy I know drove a blue 914/6 (number 6) with a wing, he would regularly change out a gearbox during the weekend. I was once at Laguna Seca and I had a failure of my gearbox with the 3 liter. This was on the first session on Saturday so I was pretty bummed but Randy was there and had a spare box that he rented to me for the weekend - very nice of him. The box had a locker in it so I had lots of fun adjusting to the new technique of driving with a locker as opposed to a Quaife.
I now run a 3.4 liter and am stessing the gearbox pretty hard. Starting my second race season with this box - hope it lasts.
wbergtho
Is this the same Randy Beck we're talking about? I believe his number was 8. I was only relaying info that he has told me personally over the years. I've seen him race many times and have raced against him and i can say he is one of the best and smoothest drivers out there. His heart rate during a race is probably about 50 bpm. I think we are indeed talking about the same guy. His car was blue...with a wing and an aero tunnel through the hood (for extra zesty downforce...weeeeeeeee!) Anyway, hope your stuff holds together.

Bill
slivel
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Feb 11 2006, 05:48 PM)
Is this the same Randy Beck we're talking about? I believe his number was 8. I was only relaying info that he has told me personally over the years. I've seen him race many times and have raced against him and i can say he is one of the best and smoothest drivers out there. His heart rate during a race is probably about 50 bpm. I think we are indeed talking about the same guy. His car was blue...with a wing and an aero tunnel through the hood (for extra zesty downforce...weeeeeeeee!) Anyway, hope your stuff holds together.

Bill

Bill,
Yes, same guy. And I beileve that you are right that his number was 8 (not 6). He is a good driver and a good guy. The years that I raced with him I was running a 3 liter and he had a variety of different engines in his 914 - from 3.0 to 3.6 as I recall. Most races were with POC. He usually ran big slicks and obviously stressed his gearbox quite a bit with all of that power and the slicks. I do remenber more than one occassion when he changed out a box during the weekend - hence his habit of carrying along a spare (something that I have not yet done - but probably should). Last time that I saw Randy on the track was about two years ago at an HSR West race weekend at Willow Springs. Randy was there with one of his Lister replicas. Fast car but skinny tires so he was not able to corner all that well. Another fast 914 of that era (mid to late 90's) was Terry Ollila who ran a black and orange 914 with a 3.6 or possibly 3.8 in it.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.