Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT/BMW 2002 Tii Thoughts, Comments, Smart Remarks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s

Hey guy, I just moved to Puerto Rico about a month ago and have been looking for a classic to wrench on while here. I haven't found any 914s yet, but did run into a 73 2002 sitting on the side of the road. I don't know a lot about the cars, but have heard very good thinks(for a Beamer anyway), and think it would fill the 914 void quit well while down here. I haven't bought it yet, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specks on the car, after one phone conversation, hope to know more and have pics by Saturday.

73 2002 Tii
47k or 147k
Original FI replaced with a Carb(not sure of type yet)
Owner states the car was running very well until he blew a hose, lost all the coolant and the car over headed. Clams it needs the Head gasket replaced now, but it can be started it with a jump(dead battery) and runs, but will over heat. Also clams he has a Mechanic that can change the gasket for $100
Not sure how long the cars been sitting, but will probably(definitely) need new tires.
Owner lost the key, and has been hot-wiring it to start, not sure if he has the bottom of the steering col um cover.
Rust wise, it looks pretty solid. A little surface rust around the edges of some body panels, but no vi sable cancer or holes(but I haven't really gotten inside the car yet to search)
Original faded white paint
The owners was asking $2300 before the overheat, now is asking $1400. Mentally, I cap non-running cars at $500, unless they are 911s, but I know this car is "the" classic BMW, so I really don't know what it's worth.

So how ever you can help would be great. Is this something I should consider? I'm hoping to get a better look Saturday(with some pics).
How easy is it to warp/crack one of these heads? How expensive is that to repair/replace?
How much for
Ignition switches
Front bumper(it doesn't have it)
How much to reinstall the OME FI?

What I'm hoping to do is get the car running quickly and cheaply smile.gif Use it as a second/back-up car while in PR. Then fork over the Grand to ship it back to the states, and do the body and paint here. Keep it for a while as my other car with the 914. Between two 30 year old cars, I should be able to make it to work at-least somewhat regularly smile.gif
Thanks guys
Samson
Cap'n Krusty
Removing the FI, which is made of unobtanium, effectively removes any value the car may have had. The fact that it has a blown head gasket (and probably other damage, as well), removes any remaining value. You really wouldn't want a car owned by a guy that was too cheap to make it run right with the FI (which is pretty relaible, BTW), and careless (cheap) enough to let the hoses get in such a condition that they would burst, would you? The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
great cars. very fun to drive. similar to a 914....

bummer on the induction.
a real Tii had kugelfischer Mechanical Fuel Injection....

does it have dual weber DCOE's? (almost as cool(
Howard
As much fun as you can have with the engine in front of you.
tesserra
I had and loved my 2002s.
Be VERY careful with an overheated motor.
Buy it at a price discouted enough to pay for a new head and the labor to install it.
I am a very careful owner, and I blew the head gasket once, the head was cracked.

Rust issues?
Is it really a tii?
Without the fuel injection do you know how to check?

"DANGER Will Robinson" (is anybody here old enough to get that reference?)

George
KaptKaos
I almost bought one once. Never owned, but here is the little that I know.

Rear shock towers are in the trunk, if there is rust there - major $$ to fix.

A "real" Tii will have a clock built into the top center of the dash. If its not there, its not a real Tii.

Real Tiis had larger brakes and roll bars and such. Not sure you'll be able to tell the difference.

Tii injection (kuegelfischer, or something like that) is $$ to tune and fix. Parts are scarce and people that know how to tune it more so. Likely why it has a carb.

Replacing a head gasket might only be $100, but that likely doesn't include machine work. If the head is damaged, expect to pay more.

All I got, hope it helps.

- Joe

TimT
I owned a real Tii for awhile wub.gif wub.gif

triple check the car for rust..check the front suspension bushings carefully the handling can get really wierd if the tc bushing are shot

and since the mechanical injection was removed.. its "just" a 2002, which is a pretty good car anyway

Tii serial numbers
Hammy
don't know anything about them but I think they're some of the coolest looking cars out there smile.gif (likes boxy European cars)
newto914s
I know man, why would anyone replace FI with carbs cool.gif
I didn't realize how much of an issue it was with the 2002s though. I'm hoping he's got the parts sitting in his garage or something, but am not holding my breath.
Cap'n Krusty I agree about the cheap owner signs, but I think some of it has to do with being in Puerto Rico. The envirnment is really rugh on the cars, and people don't treat(or Drive) their cars like they do in the States. And if they do they want a fortune for them. Their is another Tii advertized on-line down here, and they're ask $17k for it. I saw a 72 914 listed on-line and they wanted 9k.
racerx7

I used to own a 2002. Loved & miss that car now.

I think a blown head gasket / hose lose / no coolant =
warped head. If this happened to somebody you knew
and trusted and they said they turned off the car right away.
then maybe it is just a head gasket.

For an older small car they are built very nice. The doors have
some weight to them. Every seems to be screwed together nice.
rick 918-S
wub.gif Check my blog. BTW: It's For sale aktion035.gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
The head will need to be cut. Single carbs work, but twin side draft webers will wake it up nicely! The 73 will have the open chamber head with turbo size valves. Look in the head under the intak for E12. The 121 head is closed chamber with smaller valves. My car has 121 head with E12 valves,
newto914s
Teener heads are like 1k+ to have done. I would imagine this head to be much simpler=cheaper by comperison, mabye a couple hundred. I'm sure I'm wrong though.
Someone's selling a complete Kugelfischer(Item number: 8035729503) FI system on Ebay right know. Starting bid is $475. What does he think he'd got a complete L-jet system or something lol2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (newto914s @ Feb 9 2006, 08:35 PM)
Teener heads are like 1k+ to have done. I would imagine this head to be much simpler=cheaper by comperison, mabye a couple hundred. I'm sure I'm wrong though.
Someone's selling a complete Kugelfischer(Item number: 8035729503) FI system on Ebay right know. Starting bid is $475. What does he think he'd got a complete L-jet system or something lol2.gif

Very prone to failure. Very expensive to fix. Factory FI cars bring the most money on resale. But I would rather have a hopped up car for less money, and thrash the s#!+ out of it! Very toss-able and predictable.

Like Howard said! agree.gif
Porcharu
I've allways wanted one of those. I would have one if I didn't find my 914 last year - look for rust. One of my college roommates grandfather had a perfect stock one (a TI I think) very cool cars - I still want one. One of my favorite "tall tales" of my fathers is about a ride to the airport in a 2002 in Germany in the winter after locking the keys in the trunk - the flight only happened once a week. After breaking into the trunk - difficult on a TI because the rear seat area is beefed up - they drove at something like 160 KPH to the airport with 4 people in the car in the snow with the trunk lid flapping in the wind, any faster and the studs would fly out of the tires. This was in 71'
smile.gif
szuccaro
All the comments so far are right on.... removing FI is sacrilege on a Tii car, and finding a working Kugelfisher is a challenge in and of itself. Shock towers are prone to rust, hell, the whole car is prone to rust. 914 owners know that all too well. If it is a real Tii, and the body is decent, AND you can get it for a good price, it is worth it. These 02s are valuable, and sought after. Every day that passes they are going up in value. Nice ones are selling for $5 - 7k; those in pristine condition are running $10-15k; and show winners and custom Tiis are upwards of $20k. Bought mine a few years ago for $18k - its really one of a kind. Recommend making the same post on the 02 board (Roadfly.com).

Here's some pics of my BMW 2002: http://home.comcast.net/~zuccaro/photo_Car...ars_BMW2002.htm

Wish you the best of luck... let us know what happens. Steve
Hammy
Steve... beautiful 2002!
mrobin
I had one and boy are they prone to rust......heck I think they rust more than a FIAT..
tdgray
Sampson... What the hell are you doing in the 'Rico?

BTW. As mentioned before watch the blown head gasket thing. Had a 3.0 CS that appeared to have a blown gasket. After initial tear down found out that I blew a hole through a piston. wacko.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif
olav
QUOTE (tesserra @ Feb 9 2006, 07:43 PM)
I had and loved my 2002s.
Be VERY careful with an overheated motor.
Buy it at a price discouted enough to pay for a new head and the labor to install it.
I am a very careful owner, and I blew the head gasket once, the head was cracked.

Rust issues?
Is it really a tii?
Without the fuel injection do you know how to check?

"DANGER Will Robinson" (is anybody here old enough to get that reference?)

George

The move came out in 1998!

Lost in Space (1998)

I guess you're too old to remember! smile.gif
ken914
There is a 914-6 for sale in Panorama that is located on PR. Been for sale for a LONG time. Has a 2.7 and A/C.
tesserra
I did not see the movie.
My reference is the television show.

George
URY914
When I was deciding what to buy for a car 27 years ago it came down to a 2002 tii or a 914. The 914 was a little cheaper. Soooooo...here I am. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
When I was looking at cars to restore, my choices were a 914, a 2002, or a M37/Dodge powerwagon truck (in that order)

I love the 2002, it is a great car. But it has a lot of the same issues as the 914. Rust being the main one. Excellent handling being another, and smallness being the third.

Zach

blitZ
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 10 2006, 06:42 AM)
When I was deciding what to buy for a car 27 years ago it came down to a 2002 tii or a 914. The 914 was a little cheaper. Soooooo...here I am. biggrin.gif

Back in 72, I went with my older brother to Tampa to look at cars with him. We went to the Porsche/Audi dealer checked out the 914, astounded with the drive. Drove the 2002tii, the power was amazing, laid rubber in 3 gears. He eventually got the 914 1.7, which was a blast and why I have one now.
URY914
QUOTE (blitZ @ Feb 10 2006, 07:40 AM)

Back in 72, I went with my older brother to Tampa to look at cars with him. We went to the Porsche/Audi dealer checked out the 914, astounded with the drive. Drove the 2002tii, the power was amazing, laid rubber in 3 gears. He eventually got the 914 1.7, which was a blast and why I have one now.

Les,

Do you remember where in Tampa the dealership was in '72?

Paul
blitZ
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 10 2006, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (blitZ @ Feb 10 2006, 07:40 AM)

Les,

Do you remember where in Tampa the dealership was in '72?

Paul

Not exactly, I was only 12 at the time. I grew up in Lakeland, my folks are still there. Seems like it was in your area off Busch Blvd?

Actually, I think it may have been called Temple Porsche and Audi. Sorry, seem to have toasted a few brain cells since then.
Carlitos Way
Slight thread hijack!!!

I lived in Lakeland from 1980-1983.

Hijack over! wavey.gif wavey.gif wavey.gif
blitZ
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Feb 10 2006, 09:01 AM)
Slight thread hijack!!!

I lived in Lakeland from 1980-1983.

Hijack over! wavey.gif wavey.gif wavey.gif

hijacked.gif

Cool, I was there then.
914-8
Bummer on the injection being removed.

Watch for rust. Not sure of the climate in PR, but being an island it seems almost impossible for a 2002 living there to NOT be terminally rusted out.

A rusted out Tii with no injection isn't worth much.
carreraguy
Way back then we needed a new car to replace our beatup '67 Mustang 2+2 "Fastback"; I wanted a 2002Tii, my wife wanted a 142E Volvo - anyone car to guess which one we got? I was totally PW'd in those days! (Still am) dry.gif

BTW - Steve - if you can't bring your Teener to the breakfast, bring the 2002! Beautiful!

OT - was it "Robbie the Robot" in the Lost in Space TV show that used to say that or was Robbie the Robot the name of the robot in "Forbidden Planet" - one of my favorite classic sci-fi movies?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.